Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'd agree with this tbh. Could it not be argued that you had the previous 17 years to apply but didn't and yes I know that they don't recruit every year but seriously, waiting until your on the verge of the age limit is a gamble.

And there was no recruitment for 5 years, so a reduction in recruitment over covid won't make any difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Stripeyman

Genuine question: If it's something you've always wanted to do, why have you waited until you've surpassed the age limit to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Hi all great to see they are recruiting again just looking for opinions folks. So I’m Garda reserve a year now love it great opportunity have been flat out every weekend. Always wanted to join full time and doing the reserves as defiantly make me wanted it more. The thing is I have started a new job there a few months ago as a postman and love it to don’t know what to do, stay as a full time postman and reserve Garda or leave an post and join the guards full time ? Any advice folks thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

I'd say way up both jobs the pros and cons and take in job satisfaction, pensions in both, pay, conditions etc. Do what you feel will make you happy. I'm a member a few years now. Each day is different...no paperwork in An Post. You get to meet new people and have a chat...but for me I'd like to think I make a difference as a member for the public when people need us the most. Tough decision for you best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Well lad thanks for that ya I’ll have to think of both like doing the reserves the last year I have seen a lot of stuff and It hasn’t turned me of the guards. The post is good to love it also yes both have pros and cons I might just apply for full time guards and if I pass stages and get accepted will make my decision then 😂 where are you stationed if ya don’t mine me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yellowbelly1980

Does anybody know if you resign from the guards is it possible to get back in? A friend of mine if gone about 4 years now and is looking at coming back. In two minds to whether to apply for this campaign to be safe.

There have been people that have resigned and been taken back in. I would think it's in an individual basis, how long they are out etc.

Do you mean your friend is thinking about applying again? Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense.

Depends on why they resigned also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yellowbelly1980

Had moved abroad with family with no plan of returning full time but that's changed. He'd apply again if there was no way of getting back in without going through the process again.

He should get onto HR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know of people who have left careers in more well paying jobs or jobs that are seen as more "prestigious" to join the Gardaí? It's a career that's always interested me but it'd be a big step down in salary not to mention general lifestyle as a result.

This would be my last chance to join based on my age and I wanted to try the reserves first before taking the leap but the opportunity never came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭pah

Make sure you do your research.

Resignations are at an all time high in AGS. Pension entitlements for new recruits are not as good as they once were. Look at the salary scale and work it out up to the age of 60 compared to your current role.

What's your motivation to join, family commitments etc...

It's not all about money of course but it is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

S.I. No. 470/2013 - Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013. Regulation 10 of the above. Former members can apply through HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Rmgblue

What do you mean by prestigous? Financially - There’s a scale and it’s the same scale for everyone. If you have education behind you you may skip a scale or two if the qualification lends its self to the job. But other than that it’s damn hard work and long days for an average pay. Overtime is not always available and don’t forget 40 hours OT is a 5 week month for joe soap. You’ll earn your money. Sometimes it feels like the private sector forget those overtime hours are spent away from family, friends and life. It’s not always voluntary either. Court on you days off or getting a messy call 10 mins before your shift ends. I’d think long and hard

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Is there anyway to find out the total number of applicantions for the recruitment that just closed last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

How is everyone feeling?

I'm sure we're all keeping an eye on our public jobs message boxes. Judging by the pace of things at this stage I'd say we're in for a slow turnaround overall.

I'd say the best we can hope for is some report somewhere between now and when tests kick off. The number is bound to be big, and they'll be keen to make that known in order to manage expectations.

I heard prior to it opening they were expecting massive numbers of applications, but in the week or two prior to the closing date, lots of advertising on radio and tv, open days in local towns promoting the recruitment, making me wonder if they didn’t receive what they anticipated and pushed it harder, definitely be interesting to see a total number, thanks for the reply

That's interesting. They were definitely pushing it hard alright. Hopefully you're right, better for the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

Has anyone heard anything back yet? It closed last week so I assummed we'd gear something this week????

• Advertisement

As of this morning, nothing in my publicjobs inbox.

Just got an message on public jobs there about stage 1. Sure you will all get it shortly if you haven’t yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluelou47

Got a message on public jobs this morning for stage 1, says it’ll be mid/late April for stage 1 testing. Best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

Got a text today to check my publicjobs account. Stage one assessments start next month!

How are people getting on training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluelou47

Was thinking about buying that career services stage 1 course. Not sure tho, what’s everyone else thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

For some balance, I personally do not feel I could go back to frontline policing, I would consider going back for something in the background!

I left as the demands placed on you are pressures I have personally never felt in any job. I think the regular unit is unfairly given absolutely everything thrown at it and remember some of these members are only in the door and given fairly serious workloads off the bat. I took stock of what was around me, did I think firstly the workload match the renumeration, I didn't think it really did (yes there is OT but as someone mentioned, that on your time and in some cases it can be directed, which means if your have AL booked, forget about it) along with some other things I decided to walk from a job I fought tooth and nail to get into.

You need a combination of things to go right for you, a good station, a good/supportive unit that are happy to help you fully and your own moral not to be heavily burned with a heavy workload.

In a way I am glad members are walking away from the job, its the only way it will ever change for the better. I do encourage people to go for it, but seriously chat with people in the job, its a commitment going over the process/training/ongoing training after appoinment.

Appreciate the insight, my own partner is in the job coming up to 3 years and has similar views to yours. I’m surprised my partner is still in the job to be honest cause if i’m honest it sounds like it has more cons than pros. Still dying to go for it myself though as I feel if i dont, i’ll always regret it. Ps. I’m currently 7 years into a good secure job with a decent salary and in a job where i’ve had 4 promotions. So I’m taking 1 hell of a gamble myself

Thanks for your insight.

I'm sure a lot of people in this thread would love the opportunity to pick your brain about your experience in AGS and I hope you stick around and impart what you can. I've been in a similar position before where I had to abandon a certain career path, and I echo what you're saying in that it's likely one of the hardest things you could experience in your life. So well done to you and I hope things are going better for you these days.

If I may ask, would you be able to elaborate further on the types of demands that a typical member would find challenging? A great draw to the role is the dynamic nature of the work but I can imagine some might be blindsided by certain responsibilities as they progress into real work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Hard shout, I was similar situation to yourself, I suppose I was lucky in a sense too that I had an industry I could go back into quite easily. I still do not regret trying it out, in fact I think I am glad I did do it. Also from what you are saying, I think you would either get back in with your company or be employable again in that industry. I suppose it is time you do not get back if it does not work out.

Like the regular has defiently more cons going for it than pros! However, if you make tracks to get off the regular unit into something else, you could end up with a nice job, but there are no timelines for getting off the regular, some get off it quickly, some are 10 years on it, some entire careers. Like, not all days are bad either you can have a grand day on the regular or you could have what one lad on my unit had, I think he was on public office duty for about 5/6 tours in a row, you could see the stress in the lads face on tour number 4. For people not fimilar in small/medium size stations, there might be one member doing public office, which includes public counter, radio, telephone, logging calls on C&C, looking after custody records/prisioners and taking complaints if members of the public report at counter (might have missed a few other jobs).

Advertisement