Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djokovic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Presumably followed by the 3 year re-entry ban also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's pretty much automatic.

He could reapply next year and test it, but my guess is he'll boycott Australia for the remainder of his professional career in order to try and deflect from his own arrogance and dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,966 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Possibly, I'm actually surprised but delighted, didn't expect the Government to act at this late stage, nor clearly did Novak.

He has the option to appeal but the open will have started or even be finished by the time an appeal death with and I suspect that's what's driven this late decision by the Aussie Government.

Highly unlikely a second appeal will be fast tracked like his first.

Clever move by the Government actually.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would say his lawyers will challenge it presumably. His crazy family are gonna go off their rockers no doubt.

Right decision, he has seriously damaged his legacy no matter what imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this was always coming. Australia are notoriously strict on their border controls and it really looked like Djokovic was taking the piss out of them.

• Advertisement

Those lunatics will probably get on a flotilla of rubber dingys and attempt to invade Australia 😁

Novak likely to be arrested shortly, we'll soon see the true color of his fanatical fans outside the court house shortly.

I agree and it was just about timing, damned if they did, damned if they didn't cancel his Visa, clearly their priority was Australian Citizens feeling on this debacle, I suspect the scenes would have been ugly at the open, had he played

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And so ends another covid related circus.. I truly hope we reach the end game of all this sometime soon... I wonder how such stories will be viewed in ten years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Australia have really embarrassed themselves as a country over the last couple of years.

Totally lost respect for them.

Surely it would be better to imprison him there. Are we really relying on Serbia to impose a custodial sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s a bit of a Djoke

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ferpederine

Well if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Why would he be imprisoned 🤔, apart from detention before being deported 🤔 I'd be doubtful imprisonment is on the table here, just an energetic Drop kicking out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

His covid giveaway tournament last year did a lot of damage to him. This has just killed off whatever small bit of good rep he had left.

Hes an embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Good enough for him, farcical that it stretched out for so long. Why should he be any different than the rest of us!

Onwards and downwards to the next bollox distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just goes to show that having nut-job medical beliefs, coupled with being arrogant and beyond reproach, usually comes back to bite you in the arse.

This is a personal power afforded to the Minister under the Migration Act 1958, next to impossible to successfully appeal as the decision is specifically exempted from the principles of natural justice under Australian law - right or wrong is irrelevant, separation of power also likely plays a part in preventing any successful appeal, I think it's safe to say he won't be playing any tennis in Australia any time in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's a shame, I'll let the rest of the country know.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kerry_man15

I doubt this is the end of it, I'm sure his lawyers will appeal it and an injunction will be granted. Case will probably be heard next week while he plays.

Thank fook I didn’t pay for a discovery+ subscription yet 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Perhaps the end of his professional career now? Don’t see how he can go on a court again after such (deserved) humiliation

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

That's right, everyone call out for the same sanctions to be imposed on him as we have had to endure. Classic fallen angel behavior. It's the only way we can feel satisfaction now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The big question now is will he get the boot?

https://youtu.be/Pt4mwy9OBNA

Honestly that's highly, highly unlikely, sure, he's entitled to appeal but certainly not entitled to play tennis or do what he pleases during an appeal and more likely to be subject to strict detention rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if this escalates to any sponsors deciding to part ways with him. He's a hell of a player but image definitely hurt by all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Same as that.

I'm no Djokovic fan, couldnt care less about tennis and less again about himself.

But Australia have really shown themselves up as a total authoritarian shitshow in every way even before this episode. Their problem is not Djokovic but what they've done to their people with absolutely nothing to show for and now they're deflecting by scapegoating some - admittedly - arrogant little bollix.

It works too you know. People in general are easily led.

Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.

Health, good order and public interest. Haha...

I know people are sick and tired of comparing government reactions to covid to the nazi regime. And yes on most levels that comparison is totally inappropriate and its not a comparison I would have made myself. However, some country's governments have led their mob to a place where you can see the door to sinister is wide open and a lot of people willing to walk right on. Australia spearheading that and they think they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a horrible shower!!!!

• Advertisement

Pretty clear cut, they are not for turning, if they were, they'd not have bothered with this latest move. They've timed all this perfectly, if Novak appeals, the open will be underway, he knows this, Government know this and the organisers know this.

Advertisement