Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djokovic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kerry_man15

"on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so"....what does this even mean?

The guy came and played last year without being vaccinated. Why can't he do the same this year? He's not a danger to people's health, Covid is spreading fast in most of Australia. If he got sick I'm sure he'd leave and be taken care of by his own medical team elsewhere so he's not going to be a burden on the taxpayer. Unvaccinated and vaccinated people are spreading this disease.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't see how. He lied on forms entering the country. That's enough to get anyone sent packing.

It's entirely of his own making. People get turned away all the time.

Great news to wake up to. Justice has been served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Absolutely!! And its Omicron we're talking about here, not Ebola or even the Delta variant. This is no more harm than a bad cold and will be looked back on as the biggest over reaction in history with economies and livelihoods destroyed over nothing (I'm not talking about original Covid in March 2020).

They have made an example of Djokovic here and its shameful. He is young, fit , healthy, not obese (like most Australians), is vegan, gets Covid tests every 2 days, does not have Covid, is No1 tennis player in the World so lives far away from the sweating masses of ordinary Joe Soaps, he is NO threat to public health ..... stand back and look at the reality of what is happening here! Australians should be out on the streets in their hundreds of thousands protesting instead of lapping up their own imprisonment.... which is at the root of all this ! Australia come across as backward, petty and bitter on the global stage, they are so out of touch with the rest of the world now and can't see it.

I have family and friends there and I pity them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fair dues to Minister Hawke.

There may have been confusion at shop floor level over this vaccine status mess and the immigration consequences, but at the end of the day the integrity of the immigration process has been upheld.

The message has gone out to Australians and to anyone who might seek to travel to Australia, that there are no exceptions to the requirements to enter the Country. Not for celebrities, not for sportsmen, not for big business.

If you lie on your immigration forms, whether deliberate or accidental, you're getting booted out and you're staying out for three years.

Looking forward to the tennis itself starting now, the mens tournament will be wide open.

I suppose Serbia will have some joy, I presume the player Novak was to play in first match will get a walk over so to speak 😁

• Advertisement

Nope, a lucky loser will get his spot (same as if he withdrew through injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing but politics here. Very disingenuous.

One of the greatest sports athletes ever trying to make history. Be gone home in three weeks, and will infect absolutely nobody.

The absolute pettiness and deviousness of the Aussies here..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Must double check the Act again, but I seem to recall that a 133C(3) decision is final and can not be appealed to any court, what is known as a privative clause decision.

If my mother has to be doubly vaccinated to get a visa to enter the Australia from Ireland then Mr. Tennis Player should be bound by the same criteria. The vast majority of the public are supportive of the (correct) decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh well poor Novax jockstrap now realises he’s no different than anyone else. You play by the rules in Aussie or you don’t play at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He lied on the form they have every right to refuse him entry. If the Australian authorities hadn't made such a hash initially he would have been out already.

He has shown himself up multiple times.

- Knowingly mixing with people when he knew he was covid positive. He didn't notify anyone after.

- Lying on his entry form. He had traveled to other countries before entry

you can even go back to his super spreader tennis tournament.

His family have done him absolutely no favours either with their bizarre rants. But hey he has Farage on his side...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Having been to Australia quite a few times (and complied with their immigration laws each time, hint, it wasn't difficult to) I don't pity anyone that lives there, it's a quite magnificent and awe inspiring Country, so in fact I envy them. Apart from the bitey stingy things obviously.

The men in power have been elected by those same people to protect the Country from unchecked migration and to apply the law equally to everyone. It's quite clear from polling in recent days that in fact this decision of Minister Hawke will be very popular and absolutely backed by the electorate.

Besides, he's a politician, he's doing it not just because it's right, but also because it's popular. It is a General Election year in the Great Southern Land after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Yes, rules should not apply to the greatest sports athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Saw that being mentioned, but now reported he's been called for interview with immigration official tomorrow. This seems like it's going to run and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Unfortunately it will be lapped up by the braying masses.

This is what modern politics is all about - placating the hysterical, mouth-breathing mobs.

All over a virus that poses absolutely negligible risk to the vast, vast majority.

The clappy-seals cheering this on should have a word with themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't have much sympathy for the guy frankly

He chooses to get unvaccinated. That's his choice. But he also knows the entry requirements to Australia

Aussies have had to live by very restricted exit and entry requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭jj880

I'll believe it when the matches are redrawn without Djokovic or hes out of Australia.

What happens if he appeals this time?Will he even bother and have this hanging over him during the tournament?

Australian government are very unpredictable and like making a big show for the public it seems. A lot of media reporting they are using this to distract from their balls up of handling Omicron. At this rate Djokovic will be wrestled off court just as he gets his first match point on Monday to cheers. Landslide re-election for Scott Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

It would be absolutely brilliant if nadal gets number 21 now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mad how the usual suspects who are normally baying for harshly enforced entry requirements and border controls are suddenly champions of free and open borders.

Nigel Farage championing Djokovic's case says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Nice post, but Aussies have been out in their 100s of thousands all summer and it has made zero difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever about vaccines or dodgy Covid certs, once he lied on the immigration form, he was done.

That's about it really

I don't know honestly but regardless an uphill battle I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

New balls please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

He gave false information on his entry forms. What choice did they have but to deport him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

No they haven't made an example of him, people lie on their immigration forms, they get the boot. This happens all the time. What they didn't do is treat him differently from all the plebs.

No harm? All those people getting hospitalised with the omicron must be exaggerating so🙄

Advertisement