Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

• 11-02-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

The 2022 Garda Trainee recruitment campaign was finally announced. I'm starting a thread for people to discuss as they advance through the stages; in the vein of similar threads associated with previous campaigns.

Advertising Date

10/02/2022

Closing Date for Application

16/03/2022

Information Booklet

2235201_Final Information Booklet 2235201.pdf

Best of luck everybody!

Post edited by Physeter on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

PS: I've completed an application myself - I was surprised by how brief it was. No forms to fill at this stage? Form B etc is later in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Reece1233

Yeah the form that you fill with all your qualifications etc won’t be till after stage 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Hi everyone,

I was hoping this campaign was starting last year since I'm 35 years of age from January 16th. Does this disqualify from applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dean2024

Best of luck people going forward with the stages is anyone starting study the practice exams getting it tomorrow l am?no application form to fill out which was good hopefully use make it true all the stage's just worried about Maths

Worried about the maths myself

• Advertisement

To be eligible for selection as a Garda Trainee, an applicant must: 

(iv) be 18 years of age but not yet 35 years of age at midnight on the 16th March 2022.

Unfortunately Omega, I believe this means you are no longer a suitable candidate. I'm truly sorry.

I don't feel the need to pay for any sort of course just yet. The info booklet is explicit in mentioning no additional prep courses should be needed, and you will be supplied with examples / practice materials for the testing stages. GardaIP released an ebook there recently; 'How to Pass the Garda Recruitment Process'. I've started going through it recently, so I'll withhold recommending but it's a cheap entry point to at least start familiarizing yourself with the upcoming process.

How did u get that information booklet with all the example and practice exams in it please for the testing stage's cause l was about to pay for the course l was with career services for all the examples question's very cheap way to start off what your doing.maths gonna be tough let's Hope not tho.if l fail l go into the Garda reserves l will cause l Heard their recuriting soon this year Also.

Career services are good I update there website they also do webinars, but I’m not sure exactly where they get there information from, I will be contacting them tomorrow to see. I’ve also heard Garda I.P is good they do live webinars and they answer emails with any questions you may have about the recruitment, I’m also wondering how the pas are going to supervise all candidates for stage 1

For stage 1 for maths do they give u 20 secs per question for it do u no your anyone no.garda i.p is good more cheaper to buy the practice exams of it 120 rather an career services 189.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

I don't believe this. I'm well gutted. I was waiting for this campaign to start and I was expecting it to begin last year. This is sickening.

I’m not sure the time on the questions but the way I look at it you’ll answer some quick

Applied for the prison serivce they give me 20 secs per questions for the maths only this is my first time applying for the guards hopefully they don't give us a time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User 1234

Ring hrm just to be sure. It use to be that you could apply if you are 35 and 364days of age basically. It could very easily be a mistake. Just ring them and email them to confirm it.

Will be contacting HRM this morning.

Contacted HRM. No luck, I'm too old. Good luck to everyone who is applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mxrrk

Head across the water and join up in the uk, or else the psni will be recruiting this year or next. If it’s a real dream there’s always a way to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Query101

Hi all

what’s the annual leave situation in the garda college as I would be booking a holiday for 2 weeks in late November/early December?

i know it says 2 weeks. Is that just a random 2 weeks that they decide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Usually the 2 weeks leave is at the end of the first phase of training before you go to your first station at a student Garda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

I'm worried about Maths too. I was Ordinary level Maths at school and not good at it😳. I just got one of the free mails from GardaIP there and in it they say they are organising numerical reasoning webinars with a maths teacher.

I bought the GardaIP book too and bought their course afterwards. I rang the PAS yesterday. They said the Info booklet only has 3 questions on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caro3

For those of you willing to practise verbal reasoning, a new book has just been released called "Verbal Reasoning for Ireland's Civil and Public Service competitions".

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MarkieMarxx

My plan is to leave a job that pays in excess of 40K to join the guards, dunno how im going to manage the training at €184 a week. Any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

save, save, save

• Registered Users Posts: 48 feckwunker

How long does the training wages (€184 a week) element last?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kir85

I turned 36 3 months ago. So I've applied regardless, simply because 1. It's highly discriminatory, 2. I'm perfectly fit and a fitness test should replace age limit, 3. It's highly discriminatory 🤷‍♀️.

So I've written to the minister for justice, the garda college, the minister for education, and a local fianna fail TD to push for change.

I also feel given the pandemic the age limit should be increased by at least 2 years or the time it took to begin a new recruitment drive, it's been years. The opportunity for many who have wanted this a long time, simply wasn't there. This is now shattering the career dreams of a lot of people, many of which could make excellent additions to the force. And we all know how the pandemic has pushed people to career changes they never got the chance to do.

Even regardless of that, age simply cannot be a deciding factor to to good policing ability. In fact it can only benefit, it brings emotional maturity and life experience, these are invaluable skills for a job such as the Gardaí 👌. I personally believe there are many physically fit, and sound minded 35-40+ year old's who could make fantastic Gardaí, so I will be campaigning for change to the age requirements to be replaced by a physical competency test. I'm praying I get into the college, I have never wanted anything else. 🤞

I only turned 35 last month. I am still considering applying anyway. I don't think age should come into it either to be honest.

• Advertisement

I don't fancy your chances tbh, AGS have already had two cases brought against them for age discrimination. They lost and the two men were awarded damages, they were not recruited.

AGS are now appealing that decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'd agree with this tbh. Could it not be argued that you had the previous 17 years to apply but didn't and yes I know that they don't recruit every year but seriously, waiting until your on the verge of the age limit is a gamble.

And there was no recruitment for 5 years, so a reduction in recruitment over covid won't make any difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Stripeyman

Genuine question: If it's something you've always wanted to do, why have you waited until you've surpassed the age limit to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Hi all great to see they are recruiting again just looking for opinions folks. So I’m Garda reserve a year now love it great opportunity have been flat out every weekend. Always wanted to join full time and doing the reserves as defiantly make me wanted it more. The thing is I have started a new job there a few months ago as a postman and love it to don’t know what to do, stay as a full time postman and reserve Garda or leave an post and join the guards full time ? Any advice folks thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

I'd say way up both jobs the pros and cons and take in job satisfaction, pensions in both, pay, conditions etc. Do what you feel will make you happy. I'm a member a few years now. Each day is different...no paperwork in An Post. You get to meet new people and have a chat...but for me I'd like to think I make a difference as a member for the public when people need us the most. Tough decision for you best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Well lad thanks for that ya I’ll have to think of both like doing the reserves the last year I have seen a lot of stuff and It hasn’t turned me of the guards. The post is good to love it also yes both have pros and cons I might just apply for full time guards and if I pass stages and get accepted will make my decision then 😂 where are you stationed if ya don’t mine me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yellowbelly1980

Does anybody know if you resign from the guards is it possible to get back in? A friend of mine if gone about 4 years now and is looking at coming back. In two minds to whether to apply for this campaign to be safe.

There have been people that have resigned and been taken back in. I would think it's in an individual basis, how long they are out etc.

Do you mean your friend is thinking about applying again? Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense.

Depends on why they resigned also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yellowbelly1980

Had moved abroad with family with no plan of returning full time but that's changed. He'd apply again if there was no way of getting back in without going through the process again.

He should get onto HR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know of people who have left careers in more well paying jobs or jobs that are seen as more "prestigious" to join the Gardaí? It's a career that's always interested me but it'd be a big step down in salary not to mention general lifestyle as a result.

This would be my last chance to join based on my age and I wanted to try the reserves first before taking the leap but the opportunity never came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Make sure you do your research.

Resignations are at an all time high in AGS. Pension entitlements for new recruits are not as good as they once were. Look at the salary scale and work it out up to the age of 60 compared to your current role.

What's your motivation to join, family commitments etc...

It's not all about money of course but it is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

S.I. No. 470/2013 - Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013. Regulation 10 of the above. Former members can apply through HRM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

What do you mean by prestigous? Financially - There’s a scale and it’s the same scale for everyone. If you have education behind you you may skip a scale or two if the qualification lends its self to the job. But other than that it’s damn hard work and long days for an average pay. Overtime is not always available and don’t forget 40 hours OT is a 5 week month for joe soap. You’ll earn your money. Sometimes it feels like the private sector forget those overtime hours are spent away from family, friends and life. It’s not always voluntary either. Court on you days off or getting a messy call 10 mins before your shift ends. I’d think long and hard

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Is there anyway to find out the total number of applicantions for the recruitment that just closed last week?

How is everyone feeling?

I'm sure we're all keeping an eye on our public jobs message boxes. Judging by the pace of things at this stage I'd say we're in for a slow turnaround overall.

I'd say the best we can hope for is some report somewhere between now and when tests kick off. The number is bound to be big, and they'll be keen to make that known in order to manage expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I heard prior to it opening they were expecting massive numbers of applications, but in the week or two prior to the closing date, lots of advertising on radio and tv, open days in local towns promoting the recruitment, making me wonder if they didn’t receive what they anticipated and pushed it harder, definitely be interesting to see a total number, thanks for the reply

That's interesting. They were definitely pushing it hard alright. Hopefully you're right, better for the rest of us!

Has anyone heard anything back yet? It closed last week so I assummed we'd gear something this week????

• Advertisement
Advertisement