Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed race couples on tv ads **Mod Warning in Post #556**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Were there any black people in Irish made TV commercials even ten years ago? That was serious underrepresentation.

Also, black people as a percentage of the under 30s or under 40s in Ireland (the age group most likely to feature in TV commercials) would be much higher than 2% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I really don't think it's that deep.

It's a lazy way that companies think they can show how progressive they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Could be and I hope you are right. Either way I appreciate your positive spin on this :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Was scoring virtue points a thing by drastically overrepresenting a tiny minority of our population a thing 10 years ago?

Again, to put this into really simple perspective - for every 100 people seen on television ads, 2 of them should be black, if we are concerned about fairness. Was that criteria met 10 years ago? Almost certainly it was.

Again, quite odd that we don't see too many Asians, Travellers, Eastern Europeans or Wheelchair users (just under 1 percent, so almost as many wheelchair users as black people).

Black people are the only game in town when it comes to showcasing diversity and representation. No other minority matters in modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Frankly its a bit of a shocker to see that somehow that race matters when people are being represented on the TV. In between accusations of PC, Virtue signalling, accusations of pre conditioning...can we not accept that there are humans on TV regardless of ethnicity. Society does not function on the basis that we are one homogenous culture. Ireland has a culture comprised of Norman, Viking, Celtic, British and lately American and European influences. These have formed a confluence. Culture does not remain static yet is a constant state of flux. Throwing out the accusations of being PC and oft over simplified concepts of race mirror a population frightened at changes that happen when they dont even normally notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What are the demographics for the under 30s? Many black people only moved here in the last 15-20 years or so and a large number of black people (either migrants or Irish born) you see in our communities are young people. Guess what....it's this much larger cohort of younger people from ethnic minorities who are showing up in the TV ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I really couldn't care less about the skin colour of people in TV advertising however;

• The motivation for utilizing non white people in television advertising in predominantly white countries is to appear to be inclusive, in turn the reasoning for appearing to be inclusive is for organizations to be able to point to their inclusive advertising as evidence of their benevolent nature in any number of potential situations that may have the potential to be damaging to their reputation.
    • The potential damage that can be caused to persons or organizations by accusations of racism in modern western society is immense. By throwing a few token faces of different colours into advertising organizations feel they are immunizing themselves against that eventuality.
    • The representation of mixed race families in advertising in Ireland isn't representative of reality, but advertising has always been about lying to suit an agenda, these days the agenda is "don't leave yourself open to accusations of racism". Advertising is just as insincere as it has always been, the focus has just changed slightly.
    • The one thing I do miss in television advertising is genuinely funny or inventive advertisements. There used to be some well thought out and funny TV ad's in days gone by. Now everyone is too afraid of causing offense and or trying to crowbar in enough diversity into their ad's, the genuine creativity seems to have been sacrificed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Everybody should get on with everybody else all of the time.

Life's not like that though, is it?

Not at the best of times at least.

The problem I have with this is the people that are driving it.

They just ram through their opinions and their actions and fcuck anybody who disagrees with them.

If you do, you are a Racist, a Homophobe, woman hater or whatever else label they can throw at you.

Liberals are very tolerant people.............untill you disagree with them.

Race really thought is a social construct at the end of it , without meaning to sound like a third year sociology student on their high horse. World does not operate on the said aforementioned basis (indeed how wonderful would it be if we did) . Pre conceived notions implied by others drive differences, albeit not as bad as Victorian times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I don’t know any mixed race couples and I’m not “sheltered” or whatever rubbish dotsman was spouting above.

We just don’t know them because we haven’t crossed paths.

Anyway as others have said above it is standard advertising these days. In catalogues too. Never been influenced to buy anything from these adverts the same as I’ve never been influenced by other adverts.

Except for alcohol. Those are adverts that have tempted me though me know from experience that I don’t like booze because they used to be good and funny.

Minimal Unit Pricing put it out of reach

Seriously - racial stratification implies some sort of differences when there are none really...

Whatever you are on, you have a clear grasp of waffle.

This country needs more people like you.....

to emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason it was the opposite for many years previously is because we were pretty much a completely white country.

And diversity is important to harmonise relations between races. Agree with you 100% on your point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't really mind it. Think about it from the perspective of those who come from different ethnic backgrounds. At least they getting opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL

Poster called Dellybelly complains about "mixed race" couples on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Posters putting up random percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would love to know how "diverse" their marketing and advertising departments are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

If I was a young black lad/lady I’d definitely get into television acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The OP didn't say they don't know any mixed race couples. Read their post again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

And correct me if I'm wrong, if you look at the demographic stats of Ireland there are less black people here than Asian people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Is there an overrepresentation of mixed race couples in advertising? Yes

Is that a symptom of the times/virtue signalling? Yes

Is it hypocritical cos really companies/advertisiers dont give a fvck its just the done thing due to above? Yes

It is a symptom of the times where everything is laced with 'educational' message? Yes

Am I getting fed up with this kind of 'education'? Yes

Is it a bad thing in this instance? No.

What harm is it normalising something that no one should bat an eyelid over in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

From my experience in England, its, by far, mostly white women and black/ Asian/Chinese men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s nothing to do with that. It’s simply virtue signalling along with a fear of being called racist if they do too many white only ads. There is no conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your experience is valuable, but likely to be far too small a sample to be instructive. The Census is where more reliable information is available, but it goes back to 2011. The next Census in the UK was March 2021, so I don't see any figures online for that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/marriagecohabitationandcivilpartnerships/articles/whatdoesthe2011censustellusaboutinterethnicrelationships/2014-07-03#differences-between-men-and-women-in-inter-ethnic-relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh I know, it's based on the few ethnic people I knew. A sample size of about 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This thought did occur to me - well before I saw this thread. Many of the Covid advisory ads seem to feature non whites or mixed race people prominently. Other recent ads include one where a couple are moving the man's elderly mother into their house and the "nice one" ad for bottled water where the girl misses her bus.

I'd have no issue with this if it was happening naturally/blindly but we all know it isn't. Ad agency is engaged to produce an ad and you can be sure that virtue signalling is a priority.

Public money is being used to produce the Covid ads. If you are a white actor are you disadvantaged and discriminated against?

I suppose it balances out for actors given that if an ad agency needs someone to play the part of an idiot or useless gobsh*te, white males are the first port of call. E.g. the series of ads for Currys PC World with the total idiot eating frozen peas and cooking the dinner using a barbeque. Not a chance that a black man would have been hired for that.

Advertisement