Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

No

Wow, SuperValu Navan down to only 10% masks the 2 times I was in today.

Nice to see the fear lifting quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

No

Have seen less people wearing masks today, I think as the days roll on less and less people will be wearing them. Was in a circle k today, about 10 customers in the shop and not a mask to be seen

Where is the “No, but will have one handy, for the moment at least, in case I go into a small business where the person prefers for their own reasons”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

Pointless even trying to explain to some here , Tom .

Imagine the same posters who keep posting that others are 'brainwashed ' because they CHOOSE to keep wearing a mask in certain situations , but they themselves are posting about not wearing a mask if not legally enforceable in a healthcare situation with the most vulnerable people ?!

So much traffic on here from posters "who don't care about masks anymore " yet are watching what others do and commenting about it and questioning their intelligence .. the same posters who have been incessantly posting about " freedom" throughout the last 2 years .

How about other people's right not to read such hypocrisy ? Its freedom for only people who agree, is it?

But sure why wear it on a flight if you won't wear one in a healthcare situation? Oh maybe because you'd get your axx kicked off pretty quick but you will be the big man fronting up to healthcare workers ?

If you want to wear a mask, wear it . If you don't want to , don't .

People's reasons are their own and as its personal choice its nobody's business one way or the other .

But for anybody to come on here after 2 years of this and say they won't respect that healthcare situations require masks, is a complete and utter miscreant who deserves no regard .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No

Is this a healthcare worker rant? Because it feels very much like a projection from a healthcare worker unhappy with conditions in work while the rest of society moves on from COVID. At least COVID shone a light on the health system and had society making it easier for healthcare workers by making sure they weren't overworked the last two years with overflowing hospitals. In the same way that doctors in A&E get extremely annoyed at the amount of alcohol related incidents taking up resources yet people don't really seem to care , it's understandable to be frustrated that people are largely not worrying about any of the COVID public health advice, but unfortunately that's just how it is now all restrictions are gone.

At the same time I would highlight something for you; that a person not wearing a mask in a healthcare setting is not a COVID risk. It's important to remember that. A person who is infected with COVID is a COVID risk, mask wearing or not

• Advertisement

Like you would know tbh after a post like that .

The previous one was not addressed to you , but you rant away about others ranting . A post trying to make mine personal I think but fail as it does not apply to me . A load of rubbish about HCWs and the health system showing yourself up I think .

Another one shouting into the abyss Amadan . Masks are gone for you and most. Be happy and try not to be trying to bring people down.

I don't want restrictions back or continuing, as you would know if you had read my posts,but there are still risks to vulnerable especially in healthcare.

If those people want to or need to wear masks leave them and leave them be .

I wear a mask everyday at work but don't wish that on others. Where or when have I said that?

I was addressing a poster who was referring to the premise that it was not a legal requirement to wear a mask in such circumstances and as such they would not be doing so!

What you and that poster fail to understand if you think you don't have to wear a mask to protect those people in that environment ,is that any person may be infected now asymptomatic and not wearing masks in that environment is risking the health of people immunocompromised etc , who do not react well to any Covid infection, a risk healthcare will not take .

I have to think that this is a wind up really by you and that other poster because it is hard to believe that level of ignorance is persisting at this late stage .

So get over it , if you need hospital or any other medical care ..masks there ain't going anywhere for the time being .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

On your last sentence , who do you think is more likely to pass on Covid to a healthcare worker ?

A .. Someone who is infected with Covid wearing a mask .

B . Someone who is infected with Covid but isn't wearing a mask .

C. Maybe its the Covid Fairy?

Honestly couldn't make it up... Sounds like a line from Trump back in the bleach injection days.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

It's pretty obvious why I'll give the impression of wearing a mask on a plane...

It's the only place remaining where a mask is legally required, and it's a torture that needs to be endured in order to get away from this shíthole for a break.

I won't wear a face rag unless it's legally required, and unfortunately in my case, I also need to wear them at work if I move around the building, and even at that, I'm doing well to have the mask near my face.

Masks are virtue signalling rubbish, they're nothing more than window dressing, not everyone is a Vulnerable, it's time to move on people, King Tony has declared that the covid war is over, lose the masks and get back to normal...

Enjoy it while you can because we might'nt have much time left to enjoy it if Putin gets his way...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And that is why it's pointless still trying to explain after 2 years. Ignore and let these people off, you can't teach the blindly selfish. Honestly, people who wanted the masks gone seem to be making the most noise about masks being gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

You say someone "infected with COVID is a COVID risk, mask wearing or not" and that a person without covid not wearing a mask isn't a covid risk. No argument there.

However there is also no argument against the fact that it is very common for people to have the disease without knowing, and pass it onto someone more vulnerable. .

It it also a fact (and pretty basic common sense) that a bit of fabric over your mouth and nose reduces the amount of water vapor you expell into the air. COVID spreads through that vapor so masks reduce the risk to those more vulnerable.

So considering those facts everyone in a healthcare setting should assume they are positive and take precautions to reduce the risk to others by simply wearing a mask when they go inside the buildings, not a big ask.

Why are you so against reducing the risk to others? It's hospitals we are talking about here.... you know, where the most sick and vulnerable people generally are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

No

The wife and I are both fully vaccinated, but both caught CoVid in January. I was surprised at how different symptoms were for us both. Neither of us have any underlying conditions, but for the wife, it wasn't even like a bad cold, it was like a pretty minor cold, albeit with a small residual cough that lasted a bit longer. I had a fever to the point I was hallucinating, a very severe cough, could barely make it out of bed for days and when I did, walking from the bedroom to the sitting room would have me exhausted. I was feeling fatigued and weak for weeks afterwards. Difficult to ascertain why our responses were so different.

That being said, having now been fully vaccinated AND recovered quite recently, I'm not terribly worried about catching it again, and reckon I'm unlikely to be a transmission risk for others for a while and I rather enjoyed popping down to do the shopping without having a mask on. If I suspected I had it again, I'd isolate and probably stick an aul mask on for a week or two afterwards.

I still leave some in the car and it wouldn't bother me at all if someone still worried about it asked me to wear mine in their place of business and I've no issue wearing one in a healthcare setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

No

I'd say masks are definitely being worn less and less as the days go on from what I'm seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Huge variations it would seem. SuperValu here was 90% wearing masks yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

With all respect, you are not really best placed to comment on anyone's motivations given you yourself are an outlier who has decided to consciously and deliberately distance yourself from others regardless of any possible covid risks. That's entirely your choice of course, but it means you are hardly objective.

Personally I love how the narrative has shifted to those not wearing masks being "selfish" and complaining about them asking why people are still wearing masks, when the mask advocates spent 18 months complaining constantly about people not wearing masks (properly) and how it's not a big deal/get on with it/"follow the science/experts" etc

Since NPHET (the same "experts following the science") decided that masks were no longer a requirement, mask advocates have suddenly decided their expertise and advice is no longer good enough and have been wailing to anyone and everyone that the sky was about to fall in, and trying to prolong the restrictions. When they failed, it's now that others are selfish and they themselves are protecting others, are more civic minded etc. Yet it's those who are moving on who are the hypocrites, selfish, and obsessed.....

Let's be honest.. With the exception of those who are actually medically vulnerable or living with those who are, mask wearing has become (and always was) more of a morality crusade and soapbox to complain about "irresponsible" friends, neighbours, colleagues, and even random strangers. For a country obsessed with curtain twitching and smug pontificating it was the perfect opportunity for some to climb up on their high horse. It's extremely transparent and fooling no-one.

There is a third group though.. Those who have been genuinely affected by 2 years of obsessive coverage, constant negativity and scaremongering (remember the NPHET concern-o-meter) and invasive regulations, and who still think that there's a deadly mass-killing virus out there like we feared in early 2020. For those people, mask wearing is a damaging ongoing reminder of this fear and only serves to feed it. The impact of the "crisis" on mental health is most certainly real and concerning and such people need to be reassured and encouraged to let go of the anxiety and helped to rejoin normal society, conscious that it will take time but is an essential next step for them.

But, as I keep saying, it's time everyone moves on now. We've a lot more serious issues that need to be dealt with at this point.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

No

The question still remains - when are the vulnerable not going to be vulnerable?

Because we keep hearing, 'oh I'll wear it around the vulnerable'. I think there must be some still living in dreamland thinking Covid will magically disappear. (I'd love this too - but unfortunately it's around forever). When will it not be ok to protect the vulnerable with a flimsy cloth mask that's been in a pocket with phones and keys all day? Surely there's a line somewhere, is it cases? Hospitalisations? Feelings?

And, I understand healthcare settings of course. But not even from a Covid point of view. Irish healthcare settings have been rife with hospital acquired infections for years. Maybe trying to keep Covid out will have some benefits in keeping all of the other superbugs and infections out, too. Including Boots for example as a healthcare setting is a stretch, given their shops are 95% perfume and gifts these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No

It's almost a superstitious thing now to wear a mask in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

That’s a change from the masked crusaders crying about naked faces over the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It seems like the anti side of the argument around masks is still not happy here, even the mandate for mask wearing is lifted. So nothing changed in the last two years. Cry babies will stay cry babies doesn't matter what. Proves only one thing, most of these posters are wind up merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

We seem to be early adopters of change. Remember when the Euro rolled out & there was meant to be a 6 week transition with the punt. About 3 days in there wasn't a punt left in the country.

I've just been in the Centra on the Monread road in Naas, 1pm rush hour, not a single person wore a mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just back from Dunnes in Dublin and at least 50% still wore masks . Including myself as I had to pop into the chemist so left it on .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No

It does appear that chemists are particularly dangerous. Pubs are grand.

No

Allow me to quote.. myself! 😁

Personally I love how the narrative has shifted to those not wearing masks being "selfish" and complaining about them asking why people are still wearing masks, when the mask advocates spent 18 months complaining constantly about people not wearing masks (properly) and how it's not a big deal/get on with it/"follow the science/experts" etc

Since NPHET (the same "experts following the science") decided that masks were no longer a requirement, mask advocates have suddenly decided their expertise and advice is no longer good enough and have been wailing to anyone and everyone that the sky was about to fall in, and trying to prolong the restrictions. When they failed, it's now that others are selfish and they themselves are protecting others, are more civic minded etc. Yet it's those who are moving on who are the hypocrites, selfish, and obsessed.....

... Happy to help!

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

actually chemist are probably slightly more risky as many people with cold symptoms will be going in for meds

Plus many elderly and vulnerable need to go into chemists and unlikely to go into pubs as much . So i will protect them when I see fit .

But dont let that stand in your way of being critical .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And what does it have to do with me, or my post?

No

Try reading it again.. particularly the bolded parts. Answers are within!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

No

fun fact, bleach kills all viruses, including covid afaik. people reckon that trump overheard fauci or some of his advisors talking about the subject and somehow in his head manifested injecting it into the body.

besides the injecting part, the orange twat wasnt a million miles off..

Firstly , don't be talking about high horses when you are very much in danger of falling yourself there !

There are some who have moralised about mask wearing ..few ... vast majority who are for mask wearing in their own particular circumstances have good reason which they should not have to explain to anybody frankly ...none of their business .

That out of the way, the issue here for me is not others NOT wearing a mask nor have I ever entered the fray as regards those who do not wear them or wear them properly.

The guidance has been there and there are always people who will disagree and as we have seen that was a small minority although vocal on these threads .

I disagree with your comment as regards people' going against 'NPHET advice now.

The advice is precisely that those who choose to wear one should do so , especially in enclosed indoor spaces like busy shops and transport , and if immunocompromised or vulnerable .

The only people who seem to have a problem here with others choosing to wear a mask apears to those who have been advocating " freedom" all along .

From what I have read most people have done what they do, and will do with no reference to those minority anti everything folk , and now have moved on . No " fear " , just common sense .

Maybe you should try your own advice there . Not good for your mental health to be worrying about what others do all the time /s

O..k .. 😁

• Advertisement

@hotmail.com its not the premises themselves ie pubs and pharmacies .

It's the type of people that have to go into pharmacies for their meds as I think you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement