Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's what YOU want. That's not what everyone wants or needs. The specific team that I work in, is a technology team that's a mixture of engineers and project managers. We've settled into a groove that's highly collaborative, open and friendly but also non-disruptive. There is a daily team meeting that starts on time whether everyone is there or not, gets everyone's input and then ends. It's scheduled for 30 minutes but usually finishes in 15. It's not hijacked by people chatting or going off topic. Throughout the day if anyone needs to speak to someone else, they can - but in their own time. If someone wants to ask me a question I can tell them I'll be available in ten minutes. Or an hour. Or tomorrow.

On-site, this is a much more chaotic day. Meetings start late, they finish late and have a pile of nonsense chat that is only of interest to two attendees. Throughout the working day, if you don't have people coming to your desk and imposing themselves on you to ask questions every 30 minutes, you still have the background noise of other people talking and asking eachother questions. This kind of environment probably suits some individuals and some roles. There are other people and other roles where it provides basically no value. You don't need to be standing in the same room to be collaborative.

We've all expressed the desire to do on-site days, but in a way that's not a regular day. Because for a "regular day", you'll get better work done at home. Instead, everyone comes on site, we run through a few meetings, workshops and planning, and then we go out on the piss. Social cohesion is a great way to grease the wheels to ensure that when working remotely everyone gets along. But just being onsite on a regular working day, is not conducive to building social cohesion.

99% of bosses who want people back on site are either control freaks who cannot figure out how to measure productivity without breathing down peoples' necks, or they're complete extroverts for whom going to work is a social event more than a way to earn a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You wrote a long post purporting to disagree with me yet appear to agree that there should be some office attendance on a regular basis.

As for your 99% of bosses stat ill give that the consideration it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Leo Varadkar: “We’d intend to have this legislated before the summer recess and certainly in place this year.”

I'm pretty sure this was originally to be in place by April? Any guesses as to when it will actually be in place?

Am told (more speculation than official) that we'll be brought back in full time by March. When legislation is in they'll review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Back in the office full time from next Monday with a bang. Will be interested to see how requests are rejected where I work once we are "allowed" request WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surprised that no one of has commented on the right to request remote work only applying after you have worked in a place for six months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is going to be a great big game of musical chairs. People will resign if employers are inflexible and take wfh or jobs closer to where they live. Others will fill the jobs they leave because they can’t get a wfh job/they want to work in an office/the job is close to where they live. Those that want to wfh will hopefully find enough jobs, employers will most likely find people will to work in the offices and everyone will be happy, until they aren’t. Let’s see what affect wfh v office attendance has on promotion, or redundancies. Allowances have been made for any short comings in training and productivity, when demand/businesses ramp up, I doubt those allowances will be viewed so benignly. So, it’s happy days as long as the music is playing, let’s see who is left standing when it stops.

I'm not sure why that would make a difference to be honest.

Anyone applying to a place who wants 100% remote or hybrid, will state that during the interview process and as recently reported by recruitment agencies, if its not on the table, candidates just won't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

If it's an unhappy environment, it won't be made any happier by dragging people back into the office against their will. My working morale has never been happier than during the past 2 years, and the same is true for the entire team. Nobody is in a hurry to go back. We have a Teams meeting once a week to talk about what's going on and make plans and chat, with ad-hoc meetings/phone calls scattered throughout the week.

I suppose that would only apply to new entrants who have signed up for an office based job, if wfh is included in the job offer, then it does not count. It cannot be used to make a new entrant who joined with wfh as one of the contracted terms & conditions go to the office full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve also regularly seen the very opposite of “team morale” in probably any office I’ve worked in- there are personality clashes and dislikes in practically all offices of any size. Just human nature. I’ve no doubt most people here have too.

Very often pretty far from the Waltons mountain “everyone collaborating” vision some like to paint it as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's important for the employer to manage this process either way, given their legal responsibility. They can't bum the responsibility of providing a safe workplace off onto their employees.

Any decent employer will have the ergonomic checks done now that the Pandemic is coming to a close if they plan on allowing some staff to permantely work from home or a hybrid model. I would imagine 95% of workers will have room for a desk and office chair where they live and the other 5% will have to go to office.

If offices don't at least allow a hybrid model then they are in trouble retaining their best staff.

I think you fail to understand that it was government advice to work from home during the pandemic.

Next imaginary issue Andrew?

For hybrid working, online trainings and self certification is fine. Been like that with 2 companies for a decade for me. Full time WFH as an employee (not a contractor) is different. But there’s not many offering that.

but rest assured that the lawyers and H&S types will be trying to persuade everyone that hybrid working is more complex than this

No idea what point you're trying to make here. Not sure what you mean about bumming the responsibility. Maybe you might clarify, I'm just hoping this doesn't go down some silly route of your weird logic and instead focuses on the actual legal requirements.

If an employee wants to do WFH they (employer & employee) have to meet the legislated requirements and pass a risk assessment.

Its really pretty straightforward

As you've noted yourself, decent employers will indeed do this.

So that leaves the indecent employers - are their employees just collateral damage for you?

There are indeed possible solutions here, and many employers will address these. A relative got their standing desk delivered, along with an electric drill to assemble the desk, which seems remarkably generous.

But not all employers are doing this, leaving employees exposed to injuries in the future.

Don't think it's that straightforward really. To be reasonably confident, the employer needs to do an on-site assessment, which is logistically difficult. They'd also need to do it periodically, or find a way to confirm that nothing has changed.

It is certainly feasible, and good employers will do a grand job at it. But some employers won't do a decent job at ensuring the workplace is safe unless they are dragged kicking and screaming to the table.

Usually it’s WRC rulings rather than lawyers/H&S types which dictate how complex this is. I’m not sure that ignorance would be a defence, or in your case, the assumption that self certification was fine.

Yeah, again you are focusing on outliers, in this case employers who don't or won't keep up with legislated requirements. This is not a WFH only issue as such problems have existed since day dot, as a result we had to legislate and enforce against non-adherence well before wfh en masse ever arose. Doing wfh does not change this.

I will concede that how risk assessments are done may need to be altered going forward but that doesn't mean they don't have to be done or that they won't be done.

You say "but whatabout x, y or z", well I say thats just whataboutery. The legal requirements are clear, follow them, no issue, don't follow them, its an issue. As yer man says, thats the law and thats a fact.

Like I said, its pretty straightforward.

• Advertisement

Two MMCS with substantial Irish operations who’ve been doing hybrid working for years. But, sure, what do they know. I must let our HR department know that some guy off the internet thinks they’re ignorant

I didn’t say THEY were ignorant. HR are paid to know what way the wind is blowing in relation to employee legislation and WRC rulings. Woody you could well be one of the few people in this country who doesn’t understand that there has been a seismic shift in work practices as a result of Covid, which in turn will inevitably lead to focus on employee H&S considerations whilst working from home. New legislation has been introduced in recently on GDPR, and is being introduced on wfh. What was once an occasional working relationship may soon become the norm and with that will follow the claims against employers. The “ah sure this is the way we have been doing it for years” defence will be about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Lest you feel I am being overly harsh, go ask HR if they are having to update their policies in relation to wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GDPR is not new. These data protection policies for working from home were enhanced long ago. And the training is pretty bloody relentless tbh

if people are not forced for work from home then there is no issue re H&S. If you are forced work from home a couple of days a week and are not allowed into the office despite having no good work from home space then, yes, there is an issue. But no sensible employer would do this. And if they do, they deserve what they get. If WFH on a hybrid basis is on the table as an option, as it will be for most, and the employee does the training and attests to their environment then there will be no issue.

and that is direct from our own HR

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

Why are people getting so wound up about having to go back to the office. Unless your the boss then you don't have a say. The government are bringing in these rules because they have probably been advised that productivity is down. Its won't be easy getting up that bit earlier and getting home that bit later and having to make a lunch or buy a lunch each day. A lot of us unfortunately didn't get this opportunity to work from home so suck it up guys. Welcome back to the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Probably because people 'had to' WFH for the last two years - the companies didn't mind then so long as the work continued.

And it did continue. And in that time, many people discovered that they were just as productive if not more so. They also discovered that they had much more time back as they no longer needed to commute. They had more time to spend with family or friends or see their kids. They could get out for a walk at lunchtime, they could make a nice lunch and when 5pm rolled around they were able to shut the laptop down and go live their life, immediately and didn't have to think about work until the next day. They no longer had to spend their free time in the evening preparing a lunch & clothes for the next day.

Now companies are asking their workforce to come back into the office, do the exact same thing that many have been successfully doing at home for the past two years and say goodbye to all of the benefits I listed above and for what - teamwork? Colloboration?

If there has been no teamwork or colloboration in the past two years then that says more about your team/company than it does about WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where is “the productivity is down” statement coming from? Evidence and figures please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

The list of advantages for those working from home is endless, I know that. But the reason people were at home was due to government recommendations and to slow the spread of covid.

Do you think companies want employees to come back to the office for some team collaboration and to just piss people off.

I doubt it. I'm sure they will have their homework done and have valid reasons which they should be well entitled to do!

Advertisement