Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Given the reaction that Talisker10 has gotten, I'm very much excited by what will happen after the likes of Lag16 land on the shelf later on this year.

Hopefully Isla will handle it better than her mother. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I had a bottle of the original Uigeadail ... Now there was a whisky that could drive a wife out of a whole quadrant of a house, not just a room... I think I'd like to get hold of an Octomore just to see what the reaction from the missus would be.

I'm doing dry January so now whisky drinking updates, but I have been looking for vintage whiskies for 2014 and 2016 to put away for my kids. I don't want to do Middleton as - how can I say this politely - it's incredibly overrated as a whiskey. I'm looking at a few options... Considering getting the Glenmorangie Private Editions for the relevant years, also looking at various Special Edition bottlings from Islay distilleries. Ardbeg and Laphroaig did a number of releases for the years concerned that would have the year on the bottle. I'll be paying a reasonably hefty amount for any of these options, but it's my own fault for not getting organised sooner. I'm capped what I'm going to spend at around 200 a bottle.

The other route I'm considering is Berry Bros and Rudd, they have single cask bottlings for the years concerned from Danish, Swedish and Finnish distilleries that look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

@Black Sheep - I presume you know, but just in case - the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is dated with the year, and is a lovely whisky. A quick look on wine searcher suggests you'd get both for about 400 total, albeit it's showing foreign websites so it's not that straight forward.

Yes! I am looking at Lagavulin Distillers Edition and also Talisker Distillers Edition ... Hard to find them both but it may be possible. As you allude to, I think I'm more or less limited to UK and Ireland websites for practical delivery purposes, I don't really want to try and order from the continent.

If I'd just got off my arse earlier this would have been a lot cheaper and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Drank some Midleton Very Rare 2018 today in the pub. Half to say, tasted like Celebes and creamy. Super good!!

• Advertisement

Looks like I'm going the route of Berry Bros & Rudd single cask bottlings, I can find releases for the years I need at 150 GBP a pop.

If anyone is interested, if you buy from them and ship to a UK address you pay for the whisky and the shipping is free. If you were to import to Ireland the breakdown of what the costs could be indicates that it would have costed me up to 150 GBP more :( You basically wouldn't ever import to Ireland, as a private individual, I can't see how anyone would consider it worth it, the amount that is going on shipping and in fees/taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I made a new years resolution not to buy much if any whiskey in 2022. I have hundreds of samples and over a dozen unopened full bottles along with six opened bottles. I'll work on what I have before I get anything else. Luckily I have some ridiculous whiskey to go through so it won't be too much of a chore!

I'll still do online tastings but they'll have to be interesting or rare samples. Thinking of putting €50 a month aside and using that next Christmas to buy 4-5 really good bottles to restock then.

In preparation I picked up some up some decent samples just before new year. Looking forward to trying those buffalo trace ones. Got some old Scottish whiskey too. The Port Dundas will be the oldest one I've tried so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OwlParliament

Let me know if you need a hand getting rid of some of that whiskey......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

New Year, new dynamics 😀

I'm in a similar frame of mind in that I have vowed to not buy any more until I use up some of the bottles I have.

Even thinking of then limiting the amount of bottles I allow myself to keep at a time; so like a few old reliables and then a few more expensive ones..

It is January though.. 😉

• Advertisement

My favourite peated whisky and possibly my favourite whisky full stop. First the Lagavulin 16 and now this.

To quote Teddy Roosevelt, “The light has gone out of my life”.

It's a good strategy. Like you say there is quite a bit to go yet though 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I had been nursing my bottle too. Finally finished it over Christmas. A sad day.

Along with my Bushmills 21 and Red Spot. Luckily, I got replacements of both as presents. Unfortunately, the Lagavulin still seems to be sold out everywhere.

I haven’t searched the thread- what do people think of Dingle 6?

Have to say I’m beyond disappointed- certainly not as smooth as earlier batches - is it due to how it was matured or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Currently getting to the dregs of a Glenallachie 12 bottle. Very very nice stuff, heavy sherry, possibly a small bit sweet for me but well worth checking out.

Aso have a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 on the go, absolutely love this stuff as many others do it's become my go to scotch.

Lagavulin 8 and Barabazon IV 13 yr to come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

What's the Lagavulin 8 like? Have had the 12 and of course the 16.

Lagavulin 16 is probably a better example of the 'house style' of Lagavulin and what they do well, so for me it's still the default 'best' core option.

When they offered the 8 year old it was a little bit unusual, younger Lagavulin bottlings were not unknown but much harder to come by.

The 8 is enjoyable but it's what you'd expect, a bit rougher around the edges, although still a Lagavulin so it's still relatively refined.

In general if you are a fan of Lagavulin I would say definitly try it, but personally I prefer the 16 for regular drinking, and if I'm buying something outside of that it's more likely to be a special edition or distiller's edition.

I believe the intention was the 8 was to be cheaper than the 16 but it doesn't seem to work out that way a lot of the time.

I just ordered a Bunnahabhain 12 as it happens. I bought a bottle of 18 during the summer. Wasn't keen at first, but it grew on me. The 18 was expensive, so I'm not sure I'd run out and buy another. Very interested to see what the 12 tastes like.

I also ordered a Dalmore 12. It's been one of my favourites for a long time, but getting harder to get hold of. I got a bottle of Dalmore Port Wood Reserve on the back of a Dalmore tasting back in Oct 2020. That was nice, although I didn't really think it was worth the premium over the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I'm very keen to try the 18 but it's just a bit expensive. The 12 took a little while to grow on me too actually but have been through a good few bottles of it now. Solid stuff.

Never tried Dalmore, 12 a good start point?

Yeah, the 18 was expensive alright. Definitely a "special occasion" purchase.

I'd highly recommend the Dalmore 12. If I was forced to drink only 2 whiskeys again, it would be Red Breast 12 & Dalmore 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Bunnahabhain 12 is definitely the best sherried whiskey I've ever tasted. Some of the Speysides are just too much in terms of sweetness but the Bunna has it all on the nose and then the taste has that coastal element which takes it up another level. I love it, and anyone i've ever recommended it to loves it as well. Props to the Struideair and Moine too though. Great examples of young Bunna.

It's definitely good whisky at that price point.

Speaking of Lagavulin, one of the lads I know has some Lagavulin 11-year-old finished in Guinness casks for me. Think it was a US only release. Has anybody tried it? I've heard mixed reports.

These are good shouts I have to say. I have a promise of a MVR21 and I would like a couple of other dated 21s to throw into a chest and forget about til she's 18.

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Looking for some help

I'm buying for myself, and I've never bought a decent bottle of Irish Whiskey for myself, although I do have a decent Scotch collection

The reason for that is that for years I was under the impression that Jameson was the pinnacle of Irish Whiskey, and I don't like it's harshness. Over the last while I've discovered that I really enjoy Powers Gold Label, and Three Swallows (didn't like Johns Lane!) - and only earlier this week I had a small glass of White Bush which while not offensive, the mouthfeel was very slick and oily.

I'm looking to spend about 150 - so recommendations welcome

It is. I'm not a mad fan of Parks and recreation so I don't fully get the appeal of it. Lagavulin and Guinness is a different story!

On buying bottles for putting away for kids. This is of course my own theory and I'm knocking anyone doing it. Just giving a different perspective.

My daughter is two and I was all into doing it myself. I probably posted at the time here I was gonna start a collection for her but I decided against it then. The mighty Seinfeld put me on the right track.

George (to Jerry): Well, that was a really stupid thing. You know what’s going to happen now?

Jerry: Worlds collide.

George: Yeah.

Jerry: Because this world is your sanctuary and if that world comes into contact with this world…

George: Yes. It blows up! So if you know that, why did you tell Elaine that?

Jerry: I didn’t know. Kramer just told me about the worlds.

George: You couldn’t figure out the worlds theory for yourself? It’s just common sense. Everyone knows you have to keep your worlds apart!

Jerry: Yeah, I guess I slipped up.

I had an Offerman edition bottle that wasn’t Guinness cask finished so there may be a few we are talkinh about.

A Guinness finish doesn’t appeal to me at all. Sounds so banal.

As far as a collection for the kids goes- tend to agree it’s mostly pointless as an investment or expecting them to enjoy it. It’s purely the idea of one bottle for me to open with them when they are each 18… If they don’t touch it that’s fine too :)

• Advertisement

I'd get a bottle of Redbreast 12 and a bottle of Green Spot. Both great whiskeys and a step up from what you are used to without being too challenging or expensive.

Advertisement