Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Do It

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So happy to read you got out for a drink with your dad, the best Christmas present ever! Cherish it all, life is so precious💛

Very best of luck for 2024; I've no doubt you'll be back to peak shape in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Jan - Mid march recap

I have been consistently running approx 45- 55 mile weeks since beginning of the year so constantly building has been very much a positive.

I have ran 3 races in that period with mixed results

Raheny 5 mile 28.42 which I was relatively happy with as had only really put in 3-4 weeks training prior to it. It was about 7 seconds off the previous year PB which I accepted gladly as sub 29 was target.

Trim 10 mile. This came a week later and I felt Raheny gave me some good confidence going into here to see if a PB was possible. PB from this course last year was 58.19. The wind this year compared to 2023 in my opinion made this a far harder prospect after warming up on the last 600 metres of the course which was into a strong headwind. I started off quite aggressive with the wind on my back and basically had to hang in as much as i could in the middle miles when the wind was dead against. I actually came in at 58.48 about 30 seconds outside last years effort. I think in the conditions though I ran a stronger race as I was a couple of places further up the standings this year.

Last year I did 2 spring half marathons along with competing in the shorter stuff for the Peugeot series. I have decided to skip the longer stuff this spring and concentrate on building and throwing in a few shorter races to limit injury breaks like I suffered last year. I was originally going to compete in the Portlaoise 5k on paddy's day but I saw the club were sending a very strong team down there anyway, so chose the more local option in Tallaght for a 5k. I hadn't been solely targeting 5k pacing in training which I think is something that may have caught me out a bit here. 5k in my opinion is a real learned discipline and probably the hardest to get right. I find I need 2 or 3 races in a short enough space to get right or even close to right. I wasn't expecting to get near my time(avg3.14 pace) I ran at Kilkenny a year ago but I did feel confident I would go sub 17.

Splits went like this for a 17.19 final time

3.22 - writing on the wall

It was a fast enough start but felt I was working too hard from the first km really. I found a mini group of 3 there and kept pushing on the 2nd km but even on the downhill, I was ever so slightly slowing down, although effort was increasing. You never really feel great in a 5km race but I was waiting patiently just to feel even a tiny bit stronger. It never came though and if anything I was sweating up more and coughing lots. I had a rough night sleep the previous night with a cough but that wouldn't usually effect me much. At this stage I think it simply got in my head that this wasn't going well and I'd be better off stepping off the gas to fight again. The truth was, I was subconsciously looking for excuses in my head as I approach the climb. The pace dropped considerably in that 4th km and it wasn't by choice. My legs just felt heavy and i was breathing hard. I hung in with one Cru guy through this section and when it flattened out and entered towards the track, I assumed id be able to kick it up a gear. I ever so slightly increased speed on the track but my heart wasn't in at that stage when I realised id be the wrong side of 17, I trundled in more that finished strong. Mixed emotions coming out of it, but I believe it will bring me on and have an idea where I can improve next time. Nice to meet up briefly with a few boards heads pre race too.

I plan to race Dunboyne 10km this weekend but at the min I cant seem to shake this cough I have had for a week now. Its been an age since I raced a 10km so want to go into it feeling right! if not, I may pull the plug. I was hoping to return to streets of Kilkenny 5k on Good Friday but turns out I'm at a wedding that night. Enfield may be the next target for that distance. Really enjoying just running and having no real ultimate targets at the minute. I like the idea of just been fit enough to jump into any training block if any particular race comes calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Monday - 12 miles @7.39

I have been a bit shy on anything longer recently so was determined to get out for 90 mins and forget about the previous day's race. I was one of the few head-the-ball's out this early on the Bank holiday with @Wottle been another. We passed each other early in our respective runs.

Tuesday - Double runmute 6.10 miles @7.55 + 6.2 miles @8.04

I usually do UCD session on Tuesdays but not this weeks as it falls between 2 races. Rumutes suited here and was padding the mileage early in week to have a quieter lead up to Dunboyne later on.

Wed - 5 miles @8.10

Evening jaunt around trails and Marlay.

Thurs - 6.29 miles @7.17

I think I did 10 x 60 seconds @ 10k pace and possibly another 4 @30 seconds. I didn't program it in, so that is just guessing looking back at the run. I must have been away in my own world for that one as very little memory of it.

Friday - Off

Saturday - 5.68 miles @7.34

I jogged up and back from Marlay Parkrun. I started off towards the back and just slowly progressed per km before finishing last 800 at planned 10k pace .

Sunday

National 10k Dunboyne

I had a busy morning here trying to sort out the under 9's, which was probably a good distraction pre race. I only for sure decided after waking up that I would do this race. I still have a very annoying cough but it hadn't been keeping me up at night like previously.

I arrived in plenty of time and parked up in the primary school and used the distance down to the start line as a warmup.

It is quite a tight start with a lot of people trying to get to the front. I positioned myself okay in the pen, probably could have done with been a few yards further forward in hindsight.

The usual stampede of a start as we ran towards the town - Great crowds out watching here was very noticeable. My legs felt a bit heavy as I looked for some space but was probably more mind tricks. I have one "soft pb" possibly 2 but 10km was there for the taking anyway and haven't raced one since Dunshaughlin 2022. PB(current 35.40) was the minimum I wanted but was hoping I was feeling well enough to go sub 35. This meant it was a target of 3.30 per km with the hope of dipping below that for last km.

I noticed going past 5k marker on road, I was spot on 17.30 on the watch - splits on the watch were 3.27, 3.29,3.30, 3.29,3.26

I ended joining and alternating positions for the 2nd half of the race with a work colleague of mine. I think this helped both of us(helped me anyway) as we closed in and caught a few groups together. At one stage, I thought I actually got away from him at the 9km mark but to hear the slapping of his runners just off my shoulder as we turned towards the track entrance. I knew my watch was off with the markers from early on but I thought when we were going to go on the track, my tiring brain thought it was going to be a 100 metre run up anti clockwise to the finish line. I assumed my sub 35 was looking good. Anyway, we know what they say about Assume. Instead, it was the clockwise 300 metre finish and I was tiring. My work colleague went by here and despite a mini fight back, I couldn't quite get him. I beat him on the chip time though, which I was sure to tell him ;-). splits for 2nd half 3.26, 3.32,3.34,3.31,3.31 for 35.06 which was a 30 odd second PB which I have to be happy about. I left the sub 35 out there but I'll be back for that. I loved the route and great decision to bring National 10k there.

Advertisement