Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 niall1996

I think Albert Einstein himself would’ve stretched his head at those last few questions in the numerical 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

The waiting part now is almost worse than the numerical, emphasis on the almost 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

So basically everybody more or less is in agreement about the numerical. It's shocking that they went from the logical reasoning which with a bit of practice, is grand to numerical reasoning which we couldn't make head nor tail of, seems very unfair considering you don't exactly need to be a maths genius to be a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uzrnaym

I thought the numerical questions were a bit ridiculous too, I felt they worded them in a way to try be confusing which takes away from the numerical testing aspect I thought… I spent more time trying to understand the questions than actually working them out…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 minilad

Feel a bit better about the numerical now I know I wasn't the only one that struggled, we can't have all failed so I'd say we'll be grand

Same as, I took the test early on in the week and was gutted but seeing all the comments in the days after of other people feeling the same gave me some reassurance

Devils advocate here now 😰 but could PAS asked for the tests to be hard in order to weed out weaker candidates, those candidates that were norm middle of the road but are now in hot water after the tests ? I wonder is there also some platform where a candidate can raise their concerns about how the test wasn’t clear and concise ? It was unrealistic if the focus was on both accuracy and time. We could of all done much better if we knew the clock had no bearing on the final result.

Of course it's too weed out weaker candidates. I think that's why they went with the numerical this year. Over 10,000 applicants for 800 spaces. It's in their interest to get rid of big numbers in stage 1. I think that's why they didn't have the application form at the start of the campaign like other years. They won't have to deal with huge numbers of forms if people are knocked out, thanks to the numerical 🙄

The numerical tests were used in the promotional tests within the Garda aswell so I wouldn’t think it was done for the purpose of getting rid of weaker candidates rather just a change from the logical reasoning, also sova assessment wasn’t used in previous years and I think this was due to the proctoring which they never used before covid. Stage 1 wasn’t monitored in previous competitions. I’ve applied in previous years and this was by far the most awkward stage 1

• Advertisement

@Fluffypatcat it’s infuriating to think that a candidates chances are defined by a numerical test. I don’t see how someone could conclude that “maths” is must for the role. I know they have to weed out candidates but to have Questions that weren’t clear is a bit of a farce IMO. On this thread there was one candidate who said he found the numerical fine so I know it could be wishful thinkin but I hope the pass mark is low.

@[Deleted User] yes your right, they used numerical for promotional test and I know that some going for their sergeants weren't happy with the maths either so we all seem to be in the same boat!

@PCO2019 and not only that our chances are defined by a numerical test but to not even have the test coinciding somewhat with the practice questions that are being used by the companies that we have to pay to use, just seems odd. It's not giving us a fair chance really to do well. Some people, me included are just not numerically inclined & need to put the time & effort in to actually learn how to solve maths problems. I would have thought that was the whole point of using companies like Career services & Garda ip 🤷‍♀️ Anyway we can give out all we like, it's done & dusted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

For stage two will we be repeating these same assessments or is that changed this year??

Want to know if I need to spend more time on maths to try and improve for next stage? (Staying positive after tough and confusing numerical)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hoops67

No it’s report writing for stage 2. Done with numerical unless you fail and have to apply again

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Briano1996

When do we expect to see results from this stage?

Thanks

It just says, by Mid May

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

In the past you had to repeat the same type of assessments in stage 2 in Dublin, plus report writing as well. This was because stage 1 wasn’t proctored like this year. You had to similar result of better at stage 2. Not sure if this year will be the same or not until they release the info.

I think I’ll still tip away at the numerical stuff just to keep it fresh and try get faster at doing some things. Best to keep positive and hope I will be doing stage 2 assessments 😊

@leheaven there won’t be verbal or numerical tests in the next round. Refer to the attached. I don’t want you to waste time on something that won’t be examined 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

Anyone found any good apps for report writing practice?

Watch a video and then Questions to answer after etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 first year 2010

Has anyone heard yet if they got to the next stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yupya

I think this is a bigger recruitment and I’d have doubts that all those people sat the first stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JPS881

Any idea as to when the results will be released for stage 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

hi all is there anyone here who applied through the Garda reserve stream this year?

This is the longest wait 😂 wish they would put us out of our misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kaycon

Checking public jobs everyday , I’m itching to find out . If they go by last month when announcing the exam it was the 14th I’m sure . Fingers crossed we shall know by Friday , feeling like I’m in limbo with the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

You might get used to that. That’s the whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GDA hopeful

Nothing yet for me anyway. Anyone hear anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

Absolutely dyyyying to get our results….!! Although I don’t think I’ll get it this time around 😥😥😥 hope we all get the results we want🥰

Advertisement