Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

With the way grain prices are heading, how much are the likes of dairy nuts going to cost from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

It's a hell of mess now, and I wouldn't like to be a central banker that for sure. As Warren buffet said when the tide goes out you see who's swimming without swimwear, or something to that effect anyway ha. Hard to see interest rates going crazy though with government debt levels across the world the way they are.

All we can do is mind our own patch as best we can I suppose and be thankful we haven't bombs falling around us.

Back to fertiliser I have mainly 18 6 12 in the yard and urea for the first round of grazing. About 50 percent of what I used last year.

If I'm to get the rest of my manure now would ye suggest cut sward along with slurry for silage and use the 18s for grazing paddocks or buy CANn for grazing and use the 18s on silage ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭farmertipp

can at 705 atm. might look cheap in a fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Id say lads would be better keeping a few less and getting whatever milk they get of grass with reasonable fert and meal. All depends what milk price does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

You’re not wrong

I’d have to keep fair few less to make a difference, be aswell keep the output up and get the extra money in in IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I think other countries are going to hurt more from higher fertilizer prices. New Zealand for sure, they are completely addicted to cheap fertilizer so they might have to cut back a lot more than we have to. If ya can keep down the costs within your own control then it might see some great profits at the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

..https://youtu.be/tJWZJ1Lb04A

I don't know what their actual production per acre is ,but they're using feic all fert ,

If you're in a largely clover system , with little meal fed , and a high milk price ( because of world price ,) then even if your production is down your profit per acre should be way up ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I never thought I’d see the day but I will have to become vegetarian.

Start with that quorn shite and wafer thin ham on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I could be shooting myself in the foot re cost and demand.

But teagasc should have been looking at regenerative methods long ago. And by that I mean foliar and soil feeding.

Farmers are totally clueless here in this country. I'm going to insult ye's now. But the majority of farmers here are being led instead of leading. And ye're being led to put more money into industry's coffers.

There's a group of farmers involved in a group called BASE Ireland not a member myself but what they do is true without looking to improve profits outside of the farm. I'm on a few social sites. And I've met a few members and we contact each other through direct messages. It's how I started foliar on grass. Well that and listening to a dairy farmer at a Nots event. If a plant can be killed with gly it can be fed with foliar.

I stook up a post lately with a bit of a picture on another forum. Well the amount of interest that's out there. And I'm years, decades even behind the guys with the fancy mixes that don't post on social media.

Anyway.. interest is there. But farmers don't know about it.

Waiting to see if you'll be accused of being unhelpful now, my bet is not 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Good loser

That stuff doesn't impress me atall. From what I know of it. Stick to the mainstream is a good motto.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Most NZ farmers will rock through this. The payout relative to their meagre feed and fert inputs puts them in a fantastic position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭morphy87

Talking to a man Thursday night that works in a fertilizer production plant, he was telling me fertilizer is now gone so expensive the last few days that they won’t be importing any more for the year as if the price drops back they will be left with a yard full of expensive fertilizer, he said they have enough in there yard till probably mid April but when that’s gone that’s it he said, and this is a big company he works for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Don’t know …they wouldn’t be light users of fertiliser …feed yes but environmental regulations are at long last are catching up with them …things like slurry storage and silage pits on proper concrete slabs ….not out in a field etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Horse in the milk, might never see mid 40s prices again.. 18 nut gone to 400 with arrabawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There’s liffeys and Roches feeds locally Kev …400 is mad but feed all going to take a fair jump now due to Ukraine situation …fixed here till end March …nearly afraid to ask after that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Everything down here close to or over the 400, whats in the mixes ye are feeding for 307?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

From now on everybody will have to watch marginal production. They will need to look at the effect of reduction and expansion on profitability.

If present trends continue lads that have land rented will really have to do the figures. Nitrogen is 2.2 times the five year average, P&K about 1.5-1.8 times. If N goes another 200/ ton it will be 2.5 times the five year average. The fallout from this conflict could be N fertlizer at 5-700/ ton longterm.

If the new GLAS pays what it says it would for MSS I will definately do it. I would even consider it at present. It's an actual no brainer. John Heney made a good point in last year's FI. D pastures are capable of 7-8t DM/ HA with virtually no N compared to PR 12-14T at maybe needing 800 kgs urea and 400 of CAN.

The N cost at present prices would be well over1k euro. Maybe a 6-700 euro difference. While milk can carry that cost, I do not think beef can.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Will you full reseed or stitch? What you thinking on the silage ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Silage ground will remain grass at present. I have most of the farm reseeded and these awards are very open. Si I will try these first.

Will see how these go before old permanent swards

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Last I heard of NZ, they were feeding on average 1 ton of meal and only delivering 380 kgMS. It's not somewhere I would like to be myself. Too many cows and not enough milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Im in milk, it can pay for it at this years milk price, I’d it drops it’s a different story

weve no idle land here, we’re paying for every acre we’re farming so everything is working to its max and no room for mediocre production

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

With the health warning the weather plays ball and we don't get a 2018 type event, all bets would be off then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gouldings have withdrawn their price lists, can't get quotes off their own suppliers.

Its the length of time things continue will be the catch. One year may be manageable but after that who knows the price the farmer is paid will always drop before everything else so that must be kept on mind too for that period when sales won't cover output...

Has anybody done the figures on whether inflation in output has come close to matching the inflation in our inputs.?

Haven't had a minute the last few months but just tested positive for bloody covid so might get a chance to look at the figures this week and get my head around a few scenarios for the year.

That's the big fear, a fodder shortage next winter if weather goes against us a distinct possibility..I'm not going to sacrifice silage this year if I can help it at all, nothing as stressful as the year going around the country in April begging for silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was thinking the same...fellas will think twice about calling the contractor in this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Don't a full rundown here 3 weeks ago, just to make sure things where stacking up, they where provided no more potholes came about and their was a healthy enough margin of circa 7cpl after all costs where factored in excluding labour, with meal costs and fuel/electricity costs escalating at a frightening pace (this year's fertilizer is in the yard here) unless co-ops return a base price of 45 plus cent as a average for the year as a minimum, and the weather plays ball, will be lucky to break-even.....

Pretty sure will be cutting numbers back by 30 odd % for 2023, will milk planned numbers through 2022 and will fatten up empties and problem cows for the hook for march/April 23,

Advertisement