Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory vaccination in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Probably illegal in Ireland to do that but as you're at it I presume you think obese people should be charged for related hospital treatment as well as smokers?

Broke your leg playing football? Well you'll be billed for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I'm not against it in principle, but right now with this virus it's not warranted. These vaccines do not seem to slow down transmission much and ICU is pretty stable. If another virus comes along much worse than covid, and the same or worse level of anti vax stupidity remains, at a certain point it becomes necessary to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is there likely to be a pandemic of that, which overloads the health service. Irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Many of these self-described left-wingers will be in favour of all sorts of measures like the one you describe, sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Settle down Robocop, it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

I’d agree that it won’t be introduced as policy but I feel covid certs at least for the start of summer may be used so essentially if you want to do anything social you’ll need a vaccine. Mandatory in all but name but I hope I’m wrong and it doesn’t happen like that. I think with our high uptake on vaccination their should be no need. Booster at winter time yes I’ve no problem with that and I think there will be a big uptake in it Irish people in general aren’t anti vaccination.

Vaccination for travel well that’s up to other countries and I will have no bother getting vaccinated to go on holidays if that’s what other countries require.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All principles are absolute until they're tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Obesity is not a highly contagious virus for which ICU occupation is an example of the pareto principle. In the case of smokers the cost is already priced into how much they pay for tobacco.

Breaking a leg is not usually a voluntary thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This by a billion. Sadly the nutcase anti-sciencers are quick to jump on the ”Ah ME HoOmman roightz” with their heads stuck up their vaccum cleaner without realising that the paper will likely show justification for not introducing mandatory vaxs.

Although I suspect it made be made mandatory in healthcare settings and proper order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The fact you consider it "proper order" to mandate it in any setting shows how far from humanity you have fallen.

What about people who wind up in ICU every year with flu and no jab. Presume they should be charged too yeah?

Breaking a leg as a result of a choice would fall into your view of the world, unless you are trying to claim that ending up in ICU with Covid is a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see no point in mandatory vaccination, the facts for and against have been shown, let people decide the risks. The fact it still spreads after being vaccinated should worry those unvaccinated more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought we were charged for everything already. Is that not why we have insurance.

Also if someone has issues like these they already may not get priority on waiting lists and indeed often required to lose weight or such before being considered for treatment. No matter what age if someone is less viable they will be filtered. That is the reality of finite resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Why should it worry anyone? It's a threat to almost no-one.

If flu was causing whole economies to get shut down then I would say yes.

About half the population don't have any form of health insurance.

And we're talking about lemme who need hospital treatment here. Thankfully we don't turn people away those who need such treatment despite the wishes of some on here.

Covid isn't causing the economy to shut down, that's a political decision. We've had rammed hospitals and massively busy ICUs every winter for decades. People continuously forget that conveniently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I might be alone in thinking this but i dont think we should be calling these shots vaccinations.

They should be known as temporary pre-exposure preventative therapeutics or something like that.

Being called an anti-vaxer to me means that you are happy to take your chances with diseases that have successfully been all but eradicated by vaccine like Polio, measels etc etc.

If these shots were as successful at wiping out covid 19 as those vaccinations then I could accept the need for certain sections of society having to get them, but they clearly dont contain the spread while they clearly albeit temporarily reduce the effect of the virus.

Hold on a sec. The issue is with obese people taking up hospital beds where there may not be enough available. Do you think they should have to pay for treatment due to their lifestyle choices? Speak plainly.

Also, in terms of taxation: will people like myself that are vax-free be returned our tax money? After all, we’re paying for other people’s pharmaceutical products that we ourselves don’t want or need? Didn’t think so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

So at what age in your life did you stop caring about the safety and care of those about you?

Who I am kidding. You can’t answer that question.

Unfathomable that you think underhanded emotional-blackmail tactics like this still work. The world has moved on and you will have to move on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Have health insurance premiums increased for unvaccinated people?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Is this for a Covid related illness - covid pneumonia or covid kidney disease/liver. It is an interesting concept to get people to think about their own personal responsibility to health in general. Not overly keen on mandatory covid vaccination, speaking as someone who has has had jabs, plus booster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

No, we aren’t living in a hitler state just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

Why stop with unvaccinated covid patients?

Surely the logical conclusion there is anyone in hospital through their own actions or recklessness etc should be billed the full amount for their stay?

If someone doesn't get vaccinated because they believe that the government and large corporations are untrustworthy and so they do not trust the government programs or the corporations products would there be some responsibility on the governments and corporations to meet some kind of trustworthiness requirement before individuals could be held accountable?

I really hope the counter argument to that isn't that our government and our pharmaceutical companies are completely 100% trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sekiro

We have 92% of people over the age of 12 vaccinated at this point. That fact that mandatory vaccination is even being discussed with such a high uptake already is troubling.

I would want to know about all the different kinds of people who are not vaccinated and their reasons before deciding on some kind of punishment or method of coercion designed to basically force them to be vaccinated.

Unless, what's really going to happen is that the need for boosters is going to be far more frequent than we are imagining and a lot of people are going to draw the line at, for example, quarterly boosters and uptake will wane.

In terms of being principled I would say you have two pretty obvious ends of the spectrum here when it comes to covid vaccines. At one end you've got the people who think that nobody should ever get them ever. At the other end you've got people who think we should forcibly inject a vaccine into the arm of anyone who refuses.

Most normal people will be somewhere in the middle. Probably in the range of "it's OK for people to make their own decisions" and "people should be encouraged to take a vaccine but not coerced and certainly not forced".

What troubles me is that we never really had a period during this where people were incentivized to get a vaccine. Before the vaccines had even been properly rolled out people were talking about how we might "convince" people who would refuse them.

I booked my appointment to get vaccinated on the same day that my age group was allowed to book. Yet before I had even booked I had work colleagues in calls and emails going on about how people who won't vaccinate shouldn't be allowed to work or go to the supermarket or use public transport or use healthcare and welfare services. I couldn't even book an appointment to get a vaccine yet and people were already fantasizing about how "anti-vaxxers" should be treated. It's disturbing.

Talking about vaccine mandates when we probably only have about 300k people across the entire country unvaccinated right now is a bit troubling to be honest. Feels a bit like a message to people who already have two or three doses to let them know that now they are locked in they better keep getting the boosters or else.

• Advertisement

No-one is afraid of it. We are just exercising our rights.

Advertisement