Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory vaccination in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

NPHET are attempting to restore their reputatation after the unforeseen disaster of accidentally getting their case projections right.

I am 100% against mandatory vaccination.

We've already gone down some bad roads in the response to covid and this would be a very bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

NPHET have really become such a monster.

Their remit was to advise government on the Covid situation.

Not discuss this type of thing

Mandatory 3 monthly vaccinations??? Piss off

And that's from someone who is currently considered "vaccinated"

A step way too far. No way should we introduce mandatory vaccinations for this. It goes against all our rights. Right to bodily integrity, right to privacy etc.

at the moment they are forcing people by stealth to get the vaccine. That's far enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

i don’t see this one happening but I can’t say I’m for it either. Have no fear of the vaccines, but at the same time I don’t we should force people to get them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I'm vaccinated by choice. No way should it be mandatory, as we see can see how crazy the paranoid anti-everything brigade are already, so could only imagine how they would lose the plot altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Triple vaxxed myself but I cannot see how mandatory vaccinations could ever be accepted in this country. Not that long ago we had a referendum that focused on a person's bodily integrity. My body my choice works for more than 1 issue.

Anyone who marched and supported pro choice arguments in the abortion referendum would be a hypocrite if the were now to support mandatory vaccination. I would go further tbh and encourage the govt to condemn countries like Austria who try to bring this in.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Anybody who still thinks this is about public health is not the full shilling.

Oh but they're "public health experts" and we should listen to them because they're "public health experts".

The same "public health experts" who have had covid tunnel vision for the past two years causing untold damage to people's health. Missed diagnosises, delayed treatments and cancelled elective surgery. Not to mention the serious mental health impact which we haven't seen the worst of yet.

They were great for doing predictive models of how many would die from covid. I would have liked to see some models for how many would die from the response to covid by missing diagnosises, delayed treatment or committing suicide.

The response to covid was worse than covid itself but sure, let's keep following what the "public health experts" tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

Guys - cycling gloves is a brand new, obviously troll account. Just report and ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I doubt it will ever happen. I think they probably have to discuss it because other countries are looking at it. Probably just a kite.

Has any vaccine ever been mandatory before in Ireland ?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It’ll never happen in Ireland as we don’t have a national identity scheme and the privacy rules.

Its sad really. The human right to choice trumps the right to live and the right to protect the most vulnerable in society. Something that is covered by the human rights charter.

I guess most people are only interested in human rights if it effects them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I will use any level of force necessary to prevent the infringement of my bodily rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there a constitutional case in it a la the Ryan flouridation case based on bodily integrity ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Singapore has the right idea. Unvaccinated Covid patients get billed for their hospital stay.

Hopefully totalitarian bio-security police state measures like this will force more people, regardless of vaccination status, to march together in solidarity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If this were to come about, and I wouldn't say for sure it would be deemed necessary, you'd expect it'll be "mandatory" in the sense of extending the existing vaccine mandate, as opposed to the totally unrealistic prospect of prosecuting the vaccinated or using any level of force.

So all it could mean is that all forms of public places such as workplaces and schools will require vaccination to enter.

Mrs Ryan actually lost that case, but the court did acknowledge the right to bodily integrity, it just didn't set a precedent.

There no way this will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a clickbait headline. Mandatory vaccination is not on NPHETs active agenda or roadmap.

And whatever justification for it may have existed with Delta has been completely removed with Omicron.

• Advertisement

There was never justification, nor could there ever be.

It's a good idea when vaccine uptake percentages are on the decline.

We got enough leeway to get above 90% voluntarily.

It's time for the government to take us the rest of the way home.

The bar for mandatory vaccine is high, but it's there. By stating that something can never be justified, you're basically saying that you would rather people die preventable deaths than violate a principle.

That's fine for you, if you would rather die than violate your principles than that's your call. A state cannot take the same approach.

“So all it could mean is that all forms of public places such as workplaces and schools will require vaccination to enter”

Grand so. Not really mandatory at all.

He didn’t say it could never be justified though. He said the justification in terms of the history of this particular illness has never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Michael and Leo would have to personally perform the vaccinations.

Principles are absolute. Otherwise they're not principles, but merely tactics. It's the anti-Republican Provisional Movement who cannot understand principles, and it's why they're awful people.

That's not the case either though. If vaccination uptake was low and Delta remained dominant there would have absolutely been justification for it.

Bull-headed refusal to even discuss a measure is pure ignorance. A wilful desire to put emotion above facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Imagine a woman who has a baby which is disabled, despite being advised of the issue before birth and offered an abortion.

Should she be billed for the child's medical care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 terrytrap

I am surprised by the situation how people are afraid of compulsory vaccination. I think that everything is not so scary as many people think.

Advertisement