Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

It's an interesting topic. People will counterfeit anything that's worth money. The New York Times had a similar story recently.

You can buy empty bottles of bourbon on eBay. A quick search brought this bottle up below for example. An empty bottle of 20 year Pappy for $289!

I've tried all six in the Van Winkle range and I'm going to review them individually for my blog. I plan to discuss bourbon, buffalo trace distillery and the secondary market. I think I might look into the fake market too. I'll post them here too.

I wonder is there much of a counterfeiting issue within Irish whiskey considering the prices some bottles are commanding?

There was issues with whiskey originating in Belarus being marketed as Irish whiskey a few years ago but it wasn't a copy of an existing brand. Jameson has been faked in Africa before in back street operations.

I haven't heard yet of a fake Knappogue Castle 1951 or Dungourney 1964. I remember listening to am interview with the owner of Irish Whiskey Auctions and he said he had only come across one or two genuinely dodgy bottles in his time. I wonder will that change?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's not something I know much about but the IWA does seem to have expressed concerns about global counterfeiting of Irish whisky, they did a campaign a few years ago about it.

I think what I'm nearly more interested in is this issue of fraudulent 'refills' of bottles. I would be really curious to know whether it's going in with the likes of MVR where there is a high demand in the secondary market, and many buyers are perhaps not overly familiar with whiskey in general. I'm sure there's not much of it but surely someone has refilled and resealed a couple of bottles and got them away to an incautious buyer who thinks they are getting something at a "good price".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another Christmas gift set miniatures present. This time Fercullen (Powerscourt). I'd sampled these before over time, but the set gave me a chance to try them side by side.

The 10 year old single grain (40%) and 14 year old single malt (46%) are an obvious step up in quality and length of finish from the premium blend (40%) - which is nice, mellow and smooth but doesn't bring the same flavour hit. I'd put it on the same level as say Slane blended whiskey.

Personally I'd pick the single grain as my favourite, the citrus / honey flavours preferred over the spice of the single malt.

I think the single grain also wins out on value at €58 versus €45 for the blend and €93 for the single malt.

I wish more distilleries / bottlers would put together sets like this :)

I guess they must sell a lot of these gift sets in Powerscourt / tours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Opened up the Select, and did a tasting alongside one of its older brothers, the PX cask.

The Select is a complete mongrel of Laphroaig whiskies, and includes PX cask in the mix of course.

This is classic Laphroaig on the nose, and not as rich or long a finish as the PX cask but it’s actually more balanced. I think the PX is a bit on the sickly side, If I’m honest.

For the money, this is a great, great low cost Islay option.

My dry January has become “mostly dry January” now.

• Advertisement

Opened up a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Slightly thin at 40% versus the 45% American version. Picked it up for £18 before Christmas. Good value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've come across 2 bottles of Jameson that really did not taste anything like Jameson. Both were bought from the same shop. Colour and ABV were spot on, which was kinda strange.

Contacted IDL and they replaced them and took them away. Unsurprisingly , we didn't get any feedback on what the story was, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Very interesting.

What way did they taste do yo mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Is Jameson Orange available anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

Newry....don't waste your time...horrid stuff.

• Advertisement

It was really harsh and nasty - kinda bitter, as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Drinking my first Redbreast 12. It’s really interesting, have been trying it with water one day and ice the next. I get 2 different tastes nearly but don’t know which I prefer, though slightly leaning towards ice.

Seen I can potentially get the Redbreast 15 for €83 here but have to get it delivered in. From reading posts here it is super tempting to try!

When pouring a drink, do you use a measure or count or just go with the feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

No measures. Just tip in a dropeen and then a small drop for luck. If I'm in the mood for a proper drink, I just pour until I feel its enough and sip it for however long it lasts.

I'm sure everyone is different though. A mate of mine has the bottle beside him and just tips in a small drop every now and then. I prefer to leave the bottle on the shelf after pouring.

I tend to free pour, but I do think there's value in knowing what is roughly a large pub measure, just so you have a frame of reference, and using a measure for the first while can help with this.

I drink my whisky neat now, without water or ice, but when I add water to high ABV / cask strength whiskies I sometimes still use the measure in order to have a bit more accuracy. I don't really like free pouring a splash of water in, because it seems like I'm battling to get the amount consistent, one time it'll be a negligible splash that's too little and then if I get it wrong there's nothing worse than over-diluting whisky.

No rules with this stuff, though.

Thanks for the replies on that! And I will try and buy 2. Have spent a few hundred on whiskey over the last month so may only get away with buying 1 😄

One last question. Do you use a tumbler or any specific glass. I'm ok at wine so use Reidel Wine glasses and use them for whiskey now also. Does it make a big difference using a tumbler or a Glencairn glass? Does it make a big difference?

My partner doesn't like whiskey so it will only be myself or one of the mates (who would probably be after beer or gin anyway).

Glass choice can make a difference for nosing the whisky, yes.

Anything with a tulip shape is going to be more optimal for funnelling the aroma to your nose. A wine glass, or a brandy snifter, could be a good option if you don't have a dedicated whisky glass like a Gleincairn and this is important to you.

Tumblers, or any glass with a wide opening, have an application for people who want to add more ice perhaps.

I use a mixture, to be honest. You can always cover part of the opening of a tumbler to get more a proper whiff once or twice as well.

At some stage it would be worth buying a Glencairn style glass just to try it, but they're very fragile, they have rarely lasted long in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I got one of those Irish style glass with a bottle of Mc Connell's whiskey i got for my dad and I have to say the curved outward rim, designed to supposedly take away the alchoholic harshness of the whiskey, to me, mutes it all a little too much, especially for scotch. Nice to hold though. Its called a 'Tuath' glass.

I like the glencairn but the thicker walls of the glass and rim puts me off to. My favourite is a port glass, a very small wine glass with a thin wall. You can really get your nose into it too.

edit: The downside is they are delicate. I broke my last one the other day but it was this one:

https://www.vinhodoporto.nl/en/product/calem-port-for-two/

The glencairn is the default whiskey glass for most. I like the tuath as well but some people aren't keen on them. My two favorites are the ones below. The teeling one is best for nosing I have found.

I like this one below for brandy and big sherry bomb whiskey.

There is a difference between just drinking whiskey versus tasting it too. If your on your fifth glass from a bottle you may not be bothered sitting nosing it or writing notes. Glassware might not be important then.

As for how you drink it I'd advise trying it with and without water. Try it with ice. Whatever way you like is the way you drink it. I use a pipette (Not a gold one unfortunately) to drop a little bit of water into some but not all higher abv whiskey. I find the cask strength blue spot is nicer with a couple of drops of water. Not a fan of ice or cold whiskey on its own. Jameson and ginger or a Powers with club lemon with a load of ice is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We're terrible for breaking glasses here so I ended up on fairly cheap ones, but they're now my go to. These ones are only €1.50 in Ikea. The shape is very similar to the classic Glengairn, little lower and wider. The glass is nice and thin and they sit in the palm of your hand perfectly

I'm also a neat drinker, but if I end up with one I don't love I'll try a little water to see what it does. I still don't understand how it can make so much difference!

• Advertisement

Interesting comments there. I was looking a these Glencairn the other day, some of it because I think the set up looks good.

I will buy a tumbler and Gelncairn and see if I can taste a difference. Surprisingly, I tried the 21 year old Glenlivet and notice a huge difference between it and the Redbreast! My girlfriend doesn’t like whiskey but always has a sip and she noticed it too!!

Will try the Redbreast with ice, water and neat over the weekend and see how that turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Just back from Tesco (Celbridge) with a Tesco Finest Single Malt 12 PX sherry finished at 35 euro .Id forgotten how good it tastes .I notice everywhere is low or has no Bush at 23 the new floor for a bottle .This new min pricing order is a curse .Surely it has to make Lidl's Pricess Margot 3 year old Scotch extinct (up from 15 euro) when the solid 8 year old is the same price /Lets hope they dont try up the prices even more to rebalance it !Anyway I reckon recent price increases/gouging now makes a 12 at 35 VERY respectable value .I think this time of the year is well and truly 'Blue Monday /January for whiskey sippers what with everything at top whack vs pre Christmas sales .And wtf is with the Easter Eggs out three months early!?Slainte !

Finally killed that XO I see? Still a third of a bottle left her as a result of herself being pregnant for most of 2021. I need to find something to replace it soon enough though to lessen the temptation.

I'm just getting into the throes of finishing the last assignment for the Masters tonight and that's me done with education for the year.

Naturally, despite the plethora of choice on the shelves here, I've gone you know where... Imagination is shot these days. May follow with the Cuvee if I'm still going ln a few hours.

RE glassware. I stumbled on this tumbler when I moved in to this apartment and it's now my go to dram holder. Have loads of other of varying sizes and still go back to this.

The first cut line up from the base is approx. 35-40ml so it's a decent enough gauge of a measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

New to the Whiskey game in the last 18 months or so.

Started out with cocktails when gifted a shaker, and gradually moved into more whiskey-forward drinks until I was comfortable just sipping neat or with ice.

I've not bought the same bottle twice yet, save RB12 and maybe Roe & Co because it does tend to go cheap in sales.

I've currently a bottle of RB12, Yellow Spot, Bushmills Black Bush in the cabinet.

I've tried a few at the lower end of the price spectrum and had some pleasant surprises; Bushmills Black Bush, Roe & Co, Slaney, Sexton's were all enjoyable straight in or in mixed drinks, and a few sassy ones like (looking at you, Connemara)

Any suggestions I should pad out my "collection" with. I was considering some bottles like the Rum Cask Tullamore Dew, or some of Jameson's other expressions. I just want a bit of variety in there, so I can try a couple in the evening, and get a better understanding of the different experiences.

@FortuneChip the Rum Cask Tullamore Dew is very nice, much superior to the Bushmills Caribbean Cask imo

A single malt such as Irishman or Teeling would be a good one to throw into the mix

Powers Three Swallow maybe though you have RB12 for the pot still style

Then a single grain such as Kilbeggan or Teeling or Method & Madness

The Teelings are usually bottled at 46% so that will be a difference also.

And you might want to move onto Cask Strength next, a lot more expressions of that available.

All Irish whisky, obviously. There’s a variety within Irish whiskey to be had but if you want to truly branch out then try Scotch, something from each of the regions.

If I could only have two I would get something well balanced from the Highlands or Speyside and then get a good entry level Islay whisky. So for example, a Glenfarclas 12 and a Laphroaig 10, or if you want to go softer on the peat a Bunnahabhain 12 or Bowmore 12.

I suppose a bourbon is the other obvious thing to try. Buffalo Trace is the best of the affordable basic bourbons IMO. Spend more for an Eagle Rare 10 maybe.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Well my whiskey journey has come to an abrupt end. To cut a long story short I've been diagnosed with a rare sleeping disorder where my brain tells my body to stop breathing when I'm asleep. I'll be ok but alcohol in any capacity is just not safe in the circumstances.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement but I'm fairly philosophical about it too as there are much worse things I could have been told. I've had a good run and I've been lucky to have tried some great whiskey. There is a small chance I might be able to reduce the severity over time which could allow me to have an occasional dram now and again but it'll be a year or two before I'm there.

I'm going to keep my collection in the hope I may return to it one day. I'm one of those dreaded collectors now rather than a drinker!

I'll probably not be around here much anymore so wanted to explain why rather than just logging off. I've learned so much from this thread and have enjoyed the conversations, recommendations and even the disagreements. It's been fun. I'm off to check out the knitting thread 😂

Slainte lads.

@Cazale fingers crossed you come through this ok and maybe in a few years as a bonus can sample some of that awesome collection

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Cazale, that's awful. You will be severely missed!

Take care of yourself and maybe check in now and again.

John Teeling is a teetotaler!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus Cazale, sorry to read that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would still like to read your opinion if someone posted looking for advice or whatever. You've been hugely helpful to my own fledgling whiskey journey.

All the best to you.

Advertisement