Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No one has ever coherently detailed anything else happening on 9/11. If you have another explanation, what is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And the Russian media will be pushing the exact opposite set of theories about how the US is conspiring against them, but that the Russian state is entirely honorable and would never stoop so low. Doesn't really prove anything about conspiracy theories, as its just propaganda in anticipation of military action and getting your public on side whilst painting the enemy as the bad guys.

The US was warning that Russia might stage a false flag attack in relation to Ukraine.

The Kremlin does produce a lot of propaganda, it's no secret they are engaged in an information war with other countries, the media there is highly controlled by Moscow, there's few free press outlets remaining, they have all sorts of shady laws to punish/jail journalists. They've dismantled most legitimate opposition parties (via intimidation, house arrest, even murder). From poisoning people with polonium and nerve agents to annexing territory to meddling in elections, Putin's administration is ruthless. A man who, on a state salary, has a $100 million superyacht, a one billion dollar holiday house (guarded by the FSB) and untold wealth, his childhood friends and judo partners are miraculously wealthy also. The global press are misrepresenting this?

The Putin administration is the antithesis of everything conspiracy theorists revile. Corrupt, media-controlling, state sanctioned murder, propaganda, the whole 9 yards. But conspiracy theorists always defend Putin. That makes no sense, why is that? Because conspiracy theorists are individuals who loathe the US/West so much that they support anyone or anything who opposes the West. Ergo, they always leap to the defense of Putin, who they feel is "misrepresented" by the press, a guy who runs troll factories to spread disinformation. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

That's completely false when did the US say that they "might"? You can use the word might as it hasn't happened but that's certainly not what they were trying to portray.

Speaking at a Pentagon briefing Thursday, press secretary John Kirby said that the US believes the Russian government "is planning to stage a fake attack by Ukrainian military or intelligence forces against Russian sovereign territory or against Russian-speaking people" in order to create false rationale for an invasion.

"As part of this fake attack, we believe that Russia would produce a very graphic propaganda video which would include corpses and actors that would be depicting mourners and images of destroyed locations, as well as military equipment at the hands of Ukraine or the West, even to the point where some of this equipment would be made to look like it was Western supplied ... to Ukraine equipment," Kirby said.

A senior administration official told CNN that the US believes Russia has already recruited actors to be involved in the alleged fake attack

And where is this information coming from? Apparently from Declassified files which cannot be revealed coming from the same nameless faceless individuals who fed misinformation and propaganda to media such as WMDs to justify the worst invasion in recent history. I'm not denying that Russia does produce a lot of propaganda what I'm saying that the US is no better yet people still take everything from the US as gospel while dismissing anything that comes from Russia.

Same thing.

"And where is this information coming from?" - Intelligence most likely. Militaries plan for all sorts of eventualities. This is what they do. Just because a plan exists doesn't mean it's going to happen.

No one is taking it as "gospel". It's simply a warning from the US that such an attack may happen. It's a smart move to announce it rather than keep it secret, because if nothing happens then no repercussions, if it does happen, then the world will be highly skeptical of Russia.

You claimed plenty of credible conspiracy theories out there at the moment, okay, what are they?

So far I haven't seen any correct user conspiracy theory on this forum, and I've been here for years. If there are plenty circulating, okay, please share

They're not saying it might happen, they are literally saying Russia are in the process of planning it and that they have already hired actors for the fake propaganda videos of the aftermath, I don't see how you are trying to deny this, my previous post showed exactly what they were saying, they didn't say well they might do this or that, what they said was they are currently in the process of planning it. This likely isn't true at all and it was just fed to the media by the intelligence services as propaganda to further whatever agenda they have.

I already answered your question about what credible conspiracy theories are out there, any negative theories about Russia are apparently credible but any theories about the USA or UK are just conspiracy theories unless there is hardcore concrete evidence to back it up.

The USA is no more believable than Russia, there are people who defend Russia at any cost and there are also people who defend the USA, there are also people in the middle who try and look at the situation knowing that most of the stuff coming from BOTH sides is mainly propaganda to influence public opinion. There's a general consensus among many people that propaganda is this dirty word that only the Russians partake in while at the same time the morally superior USA would never take part in such behaviour.

Next you'll be trying to tell us that declaring that an invasion is "imminent" is the same thing as saying that an invasion "might" happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did the words that you quoted the US having used "would" and "we believe" change their definitions recently?

They didn't say "has" or "will" in the statement you quoted.

They said that Russia "has" already hired actors for the propaganda video of the aftermath of the false flag attack. What more can they say apart from "we believe" it hasn't happened yet so they can't say anymore than that.

? I'm not denying anything.

The US is claiming that the Russians are planning a false flag attack. Okay. They've given some details of it. Okay. Does that automatically mean it's 100% true? No. Doesn't mean it's untrue either. They don't need to provide "concrete" evidence to convince people on the internet and expose sources, the warning is sufficient, especially given the context.

"But the IRaQ WaR" - yes, we know, I protested the Iraq war, intelligence was abused under the Bush admin. It doesn't magically mean all intelligence by the US is wrong forever because of a cherry-picked case. On the contrary, they've repeatedly and systematically produced a lot of information that has turned out to be correct, and continues to be correct.

"The USA is no more believable than Russia" - according to your personal opinion. I don't trust anyone implicitly, especially nations under complex situations, but on the scale of credibility, depending on administration, the US is generally far higher on the scale than anything from the Kremlin. We know this from past experience.

"Next you'll be trying to tell us that declaring that an invasion is imminent is the same thing as saying that an invasion might happen" - What? No one is officially saying that Russia is 100% going to invade Ukraine.

You claimed lots of conspiracy are happening, are you going to give details of any of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, for all their "libertarian" bluster it looks like most conspiracy fantasists harbor a thuggish element where they want to unleash violenc eon anyone who doesn't fit into their cult belief system. Q is probably the best example of this.

• Advertisement

They've threatened a butterfly farm because they believed it was some front to smuggle immigrants. These are mental dangerous people.

No it doesn't mean it's true, it's a conspiracy theory but since it's about Russia most people in the US and UK are happy to go along with it.

I think that answers the question you asked me about what conspiracies are going on. I've already given loads of details on it in my earlier posts.

We have a difference of opinion on the trustworthiness of both Russia and the USA, I find neither of them very credible anymore they've both told so much lies and spread so much misinformation in the past to influence public opinion for their own benefit that I simply cannot believe anything they say on matters like this involving world conflicts that greatly effect their own nations.

Okay, but it doesn't address the question fully. You gave one conspiracy (potential Russian false flag). If there are others, feel free to share.

We do have a difference of opinion, but that doesn't negate the facts. I don't particularly have a fondness for US press but they are significantly more credible than e.g. Russian outlets, most of which have considerably less press freedom than their US counterparts. Pretending they are the same is lazy false equivalence.

But to provide a more detailed answer to your question about what credible conspiracy theories are out there there are plenty of examples of very credible conspiracy theories just in Ireland alone, for example the Dublin/Monaghan bombings and the Miami showband massacre that Netflix done a documentary on recently which featured the survivors as well as former high ranking MI5 operatives who showed clear evidence that the loyalists who carried out the attack were agents working for MI5, who carried out the attack on the orders of their handlers to get the Irish government to seal the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland to prevent IRA members fleeing to safety in the Republic after attacking the British army.

Oh right I thought you were referring specifically to the Russia thing.

Yup conspiracies, collusion, etc happen all the time, only have to open a newspaper. We rarely read about them here though. This forum is typically for the more fantastical and tenuous stuff.

One of the former high ranking MI5 operatives who featured in the Miami showband documentary also exposed other conspiracy theories like an elite paedophile ring that existed, one of these homes was the Kincora boys home in Northern Ireland, this is no long conspiracy it's a fact but there is another very credible conspiracy theory that Lord Mountbatten (the queen's cousin) was a paedophile who would regularly visit these homes, a couple of the victims claim they were visited by a man who looked identical to Lord Mountbatten, they only realised this after he was all over the news after his death.

An FBI dossier on Mountbatten, released in 2019, thanks to a Freedom of Information request, reveals shocking information about the royal who was a mentor to his grand-nephew Prince Charles, The 75-year-old intelligence files describe Louis Mountbatten, the 1st Earl of Burma, and his wife Edwina as "persons of extremely low morals" and contain information suggesting that Lord Mountbatten was a pedophile with "a perversion for young boys."

Mountbatten was also had a very close relationship with Jimmy Saville, that means nothing on it's own but combined with all the other evidence most of which I haven't got the time to write it's quite suspicious.

The FBI would have little reason to make any of this up seeing as though they didn't release it to the public and the UK is one of their greatest allies.

One of the very brave victims speaks out about the elitist paedophile ring in this interview recently with Channel 4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt4a9ie5MGk

Post edited by Harryd225 on

No doubt the dirty old man Mountbatten is still lauded as a hero and a man we should all look up to, good thing the filthy old man got what he deserved in the end, unfortunately two 15 year old year old boys were also on the boat with him when he was blown up which cannot be justified, but the war mongering paedophile Mountbatten deserved what he got.

Brief skim through some conspiracy forums and sites, all the locals seem confused, especially with the Russian situation. "I don't know what to believe anymore" seems to be a common theme. As usual their conspiracy narratives keep unravelling in the face of real world events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

They'll find new ones. Plenty of grifters out there who'll sweep in and give them something new to believe.

Not many of them will stop and think about why their previous beliefs failed. Fewer still will ever ask questions about the grifters feeding them shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes. The "chink in the armour" is building 7. Apparently it got a terrible fright and collapsed.

They deny it was demolished but I remember Larry Silverstein, LIVE ON TV, ON THE DAY, saying that the decision was made to "pull it". That's absolutely fine but it had to be denied later because it would have meant that foreknowledge existed - it takes time to plan, place & organise the relative timing of each of many explosions in a demolition process.

Well lets just ignore the fact that Larry did not actually say that on the day or on live tv. (It was a year later in a documentary).

Could you explain why he did say this? Why do you think he admitted it? Why would he do so on the day?

What part of this conspiracy idea is "reasonable".

It sounds very impressive and like you've special secret knowledge right up until you actually think about it with any depth.

Then it becomes pretty clear that what you claim isn't actually true and doesn't actually make sense.

Are you at the top of your game? you've immediately conceded that he used the term "pull it", an obvious anchor for my focus.

Anyone interested can simply google the words & phrase: Larry, Silverstein & "pull it".

The manner of the building's collapse appears to be "less than chaotic".

It collapsed due to fire. Larry Silverstein was referring to pulling the firefighters surrounding the building, which was recommended by the fire chiefs.

Of course, if you think it was a "controlled demolition", okay, care to provide details of that?

Yes. He said the words "pull it". What's your point?

You didn't address any of my questions. Why not?

And yes, people should google it. They will see that your initial claim that he said it on the day on live tv was false.

And if they look into it beyond the simple one line feed to people by conspiracy theory grifters, they will see the context for what he said.

They will also see that you weren't able to answer my questions at all.

You can't explain why he would say that. You can't explain why he would say so on live tv the day of.

You can't explain how it makes sense in context of a conspiracy.

Because what your suggesting isn't reasonable. It's ridiculous the second you look at it and actually spend any thought on it.

And it's clear you haven't.

In which case, you needn't concern yourself with my thoughts (thoughts as opposed to proven facts).

Ideas tend, by their very nature, to be the forerunners of experiential verification.

• Advertisement

Lol. I like when you guys use big vague words to pretend you're making a point.

However I'm highlighting the fact that you can't actually explain what your thoughts are here. Because like all conspiracy theories there isn't any depth to your claim here.

You can't answer my questions.

Why not?

I was extolling the virtues of having an imagination (on a collective human scale of course).

I doubt that my linguistic ability exceeds yours.

Russian hackers

Lol more big words to make no actual point and to avoid a very simple question.

You prove my point.

You can't answer my questions because you haven't actually thought about your conspiracy theory. You can't provide a reasonable explanation for why Larry Silverstien would say what he said. You can't provide one because it makes no sense. Because the conspiracy theory is very dumb when you think about it for more than five seconds.

You, on top of simply being wrong about factual things like when and where the quote was made, did not think about it.

According to you, there was a giant conspiracy to secretly plant explosives throughout building 7 and on the day, the guy in charge of the building decided to randomly and for no reason tell the world that he did this.

That doesn't make any sense my dude. That's a really silly thing to claim.

Why are you holding up as a "reasonable" conspiracy theory. It's the opposite.

My brief communiqués to you are intended, primarily, for the casual, bi-partisan reader who may be interested in further investigating the circumstances surrounding Building 7. That was the obvious intention of my initial post.

• Advertisement

Again, with the big words and zero actual content.

What do you think is going to happen when people do look into building 7 and see that first of all, your initial claim was false?

What happens when they realise that the conspiracy doesn't make any sense and see that you've not actually provided any answers. In fact, you've done nothing but dodge very simple questions about your theory? (A very common thread for conspiracy theorists).

Do you expect people will be convinced that there's something to your claims by all of this?

Do you really think people are that stupid?

Honestly, if anyone is actually convinced Curious's posts, please speak up. Would love to hear the thought process there.

There have been investigations into building 7, including insurance investigations, they concluded it fell due to fire.

If you know something they don't, what is it?

Lots of buildings fell down in the Great Fire of London

That's why all modern buildings are built by "The Three Little Pigs Ltd."

Perhaps curiousity isn't related to a numeric evaluation of IQ in a linear fashion, religious belief isn't.

Right, back to the question, you have suggested "controlled demolition", what are the details of that controlled demolition?

As mentioned the investigations concluded fire, what do you know that they don't?

What makes you think that my opinion might differ from that of the investigators ???

You misunderstand me, there may have been compelling reasons to publish a particular conclusion.

Ergo, they might recognise, as I do, the peculiarity of structural failure of a non-combustible structure due to, ahem, combustion.

I apologise for being too subtle in my previous posts. Again, I wish only to picque the interest of the subjective reader.

If the clues lie outside of your comfort zone, you are unlikely to notice them.

Conspiracy theorists are deliberately obtuse and vague in order to hide the fact that they have nothing to say.

In this case it seems there is some innuendo from you, but no conspiracy, so I don't think anything to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Shoog

The only really serious conspiracy that I bough into was that Bush Senior arranged the hit on JFK and was rewarded with the Presidency. Quite a bit to this CT and this little snipit was what convinced me in the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft3eGWZd7LE

I watched a documentary once (YouTube) which put forward the theory that one of the agents in the car behind, stood up after the first shot and drew a rifle. The car accelerated and he accidentally discharged the gun. The presentation was very compelling. The evidence seemed to tie-in the agent's shot with the other shots.

But then you're also telling the reader to stop thinking at a certain point.

You're telling them to ignore the fact your initial claim was false.

You're telling them not to actually look into the context around the quote.

You're telling them not to think too hard about how the conspiracy would actually work.

Like all conspiracy theories, to believe this one you have to shut off your brain at the surface level factoid you've presented (and was wrong about.)

You can use as many big words as you like, bit you aren't actually applying that much thought to the conspiracy.

Nor are you using any of your big words to make any statements of substance. You now appear to be backing away from your initial stance, but it's hard to tell because you don't seem to have the courage to actually state things directly.

It all smacks of theater. Like a kid pretending to be smart.

And just a reminder, you've dodged several questions all because they make you uncomfortable.

We are all aware of the "clues" you presented and got wrong. You haven't presented anything outside of anyone's comfort zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The fig rolls is award winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So you think it was secretly rigged for a controlled demolition prior to Sep 11 and nobody noticed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

One of the veterans of this theory suggested a half dozen people could have done it over a couple weeks.

A person here says that Larry Silverstein did not say "a decision was made to pull it" on the day of 9/11

The same person concedes though, that Larry Silverstein himself said he said it

I apologise for there being 3 syllables in "Silverstein" and 4 in "apologise" - dats languidge 4 ya King Mob !!!!

Post edited by Curious_Case on

• Advertisement

Let me stick to absolutes -

The explanation for the towers falling was that intense heat from the burning aviation fuel caused steel to weaken

Building 7 was not hit by a plane

Advertisement