Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ah, it seems the 2019 Offerman was not Guinness finished, the 2021 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Want to introduce a friend to Redbreast and wondering if anyone has seen any tasting sets? Think a RB12, Lustau, RB16 in 3x 100ml would be perfect. Or anything similar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celtic Whiskey Shop and I think Dunnes have 3x50ml of the 12, Lustau and 15 for about €25

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

The list is endless. I wouldn't shell out €150 on a single bottle if I was starting off. I'd spend my €150 on Redbreast 12 (€60) and Green spot (€60) and Roe & Co (€30). Take it from there.

You'll be sorry you asked 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's literally the idea. It's more for the celebration of the birthday more than any investment. As most well on here know, whiskey is for drinking.

• Advertisement

Parks and Rec is brutal. Never saw the appeal.

This is exactly what you should do and likely the advice you'll receive from most on here.

That said, I'd swap out the Green Spot and get a Drumshanbo.

RB12 is a must on any shelf. Never ever run out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'd second the Roe & Co as it's great whiskey for the money. The green spot is good too. My third would be a Drumshanbo, got it as a gift last year and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I want to try it solely for the Guinness cask finish. I know it gave them loads of publicity in America but I think having Offerman editions cheapens their brand. They are around since 1816 ffs. Imagine a Mrs Browns Redbreast.

I did a tour of the Rock of Cashel before covid and the tour guide kept going on about Game of Thrones. I said it to him halfway through that it had nothing to do with anything and he said it was to appeal to the Americans. Imagine all that history being glossed over to reference some shite about dragons. Reminds me of that. The missus thinks I'm Victor Meldrew. I'd buy a bottle with him on it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just had a bottle of Fercullen 10 delivered and looking forward to trying it

• Advertisement

First up tonight is some Irish Man 17 year old Single Malt. Stunning whiskey.

Opened up my bottle of Drumshanbo inaugural release after the recommendations here. Good shout lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Looking for clarification as to which Redbreast everyone talking about. Is it the 12 Year old Cask Strength @ €93 or the 12 year old single Pot Still @€60

Also, looking for 5 tasters I could order from Celtic Whiskey ye would recommend to bring back to Sweden next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Driving gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Have tried a few different bottles. Really like Dingle, especially the cask strength offering. Cant get into Waterford no matter how I try, there’s an aftertaste I just can’t get my head around. Love the Redbreast cask strength and really enjoy the Teeling Renaissance series. The one bottle I keep coming back to is the Middleton very rare. Don’t know what it is, I just like it.

A mate of mine has that as well and I'm in a rage I never picked it up at the time. What occasion could I finagle for him to open his?

Usually when people refer to RB12 they mean the standard bottle at €60/63 or so. RB12CS is usually the shorthand for the Cask Strength which is up towards 90blips.

The RB12CS can be a bit hefty depending on your tastes and you may have to water it down a bit which may defeat the point of getting it for some.

To my mind, I'd get the RB12 and use the 30 quid saved on the CS on another bottle or samples.

The Midleton Pot Still collection box is what I'd be getting and it will give you a good view as to the different pot stills. Plus the Barry Crockett is a stupendous drop and worth the 40 euro alone.

---

I'd pick my whiskey up in the airport though if I were you. Fantastic value to be had of late.

The Drumshanbo or the Irishman? If it's the Drumshanbo message me your details and I'll post you a sample. If it's the Irishman your out of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

The RB12 Cask Strength is on sale on irish malts for €80.

Not generally an impulse buyer but when I was making my Berry Bros & Rudd purchases I threw on top a bottle of Douglas Laing’s new Epicurean lowland whisky with a white port finish.

I’m a huge white port fan, couldn’t overlook this.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thanks for the replies and links. Will buy the tasters and see if I can get the RB in the airport.

To add to the thread, I’m currently drinking the Glendalough Pot Still. Was €50 in Dunnes. Tried it near and too harsh but with an ice cube is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I got the Teeling Trinity miniature set as a christmas gift, I'd sampled the different expressions before but not in a side by side tasting.

This time around, the Single Malt comes out as my clear favourite, then a toss up between Small Batch (finished in rum casks) followed by the Single Grain (finished in red wine casks).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Another new bottle opened. A thread favourite. Enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Kind of a newcomer to whiskey only these last couple of years. Having lived and worked in SW England for a number of years at a time when basically scotch versions were the choice, so was sadly ignorant to the delights of Irish whiskey. I tried many of the scotch versions over the years but never liked their stuff, the peat smoked taste imo overwhelms at best, often cac to be blunt. If you're a dedicated and lover of smoking cigs or cigars then sure the taste will be a different mindset, but otherwise nope just don't buy into the hype or the supposed more flavours in scotch whiskey. With all things overhyped a lot of BS emperors new clothes nodding along going on, typically by same people spouting ignorance about the Irish whiskey industry being young in comparison! when the actual reality of history is the very opposite - scotch is the newcomer, having had a lucky almost unopposed run for about 80 years, but in context of centuries of the industry when it was Irish Whiskey that was wanted, considered the real stuff, both locally and globally for over 2 centuries.

How the production missed the way over tight stopper is not the greatest sign of quality control. Can be (needs to be) twisted off but, normally that would risk breaking the stopper if cork, but it appears to be plastic so twisted off and near finished now.

On reflection and as my taste for other Irish whiskey grows, think neither version of puca are very good Irish whiskey's. A few tastes on and I now agree with others that it is just a bit too sweet. The pot still is better but not that great, not that complex mainly a cloves linger, which would not be my idea of a nice taste. Much better out there, personally would not choose it over even reg Jamesons. Certainly would not be looking for another bottle of either.

There's whiskeys in this world, then there's Irish pot stills, who wear the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Redbreast 12 is just fantastic.

If I could justify the extra expense that would be my daily, but for now reserved for weekends.

Questions - comparing the RB12 cask strength and the 15.

Recently missed out on Dunnes selling the 15 for €89, I intend to try but for those who have experienced, are they superior to the 12?

From what I have read, it seems that the 15 genuinely is a whole new experience, not just extra money.

Teeling sold 1.3 million bottles last year according to an article in the independent. Selling Cooley and opening Teeling and Great Northern was a masterstroke.

Scotch is very diverse, many many distilleries produce unpeated whiskies. It’s the norm in some regions.

Glengoyne, Glenkinchie are the sort of things I would steer someone towards if they don’t want much peat.

It’s wonderful you have identified a style you enjoy, however.

Oh my . The Drumshanbo. I will get onto that presently. :) Good man.

Lucky lucky man. That was a great craic last year on here when that landed in Aldi. Loved that drop. Favourite whiskey of 2020. Barrelled through a bottle in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

It's horse for courses. I always have a bottle of RB12 on the go. I've had couple of bottles of 15, but honestly prefer the 12. I'm half-way through a bottle of CS and while I'm not generally a fan of cask strength whiskeys, the RB CS is a nice drop (I usually add water). I would get another bottle at €89.

I also have a bottle of RB 21. It's a lovely whiskey, but for me, it's not special enough to justify paying 3 times the price of a bottle of RB12.

You could also try a RB Lustau Edition. Finished in sherry casks, and is a different take on RB.

If you want to compare the different Redbreasts, you could always try the RB taster pack.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Redbreast-Family-Collection

Advertisement