Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This whole cancel culture myth

Comments

Have you got empirical evidence that racism exists? If not, then I expect you to retract your statement. Holding you to your standard that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Worst thing I've seen posted on this thread is someone claiming they find Alex Jones entertaining 😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's the sort of hypocritical response I was expecting. Provide nothing and expect everything. Once you provide your objective proof, I'll provide mine. Go on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Can we agree that the "empirical evidence" bar is ridiculous then? We should be able to agree on the basic parameters of discussion hopefully.

• Advertisement

Where did I say that? Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm saying there is no scientific evidence that either of them exist as ideas. I'm not equating the two things and saying they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

OP back.

I suppose what I was getting at is the overuse, or improper use, of the term cancelling.

Someone offers a differing opinion to the hive mind nowadays & you hear that they are cancelled. Then you look into it & their circumstances are completely unaffected. If cancelling is a true weapon it lacks any real sanction in many cases, only gleams noteriety for the perpetrator & ridicule for the easily offended who get hit with the PC/snowflake/woke smeer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hive mind is also a smear. Another version of Sheeple.

It would be if you hadn't been disingenuous earlier. You can't lie about me and then expect me to take your word as gospel. Since you have provided nothing, I'm dismissing this myth as the nonsense it patently is.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

By far the biggest problem in my humble is the increasing trend of hardline partisanship on all sides. 'Cancel culture' is but one of the symptoms, as are the 'right', the 'woke', the 'fascists' the 'antifascists' and all that other imported from the US utterly retarded bollocks. It's quite evident on this very thread. A position is taken and held onto for dear fúcking life and blind tit for tat is the result.

In online and increasingly offline discussion - and I use the term loosely - anyone that makes even the slightest concession with the opposing view and tries to meet halfway(god forbid), is either seen as suspicious and/or jumped on as some admission of the guilt the true believer must see in the sinner and/or it's seen as being noncommital even traitorous to the personal cause. So we end up in a world of moronic mouthpieces mindlessly and endlessly screaming bollocks like rape culture, woke, SJW, fascists.

That's if they ever leave their echo chambers of course, which is increasingly rare too. Where the opposing sides do meet you can be damned sure that each side will be convinced that the stage on which they rant is an echo chamber of the other. That's a pretty good litmus of exposure to different ideas, because it's quite clear people flip out when they hear them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You're saying there is no scientific evidence that -racism- exists? Really?

Yep. Beyond pathetic. When all else fails, deploy whataboutery and false equivalences with a sound helping of both sides.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To me ... the meaning of cancel culture is blurred. There's like three different meanings to it (at least I think)

First is digging something up from some celebrity/public figure's old social media, old interview etc and trying to use that to get someone black balled.

Next is celeb/public figure saying something that just divides people - which is too easy to do in this world - and then those who get so offended by it try to use that to get someone black balled (Dave Chapelle comes to mind)

Last is cause and effect. That's not cancel culture. Like say I was a famous actor and I say something mad like "the nazis were right about the jews" on twitter (or whatever) that's my career gone and people turning against me. That's not cancel culture. That's me being dumb and torpedo'ing my career.

You say I "provided nothing" when you asked for "empirical evidence" that cancel culture exists. You basically ask for the impossible and then when I can't oblige you say I've "provided nothing".

Sorry but you are the one who is being disingenuous and we both know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah but I dont think you'll see him on Netflix or SNL any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is the difference between the first and second meaning apart from time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anytime I hear of something being dragged up from somebody's past, I think of Liam Gallagher's altercation with a photographer in 2001. Has this had any negative impact on him - no. Seems like some people (good looking bad boys?) are uncancellable. Even if they call someone a gay boy's f*ggot's arse kebab dick w*nker who makes Dale Winton's drawers (underpants?) look bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4JAP5Bf_Wo

I was responding to a ridiculous post asking for objective evidence or empirical evidence that cancel culture exists. I was saying that it's not possible to provide a scientific formula for something like this but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I then drew an analogy to racism. There is no scientific objective evidence that racism exists, but I think we can all agree that it does exist, right? Is there something wrong with my logic? Is there scientific evidence that racism exists that I might be missing? If so, can you provide it?

I was using your own logic against you. So what you describe there actually describes your own thought process.

Nah. It's blatant hypocrisy, let's be honest. Thanks for admitting you have no evidence. Means we can mark this as done.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

So you might prove you are the bigger person and respond to my request for objective proof that racism exists then. I'll wait.

Once you provide yours, I'll provide mine. Go on.

H. H. Asquith

I thought we'd agreed that I am an inferior human being and can't provide evidence of cancel culture. I made the point that it still exists even if you can't scientifically prove it. Similar to racism. You can't prove it exists but most reasonable people (like me) are willing to admit that it exists.

For that you conclude I have "provided nothing". I agree by your insane standards I've provided nothing.

Now I ask to hold you to your own standards and prove once and for all your superiority. And you are too scared to take that next step, because you have got nothing. Diddly squat.

There's mountains of proof that racism exists. I don't provide links to people who continually tell lies about me and back up none of their own claims when asked. I'll respond when you provide something of value instead of yet more baseless deceit but otherwise, I'm done with this.

H. H. Asquith

I've tried multiple times to try and meet you halfway and at least agree on some basic things. But each time I extend an olive branch you refuse it and cite something from a previous post as an excuse. The proof is in the thread. Just read back through it if you want "empirical evidence".

I would say we can agree to disagree, but you won't even agree with that statement probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Never mind that but they completely LIE about her opinions, they say she wants to KILL transgender people .

BBC, Guardian MSM of course won't say this, but they won't correct it either and will go along with the shunning of her.

Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Stop spreading misinformation.

Trump actually told them to peacefully march to the capital entrance, he specifically asked for non violence.

funny the way youtube removed that video ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement

You don't have to like him or agree with him to find him entertaining. I find Joe Biden entertaining in a car crash kind of way.

Advertisement