Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That was a super impressive run lad...Just goes to show the fitness is always lurking in there. Two decent race results in the past few weeks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Cheers. The Clontarf half last week gave me an idea that there was a bit more there and inturn helped with race pace control for JB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

On finishing, I spotted some chap hurl the railings and knock over an elderly lady who was looking after a child and a dog. The dog and child then became stranded from the lady as the crazed man seemed to chase them towards the road. The things you see at the end of a race 😃

It was a good bit later when I finished, but at that stage your man had the elderly woman on the ground in a headlock while the child's parents were desperately trying to pry him off. Poor dog was yapping helplessly at the shenanigans. The crazed man had on a black singlet and shorts, might be one of them anarchist types. It was really extraordinary stuff alright.

Nice racing!

I heard the man was choking the dog with a daisy chain he had assembled in a frenzy of viciousness and rage.

Mon Dec 6th - 5.06 Miles @8.18

Evening run around the local loops

Tues 7th - 5.52 Miles @7.15

4 x 1km bursts here in the later evening - Calmer end of the storm

Wed 8th -

Playing an hour of astro in some serious winds didn't allow for the the greatest quality of matches. I did a mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown here too. That defo helped alleviate some of the stiffness I get from the ball on the Thursday morning.

Thurs 9th - 6.21 miles @8.13

Some lunchtime loops around Marlay, The wind had finally died down by this stage.

Friday 10th - 5.41 miles @7.24

Had just 40 minute window here so basically just increased the effort a bit. I'm not on a plan at the minute so enjoying the freedom of just ad hoc picking my runs at the last minute.

Saturday 11th - 6.21 miles @8.10

Similar to previous day with no real plan before I set out bar doing around 10k. Ive seen a few do it before but to keep me intereseted, i wanted to see how many parks I could go through in a 10km run. 6 was the answer although 1 or 2 may get big headed when they hear themselves referred to as "parks" 7 is possible I think, so will give that a go over the xmas. Lucky to have so much green space near me when i thought about it.

Approx 30 miles for week

Mon 13th - 6.21 Miles @8.27

I didnt run on the Sunday as was flying over to Malaga to spend 3 nights with a couple of friends near Marbella. My better half was encouraging me to do this as hadn't really been my full self recently to be honest. I had a rake of pints the night before on arriving and wasn't in the mood to get out of bed, let alone running. I'm delighted I did though as felt much better after exploring some of the hills in the local area. Tuesday's semi planned run was canned then as woke up feeling ropey again after a hard day at it on Monday and was due on the golf course within the hour anyway. Some shocking golf, plenty of local beers and some bad jokes were exactly what was needed for the little break.

I came out of the gated appartment complex on the Tuesday night with my friend and let the gate close behind us. We were walking in the other direction so never looked left when we came out, but heard what could only by described as a grunt behind us. We both stopped and looked back to see 2 wild boar's bout 20 metres away from us staring us down. We both just stood motionless for what seemed like an eternity before they decided to turn back and run off the other way. I'm not entirely sure what we would have done if they charged towards us. My 400 metre PB would have been smashed though 😀 There had been a couple of reports of boar attacks recently I found out after.

Wed 15th - 4.34 Miles @7.43

Arrived back home in the afternoon here and had a brief period before the family were about. Went straight out for a detox progress run up in Marlay that did me the world of good. Swerved the kickabout later that night.

Thursday 16th 5.08 Miles @7.55

Back working today so got out at lunch for a jog around Marlay and Ballinteer

Friday 17th 6.22 miles @8.13 - Pretty similar to above

Saturday - about 6.5 miles in total including a solid effort at Marlay Parkrun 18.45.

I had planned to run it around the 19 - 19.30 min mark but got into a nice consistent pace after the first 1km so kept at that pace then throughout.

There was a good crowd up at this parkrun with some very good runners on show. I think it was won in a sub 16 time and my time wasnt good enough for a top ten that day.

Sunday - 8 miles @ 8.07

Another last min decision here. It was a nice calm day so decided to do the mountain loop up towards Ticknock forest and bring me back down towards Kilmashogue. I was going to do the final 1km climb up to Fairy castle but the clouds were a bit low and visibility wasnt great. There was enough climbing done anyway and put the brakes on on the downhill as the suface was a bit slick

Approx 37 miles for week

Much the same planned over the christmas period id imagine and may do the xmas day parkrun depending on what times kids are up etc. January then, I will hopefully kick into something a bit more structured.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Limerick still in the works?

Potentially. I really need to make a call on that in the next 10 days actually. Good to see you back running.

😛 I'd hasten to call my current regime running.....but it's a start. You reckon you're in the right spot to start a marathon block now?

Right now no ...as I glare into my half empty glass of vino. Couple of weeks clean living and I wouldn't be a million miles away I hope. Not to tempt fate but I'm running injury free at the minute for the first time in quite a while. I even joined a club the other night.

It doesn't feel like that long ago since my last update, but this log had fallen well down the 2nd page with all the revitalised logs - Good to see.

I took it easy enough over Christmas and managed to avoid the dreaded C so far anyway. I kept ticking over, getting out for short runs most days over the period. Nothing too much to report on from any of those runs, as such.

With a bit of inside knowledge from ReeReeG, I joined DSD for this year and have already gone out for a few group runs and one good session with the group. I'm happy to be a club member and DSD is so local to me, which made it a no brainer really. I would have joined this time last year if it wasn't for the restrictions in place at the time and also injury.

I have entries into Raheny 5, Trim 10 mile, Bohermeen Half and now also Limerick Marathon to keep me honest over the next few months. I kept getting final "early bird" reminders for Limerick which I eventually succumbed to - dam marketing... I had a rollover entry into Cork marathon but the more I thought about it, the June date didn't really suit me this time. I'd rather fall in line with club training and focus at that stage with DCM been the main target for many in the club it seems. It would be mine too.

Monday 3rd - 5 Miles @8.08 -

Morning jaunt around Marlay Park

Tuesday 4th - 5.42 Miles @9.14

Group run with DSD around the locality

Wednesday 5th - 7 miles @6.52

4 x 800, 2 x 600 @10k Pace- Lunchtime effort that went well

Thursday 6th AM - 3.16 Miles @7.04

Unplanned one here. A little christmas gift was delivered to the door here. I had combined vouchers for the Nike store(€150) and had a scan on the site a few days earlier. I saw the Alphaflys were reduced to 209 - still expensive(heard they were 150 at one stage -missed that unfort). I had to try them out - my god they are loud but felt really comfortable all the same for my mini progress run between meetings.

PM - 6.67 Miles with the club which consisted of a very well organised 6 x 30 seconds group strides at the end

Friday 7th - Rest - I think Friday will be my consistent rest day as have a lot on here generally

Sat 8th - 11 miles @7.10

Had a busy working day here so was out the door just after 6.30am. 3 x 2 mile at 6.30-6.40 range with flat mile around 7.45ish. Nice to get it done early but all in morning darkness still.

Sun 9th - 12 Miles @7.42

I would have ideally done a longer run the previous day and shortened this, but I was limited all weekend with time, so just improvised. This was a late evening effort up towards Leopardstown racecourse- All in dark again. There were a few spots were light wasn't great so may need to re think route a bit better next time.

50 Mile week - previous week was 47. I wont be going too much beyond this mileage at the min.

Mon 5.41 miles @8.18

same as last Monday - 45 mins easy around marlay but back in daylight

Tuesday AM - 5 Miles@8.09 lunch time run

Tuesday PM - 4 x 1 Mile off 60-75 seconds

Really enjoyable session with big numbers ran by Gary Crossan. I was thinking for some reason the pace was going to be HMP. It turns out it was 5k or 10K pace. I may not do the lunchtime run next time. I kept the miles all about 10kish pace (6 min mark or slightly under.). The 3rd rep may have a dipped a little but finished the 4th one strong that I felt the need to do a 5th at a moderate pace before easing into a cool down. I really enjoyed this one but I am going to struggle to make this time slot regularly due to family commitments. Doing that session or something similar in the past, I would have been more generous to myself with the recovery period. I felt more benefit from this but that could also be the group element.

Wed - repeat of Monday's run

• Advertisement

I have been a bit lazy on the updating the log front.

I have been keeping in and about 50 mile weeks and feel the fitness edging back towards 2020 levels,

Raheny 5 Miles

I arrived early enough and got one of the last spots in the Church Carpark. I chilled out in the car for a while but was conscious not to let the eyes close. In 2020 I fell asleep in car and wasn't a million miles from missing the race. I had entered this race prior to joining DSD and haven't been able to source a singlet as of yet so I was without club for this one.

I completed this race in 29.34 in 2020 so the goal was to improve on that and potentially get sub 29 if the legs allowed. I did a 15 minute warmup in St Annes.

I placed myself about 15-20 rows back in the pen next to a Dunboyne runner I know. He asked me the target and I think I gave a vague enough answer but mentioned sub 30 when pushed. He was planning about 6 min or 6.10 miles so In my head, I was thinking I'll pace myself for the first mile close to him. The usual fighting for positions for the first 500 metres avoiding dangling legs and parked cars. I wasn't pushing here and kept myself out of any potential bother. The first mile clocked in at 5.56 so I was content with that as hadn't really worked as of yet. It was time to edge the pace up a bit and see how the legs responded.

I slowly made some ground up on the 2nd mile and edged past a few and worked from group to group. Mile 2 - 5.51.

I was still feeling relatively strong here and did some maths in my head to see if the sub 29 was on. Mile 3 is a kinder mile in terms of elevation so for similar effort or even slightly less, going by my HR, the pace would naturally come down a bit. I continued to work from group to group and mile 3 came in at 5.44.

I'm not a huge fan of the section in the park simply due to the hairpin really. I love running in parks in general but my dodgy knee doesn't like sharp right turns. It was becoming a little more dispersed at this stage so found 2 or 3 guys and worked with them up the drag in the avenue. I was surprised to see Fionnuala McCormack coming down the other side as I figured she would have been further up the road. The drag was definitely feeling longer than I remembered and into the wind was making effort levels hitting the max to keep the pace. I had an ingling at this stage that something may have been off and then my watched beeped for mile 4 at the 4 mile marker(5.45) but that marker was after the hair pin and I still had a couple of hundred metres to run before I turned. I let it drift out of my mind though as I love the last section of this race.

I released as much as I could going down the hill and out of the park. Approaching the last loop, I heard someone shout from crowd just 600 metres left. A few seconds later my watched beeped for 5 miles which added to the confusement (5.43). I momentarily lost my composure as someone kicked on past me. That gave me the impetous though to finish strong and reeled him in as we approached the last straight. I crossed the line at on my watch at 30.24(5.17 avg pace for last 0.28) but had completed 5.28 Miles. That took me a good minute to figure out what was going on before I saw lots of others comparing their garmin distances after the race.

I was a bit miffed initially at the distance error but these things can happen and it was simply an unfortunate situation for Raheny AC as it is a fantastic race and setting. I'm already looking forward to returning next year. According to Jebuz calcuator on the the race page, my time would have been in and around 28.40-45 which would have been a big PB for me. I will be taking the positives out of this one anyway and go into Trim this week in a positive place.

Cheers

Post edited by Lambay island on

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Fair play on the race man. I know not the official PB you wanted but look at it this way, that extra 0.3 will stand to you from a confidence persepctive for this week.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done D, very best of luck for Trim on Sunday!

Monday 6.21 Miles @8.18

Morning loops up around Marlay Park. Legs felt okay here after Raheny but took it gently and mostly on grass.

Tuesday AM 4.43 Miles @6.47

I had about half hour here early in the morn before I had to get the kids breakfast and lunch sorted. I reverted to the Mona Fartlek workout which is an ideal shorter interim workout between 2 races. This fartlek fell on my last week of a marathon plan L gave me back in 2020 and I often go back to it when time is restricted.

Tuesday PM 5.06 Miles @7.54

I managed to get out at lunch again for a bonus trot around the locality after a meeting got cancelled.

Wednesday 6.2 Miles @8.13

Easy 10k at lunch around Ballinteer

Thursday 6 Miles @9.16

Easy evening run with the Club followed by 10 x100 metres at speed as majority were training for a Mile TT on Saturday.

Friday 6.2 Miles @8.15

Similar route to Wednesday. The sprints the night before seemed to take it out of my legs so decided to sit out the Saturday

Sunday Trim 10

The previous week at Raheny gave me a good gauge of a target here. The tinman race calculator had me at 59.59 so that was the target.

Parked in the OPW carpark and used the 2km distance to the start as a warmup. I got in the pen early and at one stage some sideways rain woke us all up very quickly. I generally make sure I place myself well back as I like to work my way into races and gain confidence from passing people. The plan for me was simple, miles 1-9 at approx 6 min miles and mile 10 around 5.30-5.40.

The first 4 miles were going to plan on the clock. 5.58, 6.00,5.59,5.57. I felt when we turned half way through mile 4 the I was now into a headwind. It immediately involved working a little harder to stay on pace. At this stage It had already gone through my head, that I should have bought a bit of time with the earlier downwind miles. Of course, I didn't notice at the time how the wind was at my back for the first 20 minutes.

Mile 5 was a slog, Uphill and straight into wind. I could see the pace was leaking but I was still gaining places, so I figured everyone would be struggling here. My outlook was starting to look bleak as we were still into a headwind and time leaking as we entered into the 6th mile now. 6.10, 6.04.

I remember looking at my watch at this stage and was about 9 seconds down on sub 60 time but my watch was beeping a good 30 metres before the mile markers. I was probably closer to 20 seconds down. I couldn't see how I could make that time up now as the last 2 miles had zapped me. There was a good reprieve in Mile 7 where the road was flatter and wind was no longer in our faces. I managed to control things a bit better here and the mile clocked in at 5.58.

I was still conscious my watch was not accurate with the markers so still had lots to make up on the last 3 miles. I kept the rebuild going in mile 8 (5.59) but it left a lot to do for the last 2 miles.

Both were net downhill and the wind if anything was now helping. I reckoned I needed two 5.50 miles to go under. I caught a group of 4 at the start of the 9th mile and I figured these must be targeting sub 60 but after a few hundred metres I knew I needed to kick. A Dunboyne guy from the group went with me a we split the work up the drag at the end of mile 9 . That mile clocked in at 5.52 , okay so this was still on, I thought. My Dunboyne compatriot seemed to have done himself in on the last climb so I was alone again trying to work hard approaching the last turn. My pace was now at 5.40-45 so I started to think I would get the target now as only 500 metres left. As soon as I made the last turn the wind was so strong it felt like it knocked me backwards. There was now 400 metres of this to finish - it was hellish when I was so nip and tuck with the time. I saw the clock tick past 60 as I approached the line but I did start further back and I knew I was about 7 seconds inside the 60 on the watch. Any form had long gone out the window at this stage as I flapped over the line. I got past the finish and leaned over the railings to catch my breath - I was goosed. That was the hardest last 400 I had ever experienced in a race. I eventually saw the chip time on Popup and it had me at 60.02. Ah well, I gave it a good shot and to be fair I'm generally delighted to be back in similar shape to late 2020. As someone mentioned on my strava comments, Onwards and upwards now..

I know what it feel likes to struggle on that Mile 5/6 stretch in Trim. Reading yourself and Wubble Wubble's reports brought it all flooding back to me. Great running though. Sub 60 is a big milestone so to be that close bodes well for the both the immediate and long term. You starting marathon block proper now? You're in for Bohermeen yeah?

This week J yeh.. Mileage wont be massive but I'll be concentrating on banking enough Long Runs with plenty of MP along with a midweek session. In for Bohermeen yeh and the matter of a potential XC in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Savage effort over the last few miles. Well done

TbL

Sickener to miss out on the notional sub 60 but like you said it's more important you're back to previous shape. Great run man. Reading all these reports I don't think I'll be in any rush down there next year. Sounds rough.

To be fair you should. 10 mile is a great event IMO. I cant speak for Dungarvan but Trim is so well organised and a very fair route. The wild wind all weekend just made them that bit more difficult this time.

Oh dont get me wrong I love the ten mile distance but that's a few years now where I've heard the weather in Dungarvan was tricky. Plus there's a few decent ten milers around this neck of the woods rather than travelling. Dungarvan is a good 2hr drive from where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Very well run. You came very strong at the end.

It looks like that group of runners at mile 9 was same group I pulled away from a mile earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Great running D. I know probably a bit gutted to be so close to the 60 but at the end of the day it’s an arbitrary round number and nothing more, 60.02 is just as impressive as 59.59. Great race all around man.

Cheers and I'm not too bothered missing out on it this time. Happy with how it went in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great running D, you are in great shape!

Thanks. Good to see you back on the roads. You will be flying again in no time no doubt!

I have been a bit lazy on the updating the log front but I still want to document my training for myself to read back on, so Ill give a brief update.

3 weeks down of 12 for Limerick marathon training. I had previously built back up a decent base since xmas, prior to starting this hybrid training plan.

Week 1 - 51 miles including a 16 mile long run and a midweek session

Week 2 - 51 Miles including a 17 mile run, a midweek session and an extremely mucky/heavy race effort at Rás na Heireann XC

Week 3 - 57 Miles including an 18 mile run, a midweek session and a speed session over the weekend.

I have a plan drawn out with the option to alter some of the midweek sessions. Tuesdays is when the club do their session but at the minute I cant make that time slot so tend to do them early morning. They tend to be good sessions so I'm subbing some of them in and out where I feel it will benefit me.

The midweek sessions tend to be reps and turnover stuff at 5k- 10k pace so far. My long runs are consisting of either patches of MP or Steady or even both. I have lifted quite a few of these from when Luke was helping me back in 2020 with a marathon plan. I found them very beneficial especially when running on tired legs later on in them. The rest of the volume is made up of easy running. I will be keeping to the 50-60 mile range. I have included Bohermeen half in this plan but I haven't decided if ill race this or do it at MP yet. My sister in laws 40th will be the night before so I'll imagine I will have a few pints so I'll see how I feel on the morning, I suppose.

I also have an entry in the Great Ireland Run 10km as its a club target. Its a tad close to the Marathon but I really enjoy racing and from previous experience, I think it suits me to race more often than not. This week consists of another 18 mile run but I will more then likely make it a 19 mile run as I'm conscious to get as many quality longer runs as possible after the Galway debacle. My other target for the next couple of weeks is improve the diet and hopefully naturally shed a couple of KG's as I am a bit off race weight at the minute. I've an awful sweet tooth aswell as a hankering for the few pints. All can be still done, but in more meaningful moderation me thinks.😜

Monday 28th Feb - 7 miles@7.53

Lunchtime run around Marlay Park - Nothing exciting here

Tuesday 1st March - 9 miles @6.53

Early start to Spring for me. I was out the door by 6am for a session before work. Despite, noticing frost on the car as I left the house, I wasnt going back upstairs and risking the wrath of waking little ones to get into any extra layers. So, out I went in the shorts and T shirt minus gloves and hat. I reduced a 2 mile warmup to 1 so I could try and warm up quicker. I then completed 1 mile at 5.55 mins pace followed by 2 off minutes. The session then was 20 x 1 minutes off 1 minute at approx 5k pace. I tired a little in the middle where one rep slipped to just shy of 6 min pace on an uphill drag but on average they were about 5.35 pace with the last one at 5.13. I was happy with the mornings work. Towards the end of the 17th or 18th rep , my hands were beginning to feel the bite from the cold. Again, I cut the cool down to 1 mile to get home to warm up the hands. It must have taken a good 20 minutes to get the circulation back in the hands after this one - horrible feeling that last I experienced when I was caught in a snow storm on the bike.

Wednesday approx 9.3 miles @ 8.15

I got out early again for an easy 10k in the morn. Lesson learned from yesterday. I had the underarmer gloves and hat back on here but sure I realised after 10 minutes it probably wasn't needed as was a far milder morning. I haven't played the weekly football on the Astro since starting marathon training and even a bit before that I reckon. I have left myself in the whats app group though and realised they were short a body so stood in late to save the day 🙄. I ended up doing a 1.5 mile warmup and cooldown with the football sandwiched in between. I was a bit rusty on the football front. My first touch was so bad, my 2nd touch was often a tackle. I scored a spectacular OG at one stage. The ball was rifled off the cross bar and rebounded off my ear from close range and into the goal.. The whistling in the ear lasted a further 5 minutes. We lost by one - They might be removing me from that whatsapp group now😀

Thursday 6.67 Miles @8.38

An evening group run with the club which finished up with 8 x 80 metres hard strides. The legs and whole body were still feeling a little heavy/stiff from the previous day so held back a little on the strides until the last 2 where I let loose.

Friday 19 Miles @7.14

I'm not working Fridays at present and I am most Saturdays so for the last few weeks have been doing the long runs after the kids drop off. The muscles in the legs were all tired before I set off for this and wasn't really looking forward to my longest run in nearly 6 months. Even after 10 minutes I was feeling laboured. It was a 4,3,2,1 mile job off 1 mile sandwiched in between 3 easier miles on each end. I have been conscious off late to just run a route and do the hard miles even by effort if they turn out to be uphill etc. Due to how the body felt, I didn't fancy doing 4 harder uphill miles to start with though. My 3 initial miles brought me up to Fernhill track when I did the first 4 MP miles there. I think it was a good call on the day as the legs started to get a bit of life in them on the 2nd MP mile there. I then had the confidence to continue with my original undulating route for the remainder for the run where I just ran the required MP miles on whatever terrain I was on. All in all, I was happy to have completed this one especially when I was feeling weak initially. Later on in that day, we brought the kids to the circus which was good craic actually until the youngest got sick in the car on the way back. What resulted for the next 24 hours wasn't pretty with 3 out of the four of us having a ghastly stomach bug that stopped us in our tracks. Saturday was a write off. My wife got off scot free.. Its usually me that gets away not getting these bugs but the immune system may have been weaker this week due to tiredness.

Sunday 9 miles@9.00

I had got my appetite back on Saturday night and ate all around me. I woke up on Sunday and felt 100 times better so got myself up to the causal paced Sunday Club run. I had planned to run for 45 minutes but ended up doing a fair bit longer as was enjoying the social run in the sunny morning.

4/12 weeks done - 60 mile week.

It will be a bit of less volume week as had planned to race Bohermeen the coming weekend. I'm currently undecided on that and might yet swap it out for a vanilla longer run.

As weeks go in marathon training, the one that just passed was pretty poor.

Monday - 8 Miles@8.11

Lunchtime Loop around ballinteer and Marlay

Tuesday -9 miles @6.57

Decent enough session this one-Got out early morning in the wind and rain- 2 easy miles to begin with followed by 2 miles at approx 6 min mile pace. The 2nd one of these had a bit of a downhill profile but was right into the wind so I had to work there before 2 off minutes. This was followed by 90 secs on/off by 7 times. I did that part on the 1km concert field lap in marlay follwed by 1.5 mile cooldown.

Wednesday - 6.21 Miles @8.26

Early morning effort before it rained. I didn't avoid getting wet though as I was cycling into the office after and got wet on both the way in and on the return 🙄

Thursday - 6.76 Miles @8.38

Nice Club run here which finsihed with 10 x 100 metres strides at pace.

Friday- 6.21 Miles @7.49

This was the shakeout with a few strides before the Half on Sunday- The run itself felt good and led me to think there should be a PB on the Sunday if the weather plays Ball. I had a target time in my head.

I went out to a 40th on Saturday night. I had a bit of craic but I was reasonably disciplined and only had the few pints and was getting in plenty of water too. I woke up in the middle of night due to a nature call but somehow missed where I was in the dark and stubbed my baby toe pretty bad off an exercise bike I have in the room. I let out a roar and frightened the bajayus out of the other half. I did a right number on the toe and the nail had shattered and it was throbbing immediately. I finally manged to get back asleep but when I woke up in the morning the toe was black and blue and still throbbing. I got into all the running gear to see how i was fixed but as soon as I put footwear on, it was pressing up against the toe. It was far too sore to contemplate it then. Bad timing indeed. I was hoping it would feel a bit better later in the day to see if if I could even do a LSR but it never really subsided at all yesterday. Far from ideal, but I don't plan to chase the miles this week. If time allows ill get out for a bit longer on some of the runs this week. The pain and swelling has defo gone down now so I hope to get out at some stage later today anyway which is more positive, I suppose. If that is to me my bad week, I'll take it.

Serious though, can the wind and rain f off at this stage....

Bad luck with the toe...Load it up with Arnicare cream constantly..it'll subside the bruising and swelling quickly.

As for the weather - oh I hear ya....I'm trying to use it to my advantage though - mental resilience and all that. Got pummeled by the wind for my session last night - partly down to a really bad route choice.

• Advertisement

After a poor previous week, happy to bank a better one this week, although it probably looks better on paper.

Monday - 11 miles at 7.58

I said I wouldn't chase lost miles from last week,but knew with the week that was in it with 2 extra holiday days, there would be opportunities to extend some runs. This was an evening effort and took in some fairly tasty hills. Enjoyable to get out again after the frustrations of the previous day. The toe still looked horrific but there was no pain.

Tuesday- 9 miles at 6.58

10 hour turnaround between these 2 runs wasn't ideal but 6am was only window to get this done. This was a 4, 3, 2,1 min off 75 seconds at approx 10k pace. My legs were tired from previous night so it was done off effort instead. The reps averaged at around 6 min mile pace. The first few reps were done just outside marlay and by the 2nd 4 mins effort the park had opened. It was a lovely mild morning and I wasn't the only crazy doing an early morning session it seemed. Happy to have banked that one before a very busy day in work.

Wed 5.62 miles @8.10

Another early morning job before I headed off to the office. No rain or wind for 2nd morning in a row- a recent record .😄

Thursday 20 miles @7.02

We had planned to attend the local parade with some friends so I wanted to get this wrapped up early so I could enjoy the day with the kids after the last 2 years of no parades etc. The plan here was 7.15 moderate pace throughout, but after the 2nd mile, I just got into a comfortable rhythm at 7 min mile pace so I kept it there. I never strayed too far away from home here as I had a bottle of water stashed where I wanted to loop by a couple of times. I haven't bothered with gels yet as 2 or 3 is about all I would take in a marathon anyway. I'll probably trial that on the next one. I tired a little towards the end but had the feeling I could have kept the pace for a couple more miles anyway. All in all, a decent confidence booster that I needed. I ended up having to do quite a bit of walking later on the day, quite often with a child on my shoulders so my right foot and and shoulders in particular were happy to get home later on as I flaked on couch with a few cans. The Plantar Facistis has been behaving itself as of late but got a little reminder that night not to be going over 40k steps too regularly.

Friday 3.5 miles @ 8.35

Had the option here of a rest day but got out early again for a recovery run. I felt a bit stiff in the first ten minutes but legs warmed up then. We spent the morning in the zoo then. The weather was perfect and on the way out, I got a bit of FOMO in the phoenix park when I saw the masses out running in the lovely weather.

Saturday 6.35 miles @ 8.05

Debated whether going up to marlay for park run but ultimately decided to go down to the club speed session in St Endas Park. The numbers were low with the weekend that was in it ,but I really enjoyed the shorter quieter session on the grass to keep the legs ticking over.

Sunday 10 miles @7.58

This was an initial loop around the perimeter of marlay followed by the parkrun route to keep myself interested.

65 miles for week

Work will be busy for next 2 weeks so it will take up more headspace to schedule runs along with everything else. I may end up doing the long run on Thursday again this week otherwise it may have to be a middle of the night job if I were leave it to the weekend.

Advertisement