Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djokovic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Also as I'm sure others have commented upon on here, isn't it very convenient that he got a positive PCR test on the 16th of December. How was he planning on entering Australia if he hadn't contracted covid at that point? He hardly decided to enter the Australian Open on a whim after the 16th of December. A more cynical person might say that his team looked at all the possible ways he could get into the country unvaccinated and decided that a positive PCR was the best route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What does politics have to do with him lying on his immigration forms? Unless you believe the rich and famous should be held to a lower standard than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

It's about the public respecting and obeying the rules & guidelines, which has a major impact on public health. It's got nothing to do with Novak's diet, tennis abilities or his chances of infecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The timing was convenient alright but it doesn't mean he didn't have it. Intentionally going out and getting covid was probably the obvious thing for him to do if he wanted to play in Australia without being vaccinated (as far as he'd been told by tennis Australia).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Take covid out of it.

He lied on his Visa application about his previous countries prior to entry. Delighted for once, the laws have been applied to someone who feels they are above them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

This is great news. Fair play to the Aussies, I will raise a middy of Tooheys in their honour tonight. Cheers! 🍻 🦘 🥝

Risky though. Even if he is a moron and probably believes he could heal himself with crystals up his arse, his team would advise that contracting a respiratory disease a month out from a major tournament stands a high chance of reducing his performance.

Given the involvement of high politicians in Serbia into this issue, it's very plausible that he was issued with a fake PCR result after a quick phone call to the ministry of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well Nadal has had it recently (and was actually ill) so I'll guess we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Grasshole gets his comeuppance. A good news story - for once.

If I was Djokovic I would get the hell out of Australia now and let them carry on with their dictatorship. So much hate over something that doesn't affect 99.99% of people.

Djokovic was used as a prop in an authoritarian theatric performance of an overbearing government gone mad about a cold virus which has a current death rate lower than the annual flu. Covid hysteria and wokeness rules in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

What a complete dog and pony show from the Australian government.

Fair enough they managed to get him on an arbitrary technicality in the end. Their country, their rules.

As for the general population cheering it on. Shaking my god damn head. They ire is misdirected.

Laughing at Scott Morrison harping on at good order when he himself showed himself up as a hypocrite regarding borders:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-07/scott-morrison-criticised-sydney-trip-covid-lockdown/100439354

We will look back on this pandemic in years to come with embarrassment. Such a hysterical over reaction globally. A political football masquerading as a health crisis.

A perfectly healthy man who played there last year unvaxxed nixed at the stroke of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Sad comments on here. The vitriol is staggering. Yes people will point out that he lied on his immigration form and it is a safe kick to touch 'well what choice did they have' response.

Fine but just ask yourself if they had thrown him out anyway or his legal case had failed and he was just thrown out for being unvaccinated would your comments be any different.

We have rapidly regressed into a bunch of sanctimonious curtain twitchers looking for witches....and then ranting and burning them at the stake.

I am vaccinated and many people are but I have absolutely no issue with people who choose not to be. I entirely support them and respect their decision and would have no problem spending time with an 'anti vaxer' and have done. Entirely respect their view and bodily integrity.

This thread is just a tragic sign of the hysterical 'burn the anti vaxers'......mentality now embedded in our sad little society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

He lied on his entry form.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Where is the 99.9% figure coming from?

And your statement about flu being more deadly?

Anything I read doesn't back that up.

Even if you include pneumonia which you don't seem to be doing...covid deaths are higher.

"Data from the Office for National Statistics show that in England and Wales the number of deaths from influenza was 1598 in 2018 and 1223 in 2019.1 This is way below the annual deaths from covid-19, which at the current rate of around 800 deaths a week in England and Wales equates to more than 40 000 a year."

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Or is it the more likely story that a spoiled sports person though that he was above the entry requirements for a country.

He either conveniently caught covid or arranged for a fake positive to allow him entry, when this was not a requirement for entry into the country.

He broke his own countries covid laws

He lied on a visa application

There is enough reason here to have the visa canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Precisely, I've been arguing this point from the outset, I care less about his vaccination status or stance, he got preferential treatment, took the Pee , showed breathing arrogance, then Farage sails in to defend the indefensible. Its been a farce from start to finish and whilst those who'll defend this arrogant clown based on the whole Covid Argument, they'll, not ever, ever see that this arrogant P****K did anything wrong and I might add Australian Tennis have questions to Answer also.

Excellent result , Game, set and Match 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,747 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This has nothing to do with health and safety and rules.

it’s the usual folks clamouring to see people in positions of power and people who are very successful and talented, fail and fall.

You have said it better than I have.

The mob are delighted he got his comeuppance for being arrogant, lying on a form, thinking he is above the rules etc

But really they are delighted because he didn't get vaccinated and they want him punished for that.

It was always about him not being vaxxed as opposed to integrity of border control, public health etc.

They are annoyed he had the temerity to not do what they have chosen or been coerced into doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's hard to know where to begin with the number and depth of the ways you are wrong, so I won't.

But you are. And you know it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,215 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

people (especially australian people) have a right to be annoyed that somebody thought that being good at tennis made him special and above the rules applied to everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They have every right to be antivax but with that decision comes consequences, in this case it’s a requirement to enter the country and he doesn’t meet that. Same as any other potential traveller into Australia.

It’s folks wanting to see people on positions of power not take the piss. The Boris Johnson party thing is the exact same

I hear you Dempo, but I also ask myself this.

If he had filled in the forms in the exact same way in say 2016 would this be a big issue?

Or would it be chalked off as a clerical error by whoever filled in the form and assistance would be given to him to tidy up the paperwork.

Is it about public health, border control or is it about making an example out of a fella who is careless filling in forms.

If it is about public health he is no more dangerous this year than he was last year.

If its about border control, he's hardly coming to sponge of the state or smuggle in a load of cocaine.

If its about filling in forms incorrectly.....they have got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nonsense.

People haven't given out about other players who stayed at home and sat out the AO due to not being vaxxed as far as I can see?

People have an issue with the fact he tested positive (rather conveniently) went to events after he knew this fact, plus he lied on his form on entry...which in Australia is a serious issue. He used his money, lawyers and status to attempt to stay but it looks like it won't work.

He can of course choose not to get vaccinated but Australia has a right to set it's own conditions for entering their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nothing to show? They have had one third the number of deaths as Ireland while having 4 times the population. That's 99 deaths per million people vs Ireland's 1202.

Your nothing to show for it works out at 31,097 people still alive who wouldn't have been had they Ireland's great record. We are the ones with little to show for it and the future deaths from late cancer diagnosies and other illnesses will probably dwarf the covid deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No actually, I'm happy enough that both he and me are treated the same if we want to enter Australia. That's the bottom line and it's evidently what the Aussie people care about more, because only 77% of them have taken up vaccination after it being available for 10 months now.

I don't give a bollix that he didn't get vaccinated, he can do what he likes, however we all live in a society and there are communal consequences for individual choices, so those that choose not to have it must accept the consequences with their eyes wide open. Djokovic would face limitations on his daily life all over Europe too for choosing not to get vaccinated, so let's stop pretending that this is a uniquely Australian issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

The good thing about all this is it will backfire on Australia, the world knows what a fascist shithole it's become.

Also the people happy about it, good to know who the little medical dictators are.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,747 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They are booting him out based off a clerical error.

way OTT here. Zero common sense, and staggering pettiness.

and no surprise really.