Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The guy spoke for two hours clearly and spritely, contrary to your and other poster's "Sleepy Joe" narrative.

Rather than admit you and others were talking utter BS, you pick something else to complain about.

Careful now, before you know it you might have to discuss actual policy as opposed to personal jibes at biden, and perhaps even leave those emojis behind, like a big boy.

The idea of Biden being mentally unfit was brought up 5 posts ago by you. Now it’s you again bringing up the sleepy joe stuff, not the poster you are reprimanding. Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

You forgot the Afghanistan withdrawal, the Debacle that embarrassed America on the world stage and sent his approval ratings to the mid 40%'s and never recovered.

In fact a quick check on five thirty-eight.com shows Bidens approval rating today has fallen to the lowest point of his entire presidency so far with:

41.8%

He has evidently lost the approval of independent voters and even democrat voters at this stage.

He's a one term president if even that.

Democrats would want to be getting their 2024 candidate ready because they are in a world of pain right now and its all down to a woefull and at times shockingly low level of competence for such experienced politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think the Sleepy Joe thing is just done for a bit of craic.

The dementia thing as well.

It's always important to keep humour and make fun of politicians.

Obviously some don't understand that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

"He's a one term president if even that."

Never underestimate the ability of the opposing party to shoot themselves in the foot.

That said, the Ukrainians are pissed.

• Advertisement

I mentioned it was a talking point of the right, which it is.

Have you difficulty reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Spoke for two hours most of which was reading off a screen then took questions at the end, and managed to more or less invite Russia to invade Ukraine and just shrug when asked the "why do so many people think you're in your dotage" question

I dunno, if I was president I'd be using the question to try convince people I'm on the ball rather than just saying "no idea"

But yeah, other than that, a command performace. Now have a smiley 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think the polling shows that it's a talking point. No need to add "of the right"

Your certainly not wrong and I was a bit a heavy in my wording there to be fair.

Neither party seems to be in healthy condition or have a clear message going into 2024.

I think America loses if either Biden or Trump are president in January 2025. Unity is needed and neither have proved to be able to unite the country when it is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Jaysus it's not a great week for Biden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Also if (fairly unlikey though tbh) he got everyone into a nuclear war with Russia, would at that point his fanboys here, maybe, just maybe, start to question their guy?

"We must protect 15% of the Ukrainian land (who had a revolution to replace their current government with another corrupt government, who now many of them wouldn't mind being annexed to be part of yet another corrupt country) because democracy is never bad, unless when we say it is and invade/proxy war/support revolution!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What difference will it make if the Democrats lose the next election. America doesn't seem to change drastically no matter who the president is.

You are correct nothing much changes.

Economy goes boom bust boom bust no matter who is in charge.

The wealthy get wealthier and those struggling struggle further. Which makes all this republican v Democrat thing often pointless and partisan battles so often come at the expense of actually sorting policy to help those millions struggling.

It's hard to see a path out of it as in it's very nature every 4 years it's red v blue the whole system is built on division and not unity and that divide is now at concerning levels amplified by social media the internet and the way society is heading.

There is no good v bad only winners v losers in America and those struggling most are the ones losing with this increase in idealogical divide.

Reporter: "A moment ago, you were asked whether or not you believed that we would have free and fair elections in 2022 if some of these state legislatures reformed their voting protocols. You said that it depends. Do you -- do you think that they would in any way be illegitimate?"

Biden: "Oh, yeah, I think it easily could be -- be illegitimate. Imagine -- imagine if, in fact, Trump has succeeded in convincing Pence to not count the votes."

Reporter: "In regard to 2022, sir -- the midterm elections."

Biden: "Oh, 2022. I mean, imagine if those attempts to say that the count was not legit. You have to recount it and we're not going to count -- we're going to discard the following votes. I mean, sure, but -- I'm not going to say it's going to be legit. It's -- the increase and the prospect of being illegitimate is in direct proportion to us not being able to get these -- these reforms passed."

(cnn)

Of course this is going to be spun two completely different ways, but what is Biden saying here? Is he saying if they don’t get the reforms passed then the 2022 election will be illegitimate? Didn’t trump say something similar about mail in voting in 2019?

If that’s what he’s saying what implications does this have for previous elections.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The difference is one was and still is utterly without an iota of evidence (Trump in 2019) whereas Biden is expressing concern about what the GOP are trying and succeeding so far to do in advance of 2022/2024, which is a clear effort to rig the elections in their favour and the evidence is there for everyone to see.

Like for example in Georgia where in one county , the GOP are trying to close all but one voting site , along with reducing access to mail-in voting thereby making it really difficult to vote.

They even say it out loud - Ken Paxton , the Attorney General for Texas just said on Bannons podcast the other day "We (the GOP) are done if everybody can vote" .

More people voting means the GOP lose so they are doing everything they can to suppress turnout in Urban areas especially ,where they don't usually pick up many votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not a good week for Biden, seems to have put his foot in it regards NATO and the Ukraine during a very sensitive time.

Polls are terrible for him as well and getting worse.

He is barely staying above Trump's numbers at this point and his own supporters are growing weary of him I feel.

The county in question votes heavily Republican (68% Trump last election), how does going to just one polling site help the GOP? There are about 6,000 voters, and none of them live more than 15 minutes' drive from the county seat. Maybe it's just a matter of efficiency. There are better examples to use.

Even at that, having only one polling site isn't the end of the world. Jefferson county, KY and Democrat-governed, voted 60% for Biden, the county administrators saying they didn't have the ability to have multiple sites. One single polling site for 600,000 eligible voters. They got the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

The big issue is is there an alternative? Many are frustrated that they are not getting a left wing leader so what is the alternative to them when someone comes up against him repeating Trump's points? It is first past the post so voting for anyone other than one of the two is essentially not voting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Reasonable points in isolation, but in the last election most of the votes cast were mail-in which they are also severely cutting back on.

So they are reducing polling stations , reducing access to mail-in and early voting and removing huge numbers of people from the voting registers for various (and sometimes spurious) reasons.

It's the cumulative impact of all these changes that just make it that bit more difficult to vote than it should be.

Nothing they are doing could reasonably be described as increasing agency and making it less difficult for people to cast their legally entitled vote.

And it most certainly has absolutely ZERO to do with "Election Integrity and Security".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The failure to deliver. The promise of $10,000 student debt relief immediately, is going to be doozy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Joe is clearly cognitively impaired,, an old man that is past his sell by date. But with that said, he is still miles ahead of that nut job Kamala Harris.

And another nut job looks like she is being lined up to be the Democratic Party pick to run against Trump (again). I think Bill will be kept away from the typing pool interns if his wife wins.

All the above are near 80 or thereabouts.

Tulsi Gabbard would do a better job then any of them, and should really be the Dems pick next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Kamala is a nutjob and Tulsi Gabbard is the answer, funniest thing I'll read all day 😂

Tulsi Gabbard is an interesting one.

She made peices of Kamala in the live debates and was soon abandoned by the Democrats by not falling in line.

She may have a future with the republican party where she is growing in Popularity.

Democratic party is very cut throat it seems you either say what they want you too or your alienated.

That's why they are left with a bland president and vice president who bring no personality to the Whitehouse and have lost the American public.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why is Harris a nut job? I’m not a fan of her at all, but she seems sane to me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Are you joking about Joe or not, because someone else here said that was a wind up?

Just trying to separate the arguments being made in good faith, and wind up merchants. It's pretty difficult in this thread to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,050 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Biden needs to learn the frequently used tactic that Ronald Reagan used when he got caught making a mistake. “There I go again.” Many would laugh and let him move on.

I have to say, I'm content enough with Gabbard (I have issues with her, but compared to the other options?) and was planning to vote for her in the primary until she pulled out before Texans could vote.

• Advertisement

Democratic party is very cut throat it seems you either say what they want you too or your alienated.

Seriously?

No question that the Democrats need to worry less about their "purity tests" and focus more on simply winning , but being a dissenting voice in the current Democrat party is certainly an infinitely safer/easier place to be than being a dissenting voice in todays GOP.

Advertisement