Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Just Do It

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Train in Vain

If your report was a book I’d say it was unputdownable. I couldn’t stop reading even though I wanted to. That last part sounded so painful and, to be honest, quite frightening. You’re a beast for finishing. I hope you’re feeling okay and continuing to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭ Dubh Geannain

I had to re-read that. Your hand and jaw locked?? The only things i could think of was that they were the result of gritted teeth and clenched fists, as you absolutely toughed that out. Fair play and a great report.

Singers post is well timed. I'm no marathon runner but experience cramp at times. Last weekend after my 1500 race both calves started to cramp during my warm down. And before i could even start my warm down after the Trim 10 mile they properly locked up that i couldn't walk. Any other times I've felt cramp has been on easy runs on tired legs. Maybe it is just hydration for me too but I'm open to the possibility of it being something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Lambay island

Haha to be fair, I do remember parts of of the first 87%(did you manually count the words?) . I started to draft a bit more about it, but I didn't know any road names and was giddy to get to the drama 😀

Thanks, yeh I'm not too bad now, still a bit tight in the legs but eager to get back out running later in the week.

I think the more I was concentrating on breathing and trying to loosen out the leg cramps, my upper body was tightening up simultaneously. Simply a weird experience. In terms of cramping, it has happened me in the past but not compared to Sunday when i felt fully in control. Yeh what singer posted adds some food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

That sounds horrible - you have my every sympathy as a fellow cramper. I can remember running Manchester and spending 20-30 mins in a massage tent as every muscle in my body went into spasm - hands, feet, neck, everything - its not a nice experience.

I've tried so many things to help my history of cramping - if you've ran other marathons and not cramped, well maybe the electrolytes will help - I hope its as simple as that for you.

If only you had punched your legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

He actually did!

Yeh @AuldManKing I missed that crucial nugget of info above. I did try it initially but nothing happened for me bar a few odd looks as runners passed me by

Post edited by Lambay island on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

Yikes, what an ordeal. I'm looking forward to reading Singer's links there as dehydration is what popped into my head too - mainly because you were able to down three bottles of water at that water station - didn't realise that was even possible.

Love those bits where you questioned what you were seeing - no better depiction of the marathon fog. You were definitely bonked but then again most of us usually are in the final couple of miles.

Also, the sniffles. You had a lot of stuff going on. Well done on finishing out, serious HTFU in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭ ariana`

Wowser, that sounds pretty horrific. Amazing that you finished, serious mental toughness (or madness 😉) to get through those last few miles. Dehydration may not have been the only issue at play in the cramps but it was definitely a factor if you were able to knock back 3 bottles of water at a water station 😱 At that stage of a marathon i wouldn't be able stomach 3 sips never mind 3 bottles - we are all different but 3 bottles is definitely extreme! No doubt you will take on board the advice of your fellow fast runners around here and knock it out of the park in DCM 😊 Well done on a sub 3:10 marathon all the same, some achievement just to cross that line in what is still a very respectable time and you should take confidence that for 22-23 miles you were cruising at sub 3hr pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ ReeReeG

I don't know how you finished that marathon!!! That sounded horrific. Hope you're recovering ok.

Awesome running lad. Thats how to run a sub 36. I can only hope to emulate what you did at some stage this Summer.

Well done. Dunshaughlin is special.

thanks...Yeh,I should have mentioned above but the whole race set up from start to finish was excellent and a very fair route. Looking forward to returning! The spread was almighty too.

Great stuff again...17.20 off of Dunshaughlin, the Tuesday session and that heat....that's no joke. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ Laineyfrecks

Well done D, super result for you. I had considered doing it while I was on my hols but glad now I didn't, there's no way I could have raced in that heat, my session was tough enough that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

Excellent stuff, D, did well to hang in there and get the podium if not the prize.

Advertisement