Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People have pretended to be disabled to win at sport...

That being said, its not really the point. I suspect it would be, at best, an outlier for someone to do so. But that that was not their intention does not mean that it is not the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A transphobic hate fuelled rant doesnt prove me wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Transitioning isnt just saying Im a woman though. There are medical and legal things to do in the transition process. People have done XYZ proves nothing. You cant give me any examples because there are none.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For a start for someone that claims they are not taking a position on this you do seem to argue for one particular viewpoint in this debate quite a lot. 🙄

Oh and you keep making statements that one had no changes bar a double mastectomy.

Maybe someone could argue that made her more aerodynamic in the water?

Anyway the big thing I would like to know is which one is going to be in this years Rose of Tralee.

Now I am going to run away. 🏃‍♀️ .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am sure this has being asked already but i couldn't find... what is the rules... if a person decides they are a different gender and the law allows to be legally so recognized as such.

Can this person compete in the new gender...

• Advertisement

It would depend on each countries law and the rules/regulations of each sport

Terry Pratchet

so your like me you don't know either... hopefully someone will enlighten us both...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As you know There social and medical transitions ,both are acceptable that your are now your chosen or preferred gender

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Post edited by km991148 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭greyday

Why?

There is a person that transitioned that is happy to get into a ring with a female with the intention of beating her up, the extremists think this is fair while most rationale people don't want to even consider where this could lead.

Let people be who they want to be but lets be reasonable about what they can and cant do, beating up a woman is one of those things you cannot do no matter if you transitioned to a woman or not, crazy I know but most people would agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's ok.

Nice to see that posters are not always so adamant.

If we all accepted that our positions cannot be absolute, the net would be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"The narrative being put forward is that a male body is in every way superior to a female body when it comes to sports. All sports apparently. Even when that male body has has been taking 'female' hormones it retains this superiority. Therefore someone born biologically male will always beat someone born biologically female."

That is demonstrably not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Men are tested for a variety of performance enhancing substances. Oestrogen is not considered to be performance enhancing. Otherwise, men would be tested for it. In fact, one strategy for indirect androgen (testosterone) doping has been to artificially reduce oestrogen levels, which has the effect of increasing the natural levels of testosterone. The substances which promote that are banned.

Sex testing used to be required for women athletes at the Olympics but I'm pretty sure it isn't currently.

The reason it was was because it is the female category that is protected, not the male one. It's assumed (and born out by experience) that women generally don't want to enter men's competitions, but that's not the same the other way round.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that natural hormone levels would be the way to determine sex for sport. Chromosomes are a much better, though still imperfect way. But, it would be better than the rules as they are now, bizarrely, because only a tiny number of intersex women are affected negatively by the chromosome definition, as opposed to potentially over 50% of the entire population now.

Biological males, irrespective of what they identify as or what surgeries they've undergone, should not compete with biological females - period.

Like ???

You can self declare your chosen gender there is no legal requirement unless your looking for a cert ,but there is no legal requirement to do anything

I totally agree with you but equality likely works across the board for both sexes... it be interesting to see where this goes...

Terry Pratchet

For instance here we saw a bloke enter and win a womans event in trinity ,all he did was rock up on the day and said he identified as a female to the organisers who had no choice but to allow him to enter ,

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

For instance here we saw a bloke enter and win a womans event in trinity ,all he did was rock up on the day and said he identified as a female to the organisers who had no choice but to allow him to enter ,

The fella who spends his days lamenting Putin and his anti-LGBTQ agenda...incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Yes but if show's how easy it is for dick's to take the proverbial,

If a man can just enter womens sports events just by filling in a form and self declaring their chosen gender .

In the case in this thread it's a man swimming against women in competitive swimming , where he has an advantage being men have better upper body strength , especially in arms and shoulders which is a Big advantage in a pool ,

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

What do you mean "and"?

You're gone from "nobody transitions to win sports" to "there are medical and legal things to do to transition" to "well okay but that depends on the country" to "meh, the literal example of the thing I just said there could not possibly be an example of is just areseholes".

Come on.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

They believe that no such transition is needed anyway. That just being who you are is enough.

Some decide to undergo surgery etc. Most do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Most medically transition. You can keep repeating that line about surgery to downplay a medical transition, but it won't work.

Even taking hrt is no small undertaking.

No, but you're missing the point.

You believe that a biological male who identifies as a woman - and has no surgery at all - is literally a woman, yes?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that is your belief. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That wasnt an example of anyone transitioning. Just an areshole trying to prove a point. Nobody is going to transition to win at sports.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "transitioning" though?

Don't you already believe that a biological male, without surgery, who identifies as a woman is a woman?

Advertisement