Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But there is no such "restriction" in the UK. The retailers aren't requiring masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As long as the legal requirements is removed, anyone who wants to keep wearing a mask can and will do so. Anyone who doesn't, won't.

Any retailer who tries to retain it for entry to their stores will likely lose custom to those who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Look around at mask usage in general.

Masks are pulled out of a handbag, pocket, car door and are reused several times.

People can even take them off coming out of Tesco and put them on the other way round going into Lidl.

They are put on by a lot in my experience for the shortest period of time.

Then people don't wear them correctly.(Nose out)

Look at the mask interest on the thread here for example.(Very little)

If the government scrapped masks in the morning some will install stop wearing them and others would follow then after a while.

Those who want to can of course continue to do so.

People in real life aren't like they are on Twitter.

Similar those who'd be renting on Facebook about x not wearing a mask in a queue or shop. Would generally be the local curtain twitcher. Who'd always want to be seen as the Ms/Mr Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I've been going maskless, or wearing my mask very inappropriately, both at work and in shops, since Mehole declared the pandemic was over last week, and no one has said a word to me.

If shops expect me to wear a mask after the legal requirement is lifted, then I'll be shopping elsewhere.

However, the company I work for is run by covid worriers, and they are carrying on with restrictions regardless of what happens in the real world....

They pay minimum wage and can't attract extra staff, so they can't afford for anyone to go sick or have to quarantine.

I think even after masks are no longer a legal requirement, they'll still be a part of our lives, whether it be at work, or just having to look at covid worriers wearing them out in the fresh air.

"i'll show them my nose, that will show the bastards!"

• Advertisement

Lips too, and sometimes a bit of chin as well 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

They may find that their staff won't stick around if they persist with that approach, especially if it's minimum wage.

Job market at that level is extremely active with the reopening of businesses, and staff attrition/hiring is normally a constant thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I asked for evidence as to why excess deaths were a multiple of actual globally.

No. You didn't.

I said:

The number of people alive today who would not have been if not for SARS-CoV-2 will be far outstripped by the number of people dead who would not have been if not for the disgustingly hysterical response.

You:

there is absolutely zero evidence for your final statement on deaths due to the response.

Me:

What is your take on what the collateral damage from Covid restrictions will be? Or are you of the opinion that it's all rainbows and unicorn farts and there's zero downside?

You:

Estimates of global Covid deaths are at about 16million. I am sure you have some evidence multiples of that will be caused by the reaction of governments to the virus?

This is the first mention of "multiples", introduced by you. As you're asserting that estimates of Covid deaths are over 16 million, while providing one source that admits "some uncertainty, sometimes enormous". This was before anyone was allowed to admit the "with/from" distinction, which was later covered in the media.

Interesting that you chose the 1700 home deaths and not the quarter million children dead from starvation. It will all shake out in the end, but you're being incredibly disingenuous in your quest for internet points.

And you've still never said whether you think there's any collateral damage at all from covid restrictions.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

That might apply in a place with younger staff, but not here, and I'm "settled"... Masks aside it's an OK place to work, and it's close to home.

Time will tell if they loosen up I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Ah the same old arguments trotted out again.

So let's go over that again. Just because some people chose to ignore common sense - it doesn't follow everyone else has to accommodate them by throwing public health advice into the bin.

We know Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as vaccination, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help reduce the risk of infection.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Unfortunately there will always be some who won't wear a mask where required or will wear their mask inappropriately. Others won't wash their hands and there will be those who ignore social distancing. Does that mean these preventative measures don't work? The simple answer is no. These measures do work and thankfully those who don't acknowledge that, don't get to dictate public health advice.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

When I was in London last October, masks were still "mandatory" on public transport in London but only around 50% of people were wearing masks. Even in Heathrow where masks are mandatory about 20% of staff were not wearing them.

I can't see shops enforcing their recommendations if even an airport does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Those discriminatory driving licenses and passports being required to travel between countries must really get to you as well then.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

tesco not a retail and a massively huge one at that

Tesco loves masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

One of the biggest mistakes with masks and even vaccines was "to protect others"

Such a load of crap, vaccines are to protect YOU ...

Masks are to protect YOU...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

You must be in a blind rage that this is starting to come to an end yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Sadly I suspect in some people's mind Covid will never end

I love the pivot from “everyone should have the right to choose” to “look at all the stupid people wearing masks” when it’s all that’s left for ye to rant about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nop, been going about as normal since everything opened up last year, happy to see normality resume.

You still obsessing about countries having mask mandates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Ahh it wouldn’t be discrimination, any business has a right to refuse service as they see fit! (With the exception of medical, sexual, racial grounds etc)

One of us is spending our days trawling months old posts to find snippets from lengthy conversations to paint a less than accurate picture of what was said….

And to answer your question, which has been answered loads of times already, of course there are negative consequences to any action. You and your ilk have being continually arguing that there are only negative consequences to the actions taken without any positives whatsoever. The main one being the fact that the shitshow in terms of direct illness and death and the total wipeout of any semblance of healthcare that would have resulted in April 2020 or January 21 without action was averted. Imagine if 20% of the population had caught it between Dec 1st 2020 and Jan 31st 2021 like have in the past two months. Vaccines and omicron have brought us to the end though.

So long chaps. I’m off for a couple of pints

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Everyone absolutely should have the right to choose, even if what they do seems silly or stupid to me. Someone saying “your choice is stupid” isn’t the same thing as saying “you should not have a choice”.

Newstalk talking about a survey they've run about life post restrictions/Covid and saying 70% are supportive of the recent removal of most restrictions.

However on other questions like if they'll do away with wearing masks, return to shaking hands or hugging, or handle cash, the results are closer with the answers ranging between 30-50% saying they'll be hesitant.

As I've said for a long time now, the mental health impact of 2 years of constant coverage and analysis, scaremongering, multiple covid ads per hour, multiple notifications per day from news apps with case/death numbers, and all the rest has been huge and will take a LONG time to recover from in this country.

It's clear too that there will be long lasting social consequences with a significant minority still nervous about returning to perfectly normal and harmless activities. It's almost as if these people have forgotten that almost everyone has been vaccinated multiple times and the latest variant is little more than a cold for almost all who get it.

Add in the other problems that haven't gone away - housing, rising costs of living, the continuing complete inadequacy of the health service, and all the rest - and there are going to be a lot of people who'll struggle hugely under the mental pressure that these things bring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Doesn't look like we're back to normal really

Creches having major issues with staff , Children still in pods ? What's that about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Also a country with slave labour - the ‘guest’ workers, whose passports are taken until they work off the debt for their passage and lodgings. An ideal place to discuss mental health, not your typical junket to the sun. And minister Donnelly is there too, it’s a joke what we put up with from these people. Who is there to vote for that won’t scam the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Well this is it , we haven't started to count the cost

This crazy school situation , I think we need to be getting some clarity on this from the top

Advertisement