Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Canada Convoy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

the convoy are made up of people who believe and are spreading misinformation, lies and conspiracy theories.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

They are just people who do not want a forced medical shot they are not criminals, they dont want the experimental medicine in their bodies and that is a fundamental choice / right - body autonomy. Canada has 85% vaxxed and they are not allowed out like we are, Mr trudeau is on a major power trip our lot did allow us out once we complied or at least 90% complied but they are still not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Don't get into a tizzy about Trudeau. Vaccines programs are run by the Provinces, so he cannot tell them what to do.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vaccines/provinces-territories-decisions-how-who-when-vaccinate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

How did I "lose"

Says alot about your mindset to see it as a game.

I took my vaccine on advice from the experts that it would seriously slow spread and also result in hospitalisations. They were wrong on the spread part, totally, way way off.

The vast majority of people under 65 would have took Covid on the chin and ploughed on through regardless of vaccination or not. This point is lost on alot of people. The vaccines were a boon for the elderly and vulnerable - keeping them in the main from serious illness.

Vaccines should be available firstly for those who need them, secondly for those who want them. Coercing the public into taking vaccines by limiting their access to social life and travel is abhorrent. That many governments in our supposed free and liberal western world is using tactics such as Covid Passes and Mandatory vaccination goes against every thing we are supposed to stand for in a "democratic" society.

Covid-19 was never a severe enough illness to warrant such measures. I am amazed at how the so-called left of centre liberals support such an authoritarian stance, but it goes to show how folks holding such views can be swayed into believing and supporting measures that should be against every fibre of your being.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sadly, waving tricolours these days is the indicator for our own home grown nutters, St Patrick's Day excepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

no they are just loons.

there wouldn't be forced medical shots in countries if there were no loons or at least not enough of them to actually be a problem still.

every vaccine has been experimental at one stage, however once approved for use it is generally no longer experimental.

we are fully free in ireland, everything is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The nutters in Canada were also against Smallpox vaccines.

By Sept. 2, 1885, the Board of Health in Montréal believed that there were about 2000 cases of smallpox present in the city. By Sept. 28, some experts were estimating 4000 cases. By late September, sanitary police began to forcibly remove people from housing conditions that made isolation impossible, often using harsh tactics, isolating the poor from housing and social support. On Sept. 28, the Board of Health announced that vaccination was to be made compulsory. In response, a “howling mob” surrounded the East End Branch Health Office that evening and “wrecked” the building. Protestors were as concerned with matters of identity as with vaccination, shouting phrases like, “Hurrah for the French-Canadians; Montréal is no longer for the English nor Irish.”

Constables gathered, but were driven away by the mob. The crowd travelled through the city, smashing windows of pharmacies that sold vaccines and of the homes of health officers. Antivaccine protesters smashed all the windows in the Central Police Station. The Chief of Police was stabbed and stoned, though he survived. Rioters fired at police, and police escalated their tactics in an attempt to disperse the mob. They armed themselves with rifles and bayonets, firing above the heads of the crowd. Finally, they began clubbing the rioters, causing them to break into groups that continued the destruction of property, damaging various buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Iv been watching some clips on YouTube and I say about damn time the people stand up to these basterds that's elected.

Canadians have a pair of balls unlike some.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well you obviously have an opinion on it and the EU has not prevented you for doing so..... When you start with such a delusion, it's hard to take you seriously after that.

• Advertisement

they were correct on the spread, it did slow it down, even the current varient would have spread faster and further but for the vaccines.

even if it was the case that the vast majority of undr 65s would have took covid on the chin and ploughed on, it would have failed and crashed the whole country so we had to be restricted to keep the country going.

the only reason there is manditary vaccination in some countries with encouragement in others, is because of the anti-vax brigade and because those who refuse to get vaccinated are more likely to end up in hospital when it would have been avoided, therefore in turn making things difficult for others who need to access services, so therefore that minority have to be forced to grow up some way.

covid 19 was severe enough when uncontrolled to require controlling, because it crashes countries systems and in turn causes problems elsewhere in the chain which would have eventually effected the rest of us, and that i am afraid, was not going to be allowed to happen here because we would have been in actual deep crap with an actual   crashed economy, health system and more.

facts are facts and when facts are relayed with supporting evidence then generally the majority of people understand that what has to be done has to be done, and that is why people did their bit and why people like you thankfully failed to undermine everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Of course I'm making it up, it's an opinion about what might happen in the future. I can't factcheck the future like thejournal.

I believe the Taoiseach said he prefers the voluntary approach, on a personal level. I don't equate that with saying that he won't in future when vaccination rates lower to similar as Austria. It might not be as preferable then.

Besides, best and preferable decisions might not be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well this guy discovered that they arent a bunch of racist , conspiracy "loons" after all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And what are you doing? Are your protesting from your armchair at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

What are the lies, misinformation and conspiracy theories that they are spreading? I already quoted where you said that the convoy was made up of these people. The "such as ? " was in relation to your statement that they are spreading lies, misinformation and conspiracy theories. What are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HerrKapitan

In my opinion they will lower as time goes on, as people get more comfortable with living with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ireland isnt suggesting mandatory vaccinations so no big deal really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I would have always thought Canadians had a bit more cop on than the Yanks when it came to populist nonsense like this but that clown Rob Fords time as mayor of Toronto was a warning sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mikethecop

just goes to show no matter how liberal a government there is always some self centered crackpot who demands that the government serve his specific demands and his demands only,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We would be in the EXACT same position as a year ago with just vaccines. Omicron is what saved us.

That's absolutely not true, deaths and severe illness from COVID drastically dropped as a result of the vaccine. Severe illness with COVID is now primarily with unvaccinated (hence them accounting for a disproportionate amount of ICU cases) and that's been the case throughout Delta.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There are plenty of extremely public folks in the US who are pro-vaccine, but anti-mandate. Heck, even Trump counts as such a person. To claim that all the truckers are anti-vaxxers (Has anyone actually conducted a survey?) seems to fly in the case of known behaviour. Up until now, there has never been a province in Canada which has mandated that everyone receive any vaccine, experimental or otherwise, from what research I can find. Only three provinces even require mandatory vaccinations to be enrolled in public schools (Ottawa, Manitoba, New Brunswick), and even then you can refuse to vaccinate your kid "out of conscience", the mandate really just permits denial of access during an outbreak. And, of course, homeschooling is not unusual in Canada.

I'm not sure about Canada, but I think it's a general rule that doctors cannot force someone to take a medical treatment or process without their consent, even if it would save their life. Even bearing in mind the public policy benefits to vaccinations to prevent onward transmission, that general rule is still a pretty strong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well... To be accurate. It's more unpleasant for some. Most people are asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Well done OP on calling out what you deem ‘MSM’ on Borads. The BBC listened to you and have it as their top news story. They even demoted a much more newsworthy story of a potential war in Ukraine that the British may end up dragged into. Three cheers for the OP!!!

State of emergency in Ottawa now. It should make for interesting reading. Will there be rioting and looting? It’s reported that there are already racist signs, people being attached for wearing masks, and hate crimes. Looks to be another excuse for extremists to push their higher agenda rather than an issue with vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Imagine being pro mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Over time you'd expect it to drift down towards the flu vaccine rates, as targeting of it would likely be vulnerable groups, like the over 65s. Booster rates will not come anywhere close to the original programme level.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I'd say you are taking the piss now...... anyway i had a local anesthetic & small medical procedure today and i had to sign a consent form. I think that should be the way for the vax too then we could all feel a little less dominated. I think the idea that elected officials who do have a sell by date making decisions on our body automony is just now sitting well with some people. After all they are all only an election a way from being nobodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

First paragraph was tongue in cheek, second paragraph was not.

Mandatory vaccines are not coming to Ireland, so you don’t need to worry.

Advertisement