Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This whole cancel culture myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Kevin Hart has been doing very well for himself for someone who is apparently cancelled. Plus he was given an opportunity to clarify by the Oscars and said no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Charity boss fired after criticising Black Lives Matter

Nick Buckley was sacked from the organisation he founded nine years ago

According to the Mail on Sunday it started when Reece Williams, a poet who works for a mental health charity in Manchester, wrote on Mr Buckley’s LinkedIn page: “Please know that we will be doing everything in our power to have you removed from your position. Expect us.”

Days later, a petition calling for him to be fired was posted on Change.org by Karlet Manning, who also works for a mental health charity. The petition, which received just 465 signatures, claimed he had “undermine[d] the Black Lives Matter movement whilst working in a diverse community” and said his views were “inappropriate” and “insensitive”. Those signing it went further, with ‘racial equality campaigner’ Marilyn Comrie commenting that he was “a white supremacist who should not be working with BAME youth”.

The row moved to social media where his article was shared widely by left-wing campaigners. After Mr Buckley was informed via email that he had been sacked the word ‘victory’ was added to the Change.org petition page with an image of a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So to address the rather point:

Criticism is not "cancellation". Consequences of illegal behaviour is not "cancellation". "I don't want to listen to this person" isn't "cancellation". A culture of "This person hasn't done anything illegal, or unambiguously immoral, but they failed to do what I think they should do, and therefore I am going to organise a hounding of them, and anyone associated with them until they either comply or someone removes them from their employment" is cancellation.

Louis CK didn't deserve to be cancelled - he deserved jail time. He didn't get it, which is astonishing to me. The fact that people will still go and see him is also astonishing. But it's not up to me to demand that nobody should be allowed to want to buy a ticket. They simply shouldn't be able to, because he should be in jail for a long time.

Was he, bear with me now, cancelled from the Oscars? Multiple choice:

1) Yes.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

What did Louis CK do and, in your opinion, how long should his prison sentence be?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

A lot of the dismissal of "cancel culture" seems to be more focused on the inappropriate choice of name rather than denying that the phenomena is real.

Isn't cancel culture the same thing as what we used to call "dogpiling" but it also includes things like doxxing and harassment etc too?

We all know it happens. It's like trying to deny that bullying exists because in the lexicon "bullying" is called something else and you don't feel that the label fits.

Or, very much worse, people are trying to deny that it exists because they secretly agree with and enjoy witnessing the bullying but don't enjoy being called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

I spoke about the concerted attempts ! The attempts to do it

As another pointed out , someone like Rowling is hard to cancel fully. A clear and unjustified attempt was made to damage her reputation ; for what ? Speaking as a women and making factual statements that over sensitive people couldn’t handle

Rowling has her brand and followers due to decades of work. If that was a lesser known figure and more recent , they’d be finished because the publishers and her colleagues would be cowards and who fall into line

Im not an expert on literature or the quality of her work. You said “good sales” . I know that my question is probably difficult to answer for anyone but: If that campaign against her had not occurred , would the sales have been better than “good” in light of previous trends ?

A huge reason why she’s allowed on Twitter is because she’s too big to finish off and because , slowly but surely, people are beginning to see what cancel culture really is and aren’t buying it (yes, no different to the authoritarianS back in the day who censored anything no matter how tenuous )

The conduct of the mob towards her was actually criminal. She got death threats ; but hey, that’s okay, she sold more books after it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

People on the left desperately try to deny the existence of cancel culture because its orchestrated primarily by the left.

Here's an example. Cricket player Ollie Robinson was shammed, berated and forced to go on an apology tour for unearthed tweets that were offensive. He also received an 8 match ban.

Megan Rapinoe also had offensive tweets unearthed. Guess what? Nothing came of it. No left wing major news outlet touched the story. It was such a non-issue she didn't even have to address it. It had no effect on her Subway contract. The time her racist tweets came out coincided with her contract for Victoria Secret. Rapinoe is a darling of the far left therefore cancellation doesn't apply.

When Gina Carano invoked a historical moment in history to make a point she was belittled , mocked and fired by Disney.

When Colin Kapernick does the same , the far left lemmings all fall over each other to call him brave and courageous . If anybody remotely on the centre made a mockery out of slavery like he did , there'd not only be a call for cancellation , but a call for violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Was the recent one with the DCU lecturer brought up here, some Islamist type character was attributing flase quotes to the lecturer and trying to get a campaign going to get him fired. The lecturer had to come out swinging with legal to put them back in their box. You can disagree with someone and make bad arguments but dont ne a 'lil bitch trying to get people fired with faux outrage and pass me the vapours

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Neil Francis found himself cancelled last year

A pompous pr1ck but I doubt he intended to be racist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

John Cusack went from a big Hollywood star to a straight to video man after he starting criticizing Obama's drone attacks and Israel's treatment of Palestinians. The ADL tried to smear him as anti Semitic due to one tweet taken out of context. If you step out of line in Hollywood, you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just to fill in a bit more information on this, Mr Buckley's position with his charity was re-instated the next month, and the entire board of Trustees had to resign instead.

Obama's Presidency started in 2009. Not sure when this criticism was.

Looking at John Cusack's IMDB, he hasn't been in a single movie I've heard of since Adaptation in 2002, although he does seem to be in steady employment. Sounds like his A list career has been floundering since before even the invention of Twitter, let alone any Tweet he sent.

EDIT: IT seems that Cusack's "one tweet taken out of context" contained a quote by Neo-Nazi Kevin Alfred Strom, alongside an image of the Star of David crushing people. I've do doubt that he didn't intend to quote a Neo Nazi (seemingly he thought it was from everyone's favourite enlightenment writer that they've never read, Voltaire), but you can hardly be surprised that it was decried as antisemitic. A troubling lack of judgement for sure, but even that was in 2019 - again long after his A list demise, and it didn't stop him from staring in the TV show Utopia all though 2020, and another movie in 2021.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

He was in big movies after Adaptation. He was one of the main stars of Hollywood. His career suffered an initial decline when he criticized the Iraqi war and he was finished as he continued his activism. He is more an example of someone who was cancelled because of his leftist views. It's not seen as acceptable to criticize Israel in Hollywood.

He was the main star of the fifth highest grossing film worldwide in 2009. His career wasn't floundering before he started criticizing Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FFS, dry your tears. What you're effectively saying is it's only cancel culture if its people from the left doing it.

Fox News is the most widely watched US cable news channel, you know what that makes it? Main Stream News! And it covered the Megan Rapinoe tweets, so which is it, they were engaging in cancel culture, or 'cancel culture' is mostly a phrase people on the right use to try to stop others commentating about something they've said or done?

What happened to the right to Free Speech they spend a lot of their time harping on about?

Neil Francis was held accountable for making racist comments.

According to the Sun Newspaper (owned by the same lad who owns Fox News) he was sacked for 'unacceptable and racist jibe'.

Were the sun engaging in cancel culture?

• Advertisement

A statement from Neil Francis said: “During a podcast for The Left Wing recorded on Wednesday the 14th of July I made comments about the Harlequins and England out-half Marcus Smith where I stated that he had ‘a David Beckham hair style and an Oompa Loompa tan’.

“I was, I suppose making comment on how backs in particular turn out when they enter the field.

“At all stages this is what I meant by those comments.

“Marcus Smith is of English/ Filipino heritage and some of the media comments at the moment have made mention that I have racially abused the player.

“I would never intentionally or wilfully make a comment to disparage somebody on the basis of the colour of anyone’s skin. Never! The comments have been interpreted differently from what I intended and I apologise sincerely for that.

“I fully apologise for any offence taken by the player and his family. I intend to apologise directly to him shortly if he is agreeable. I also apologise to anyone who also took offence to what I said.”

#NotCancelCulture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Don't speak for me. The left don't cancel their own,that was made clear in my post.

Fox News don't have the ability to cancel people, deplatform them, or get them dropped by their sponsors.

All of the above is cancel culture.

On anorher note, fox is the only news channel that leans right. All the other major news cooperations lean heavily to the left.

Post edited by BruteStock on

Wow, too left wing for Hollywood. That’s an achievement in itself. He must make Marx look like Mussolini.

Funny how many actual top Hollywood stars, like Mark Ruffalo, Penelope Cruz, Selena Gomez and Natalie Portman can criticise Israel without it affecting their careers.

It’s strange, isn’t it? This term “cancelled” seems so definitive, so abrupt, so final. And yet almost any example given of it happening doesn’t fully stand up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wouldn't mind being cancelled if I had twenty million in the bank! lol.

Why do you think Fox don't that ability, but other stations apparently do? They led the castigation against sports starts supporting BLM. Colin Kapernick saw his career finish as a consequence of his position on that topic.

And if the left don't cancel their own, does that mean attempts weren't made to cancel JK Rowling? Because she sure is aligned with left ideals in virtually every facet of her life and I would argue that many on the left agree with her comments on women in relation to the trans subject?

I already pointed out the removal of there previously hugely popular Dixie Chicks from conservative radio stations because of comments they made about Bush, why don't you see that as cancel culture?

they were engaging in climate action , they took action based on the current climate of outrage over everything

hes an ar5e but i dont believe he set out to sound racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Fox news leans left 🤣🤣🤣

nothing new there , long predates cancel culture era , you will never see a Hollywood movie about the plight of pallestinians , any other ethnic group or historic struggle is a good bet for Oscars etc but not that one

This term “cancelled” seems so definitive, so abrupt,

the term is "cancel culture"...

• Advertisement

Paradise Now tells a story of the conflict from the perspective of two would-be suicide bombers. While not a Hollywood production, it was distributed in the US and UK by Warner Independent Pictures, did win a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar.

Advertisement