Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

As bad as things are, remember, they can always get worse.............

https://twitter.com/root_nomad/status/1497254180108570633?s=20&t=0BNhWOmDAeo6MdOwSAm-QQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Got 21,000 gals of pig slurry delivered today (3x lorry tanker loads) mixed into aprox 30,000 gals of cattle slurry. No charge from piggery just pay the contractor - 3 hours work aprox, dunno how much yet for that?... €300? With a ton of 18.6.12 costing in the region of €750, the pig slurry @ 25.5.20 for 1,000 gals must be worth €800?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We’re in unchartered times now though …I wouldn’t be whinging it or calling a rep or suppliers bluff on fertiliser atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Isn't there enough seaweed all around Ireland? Maybe it is a time to get some investment in this field as it may be a win win situation with domestic produce, jobs and all that modern green stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I don't expect it to go down anyway, but the justification for a price rise isn't their either, I'm 10 mins from a few very big suppliers and genuinely I've never seen the yards as full, in a couple of months it could all be different, but as of now if it does rise it's on the back of greed and uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭DBK1

CAN €700, Urea €900, 19-0-15+S €740.

Delivery next week, payment before Easter.

I’ll work out what I can get away with for the season and order in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Western European fertilizer use is small on a global scale.

The biggest European fertilizer company is a bit player globally.

China and Russia control a majority of the fertilizer industry.

The yards might be full locally but the pressure globally is one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That a helluva deal in these times - Hopefully increasing input prices will lead to a much better appreciation and utilization of slurry across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Due to idiotic energy policies in the last 10 years(same as here🙄), Germany is now massively dependent on Russian gas supplies to keep the lights on so is in no position to do anything in this area

Ireland and wider Europe need to look at continental solutions around energy, fertiliser and food.

Authoritarian regimes that cannot be trusted can’t be relied upon for essentials. European based alternatives are essential.

Europe should get focused on energy and food security.

Invading a country after the head man and his local diplomat saying this wasn’t going to happen. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

The solutions should have been put in place before the plug was pulled on carbon emitting sources.

Utterly daft to have put in to leglislation, penal laws and regulations, that will cripple industries and households, withoit viable and affordable alternatives.

Incapables...

How many of them do you think could organise and operate a farm yard through spring time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

2500 gals of slurry on silage ground and follow with a bag &1/2 of CAN per acre. Have aprox 80,000 gals of slurry to go out now. Only closing 35 acres this years as we have lots of silage left over. A bag of CAN or 18.6.12 on the remainder of grazing ground. Thats it. No more manure being bought here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya Slurry is an often underappreciated nutrient. However you have to have the organic capacity to import it, this effects your nitrates allowance.

If you import 1k gallons of pug slurry it's about 18-20 kgs organic N if I remember right. There fore 20k gallons is about 400kgs or equivalent to the nitrates of about 7 in no of 1-2 year old cattle got 12 months

Nothing is ever imposed politically until it has to be. The evil day is always left as long as possible. Solutions cost money and again are left to the last minute.

It the same with households nobody spends money until there is no other choice. Housing regulations were put off in this way in the noughties as it was too much of an impact. Because off that ten years of house building was at a lower standard than it should have been.

All these facts have been staring us in the face for the last ten years but we decided to ignore them. In 2-5 years time when calf exports are banned you will have lads cribbing and crying. Look at the cribbing and crying over the EU calf and incalf cow rules. Remember the cry of upward only convergence.

It up to any business to be aware of what is happening around it. Too many lads running around without acknowledging what is happening.

Nobody like change to be successful you have to manage it and adapt with it. I would not for a minute not acknowledge that these changes have been telegraphed for the last few years. But most are unwilling to be aware of them.

It was plough on it will not happen and someone else can cut back.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

And you've weaned youself off of fossil fuels? Fair play..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No I have not, but I have put my system and house in a way that at present it is manageable. I will continue with this as time goes on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is superphosphate still around?

Yes. No way should an entire continent be dependent on one source for nearly half its gas.

Seven odd hundred a ton for fertiliser seems mad but will it be even worse next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Maybe it was like basic foods for too long. " cheap " .if any good comes off expensive fertiliser now, it will be a better appreciation of slurry from stock of all types & more careful & considered application of it & fertilisers & less off a hurry to get it spread before the rain at times.

I'm thinking the margin growing at the back of the ditch in a silage field will be more visible this year, when it comes to mowing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Wouldn’t necessarily disagree but unfortunately weather and storage space dictate a lot of the time so it’s near on impossible to get the right time to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Pasture sward +S. 825 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bought a lorry load of cut sward today .

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

840. Delivered. Was a cheaper one for 820

Well if you don't put out fertiliser you'll have nothing. I was afraid of there being no fertiliser available when I normally buy in early April. Have 3.5 tonnes of fertiliser in the shed that I bought last August. Hopefully that's me done for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depending on what lads are spreading and output etc could be around the 6c/ L mark if bought at this years prices. Ration up around 50 to 75% as well. Milk price is up but isn't rising at the rates of inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Whats the general plan for the next few years with lads? Hope inputs fall, farmgate prices rise or change something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Hard to know. Loans to pay and investment to make, have taken on extra ground so reduced sr for now but will have higher costs getting things up to speed in first 2 years anyway. However may allow more clover to be put in at home faster, still skeptical on heavier land and clover use particularly when calving in Feb. See a lot of lads with pics of cows out full-time etc, grand on land like that, if I'm an hour or 2 late or if rain comes and they start walking, fields don't be long turning.

If I didn't have debt and investment requirements things may be different but pulling back or changing things drastically could be even more of a risk

Advertisement