Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Never needed a driving licence to travel abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads I can clear this up for ye.

Going abroad - passport.

Driving a car - driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

What on earth sort of cold are you getting that lasts 2 weeks?

I typed 1-2 weeks because I meant 1-2 weeks, not because I meant that every cold lasts 2 weeks. The average cold lasts 7-10 days. It's normal for a kid to have 8 or more colds per year and an adult to have 2-5 or more. These are not difficult facts to find, even if you happen, as I do, to be someone who very seldom gets sick and/or only usually has a very short course of disease. A cold is infectious from a few days before symptoms start until all symptoms are gone. Assuming that the cold encompasses a weekend, you're talking about a minimum of 10 days average absence for adults and 40 for kids. That's more than 20% of kids' school time, FYI. Minimum.

"but we also understand very little about pathogens, immunity and the human body," -- this is absolute nonsense.

It's not; you simply misunderstood the point I was making. That's okay. I'll try again.

We've known for a while that some infections can trigger autoimmunity and other issues, either immediately or later down the line. We've recently (last decade) discovered that there seems to be some mechanism by which certain infections, particularly in childhood, can make autoimmunity less likely in adulthood.

We barely understand these things, and they are far more complex to investigate than "how infectious disease spreads", the bones of which can be understood by the average five-year-old. Because we don't understand them well, it is impossible to say whether the net effect of significantly reducing the overall number of infectious diseases a person's immune system deals with over their lifetime, and especially in childhood, will be positive or negative. There is little point in eliminating colds, for example, if you then end up with way more sickly people who ultimately require more time off work and have a generally reduced standard of living, for the sake of drastically reducing the incidence of the common cold.

It really shouldn't be a remotely controversial stance to say "if you're noticeably sick you shouldn't be in work, for your own sake and those around you. Just stay at home for a few days".

It is controversial for the reasons outlined above.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you have kids - especially small ones -colds last 1-2 weeks.Runny nose, bit cranky and miserable, then often a cough.Cough is the last symptom to appear usually.At least 2 weeks and believe me you notice when you are counting if you are up for several nights on end with a child, or keeping an eye for it potentially being covid and wondering should they go to school.

Chances are that adult colds may appear to last less long because we have them like that as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Whooping cough is three months of an annoying cough. We thought it would never end😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AsTheQuoFlies

A lot of workers simply do not have the option of taking a sick day, as you said. If you're struggling to get by and have the misfortune to develop a cold, 60 Euro to a GP and the prospect of no paid sick leave can make a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Not a single word in "free" and "independent" Irish media:

Justin Trudeau and family move to secret location as Canada trucker protests spark security fears:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/justin-trudeau-trucker-convoy-protest-canada-b2003458.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Anti vaccination protestors, a great bunch of people

• Advertisement

Nice to see the reporting of the daily figures is now moving to twice weekly figures! Am I right in saying our last COVID related restriction is now the mask mandate which is due to be reviewed at the end of February?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are protesting the mandates, not vaccination. Many have made a point to say they are fully vaccinated themselves.

They're causing national security fears, they're not protesting at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"They are protesting the mandates, not vaccination. Many have made a point to say they are fully vaccinated themselves."

If you think different than Social Media tells you, you must be dangerous, unvaccinated individual...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

For the less hysterical posters here, here's a fairly balanced report of todays peaceful demonstration in Ottawa.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No, schools, creches and child care settings are still as they were 2 weeks ago (even though it wasn't listed under the "everything bar these 3 things are going" list last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are protesting, and they arent a threat to national security. Trudeau is too scared to face them so he ran away and hid. Over 8 million dollars raised and just the sheer amount of support the drivers have must have him a bit scared. Already some Canadian provincial leaders are ending the mandates , so its working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

If this thing with Trudeau is true you really would have to fear for the future. There are people alive today who fought the Nazis and this “leader” of a country goes into hiding because a few meaneys are protesting. Social. Media. Pandemic. And of course his little plan will probably work, getting him sympathy from likeminded cowardly little simpletons. #prayforTrudeau

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

They’re ‘causing fears’ alright. Just not the type you’re looking for in order to delegitimise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Anti vaccine mandate & cert protesters. Don't you understand there is a difference?

I am treble vaccinated cos I trusted politics/government to do the right things for the right reasons. But in a few countries governments have taken the pandemic and started running away with it on odd tangents, betraying that trust. That sadly includes my birth country Germany.

Don't you think its legitimate to protest against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Chatting to young relatives in national school

They said they're freezing cold in masks with the windows open

Mother said it's the same for granddaughter in secondary

Pubs back to normal no masks , doesn't seem right to me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

She got all her vaccines, so assume whooping cough was part of it.

The doctor wasn't too concerned at the time. No quarantine or anything like that... I guess some get it despite vaccine?

In general, DTaP vaccines are 80% to 90% effective. Among kids who get all 5 doses of DTaP on schedule, effectiveness is very high within the year following the 5th dose – at least 9 out of 10 kids are fully protected. There is a modest decrease in effectiveness in each following year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When you look at the hard line that has been taken in some countries you can appreciate how well we actually have dealt with that aspect of vaccination. Of course, it was helped by a general keenness to get vaccinated. Additionally, our approach was to sell the vaccines as the way out of this. That the various variants scuppered that is less of an issue.

Where the likes of Trudeau and other countries have gone IMO is obviously down to lower vaccination rates but also public health messaging around it having become a disease of the unvaccinated. At that stage you've stopped trying to persuade people and in that type of environment it's very easy to get most of the public to back you for mandates and Macron really got the ball rolling there. 

I wouldn't consider what they are doing to be protesting, they've caused national security fears and put their own government into hiding

Alleged security fears and really a problem of their own making. It's like the drama of a very bad novel. There are many ways to navigate this and they've opted for a route that is viewed as utterly coercive. They've run with an idea that looks good in other places but which might be out of place in Canada. This is a country with 79% fully vaccinated and 85% with one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Quags

National Security when it suits them, the same way the Irish Gov threw out the National Security bollox a few weeks ago when people started to turn. They want the mandate dropped that requires unvaccinated Canadian truckers crossing between the US & Canada to quarantine once they've returned home.

People are starting to have enough of this thing and about time

the same way the Irish Gov threw out the National Security bollox a few weeks ago when people started to turn

And this was what exactly?

• Advertisement

That I can understand and even it is that journalistic titan Dublin Live those at both extremes are kindred spirits. Some people really cannot help themselves and have no concept of civil society. Permanent anger seems to be a way of life, despite its life-shortening tendency.

Advertisement