Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Anyone who signed up to the Middleton barrel club, do you have any feedback on it you can share, and is there any clarity as to whether it's 5 bottles rather than 4, etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Had Powers John Lane on Saturday night for first time. Loved it! Also, the new bottles are growing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Was out for a Whiskey night on Saturday with the mates. Tried

• Jameson Black Barrel. I know its won awards but I just thought it was ok and was not keen on a caramel/almost burnt liquorice taste to it. Started drinking neat but had to go to ice.
    • Redbreast 15 - So good, nice than the 12 definitely and not as harsh. Drank neat.

One of the boys loves Scottish whisky. I tasted each one (don't have the exact vintage).

• Speyside - A light peaty smell now too bad and easy enough to taste.
    • Campbell - Peaty smell was rough, could drink a sip and tasted quite earthy
    • Islay - Could smell up a room this stuff!! Felt like I was licking turf tasting it. Won't ever be rushing to buy it.

Quite a good night though with espresso martinis later

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Speaking of coffee, I just came across this coffee blend, I don't think we'll find it this side of the atlantic so will just have to drink Slane on it's own (which I did on Saturday night, and it's slowly becoming one of my favourite Irish blended whiskeys):

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/irish-whiskey/slane-irish-whiskey-red-bay-coffee-join-forces-to-celebrate-national-irish-coffee-day/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 drawrj

You get a bottle of Jameson Distillery Edition as part of the welcome pack when you first join. After that you get a bottle every 3 months with a few 50ml samples. You also get a choice of a behind the scenes tour of the Midleton distillery or a whiskey blending class in the Jameson distillery, some nice glasses and a journal.

I signed up at the start and have so far found it good and the online tastings are enjoyable enough. The bottles so far have been Yellow Spot and M&M French Chestnut. The next couple of bottles are to be exclusives for the club, the one in March will be Johns Lane bottled at cask strength.

I think it is ok value at €500 for the year, I do plan on renewing my subscription in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Nikka Yoichi Single Malt

My first Japanese whiskey and I'm really enjoying it

Also recently received a bottle of Arran 10 which I've been enjoying too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. Meh. Nothing special. Airport whiskey for a reason!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Finished my bottle of Elijah Craig and a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 the last few days.

Elijah Craig small batch is not terribly good value compared to something like Eagle Rare 10 year old. Previously I've paid up to get the 12 year old, which is higher ABV, a little older all around, and probably is significantly better that the price I can justify to an extent. Elijah Craig ain't cheap in the U.S these days anyone, so...

Glenfarclas I have a huge soft spot for, love the family-owned nature of it, and I've had some really good single cask bottles from them. The 15 (and indeed the rest of the core range) seem to be going through a bit of a dip at the moment, they don't quite do it for me. If I was buying another sherry forward whisky in the near future I don't think I'd be going for Glenfarclas for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Nikka Coffee Grain for me tonight.

A nice sipper..finished off the night with a Dunvilles peated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheers, I'll skip it then. Seems wrong to buy nothing when there's proper duty free, maybe I'll just load up on Jameson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You can only (legally) bring the one bottle of spirits, per adult, back into Ireland from Great Britain, without having to pay Irish excise on arrival, so it might be best to see if there are decent offers in the supermarkets or elsewhere over there first.

Failing that, there is now a duty-free in Holyhead and, failing that, then the ferry itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Is there a database anywhere of dublin pub Whiskey Lists? It would be great to see which pubs typically stock which varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Anyone else get on this before it sold out? A friend got an email about it this morning, and signed me up as a present. I did a similar Bushmills tasting during one of the lockdowns that was pretty good value, and enjoyable.

https://www.irishwhiskeymagazine.com/news/latest-news/black-bush-stories-returns-with-a-virtual-whiskey-and-coffee-masterclass/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I just bought one there now. The last one was great value, I think it was 5 mini bottles of Bush, plus a bottle of hot sauce, cocktail ingredients, Bushmills glasses and a cocktail shaker.

got one there as well

hmm sold out again...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Great value, and hilariously infuriating for everyone who wasn't involved as we all posted courier updates!

The Bushmills glasses alone cost more than the event cost

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That did become a special kind of tedious, alright😜

I wasn't going to bring it up for fear of it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Going up to Belfast next week

Any deals on whiskey worth looking at

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Get your Tesco Club Card number by registering in NI, and you can use it at tills without a card. They usually have a club card price on several whiskies that would be worth buying, core range 10 and 12 year old single malts and some lower-end no age statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Sainsbury's £40 for bedbreast 12

Went back to the Púca pot still last night and enjoyed it much more as its opened up a little. The spiciness is much more obvious and there's a lovely light peppery flavour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

It's always that price, £41 in tesco.

Usually a few bottles on shelf, I assume they have more out the back, as they never appear to be out of stock in Newry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ah sorry to hear that but looking forward to the next Puca release if there is going to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Went though for me there just a few minutes ago. Try again with another card, if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Is there a way to see your order info after making the booking? I managed to book it but unfortunately I’ve had a few large ones and not sure I entered the right address, I got a bit excited and rushed through it but the email doesn’t confirm the info 😳 🥴

Advertisement