Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed race couples on tv ads **Mod Warning in Post #556**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I wouldn't want to marry a pygmie or indeed a 7footer . I married an nice old fashioned 5'11 ins traditional irish man with a few hundred years of irish heritage and white as snow, pasty, burns in the sun and gets freckles type. Thats what my father was and thats what my husband is &thats what i would like for my daughter why would any one object to me wanting that and want that reflected in advertising so my child sees it and aspires to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If he can trace his ancestry back a few hundred years, his line is probably nobility. He could be related to an English king (him and a few million more).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The big advantage of this casting approach is knowing how many lads on Boards.ie get irritated by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Jesus the ignorant generalisation on you is embarrassing!!

Black = African

African = 7ft tall

🤦‍♂️

So you want your daughter to stick to her own ‘kind’ in other words! You know it’s 2021 not 1921 right! 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement

Yeah but as long as he’s white like! This is what Mary’s getting at.

The family dynamic in these ads is irrelevant.

The whole purpose is for people to see someone like themselves being represented.

These are 30-second adverts, not drama series with detailed backstories.

Problems with this:

# Over representation of other races (mainly black)

# Over representation of mixed-raced couples (almost invariably white + black)

#Age range of some of the 'mixed race' couples involved, especially the late middle age/old age ones... fair enough if they're just an old couple, without necessarily having any kids together; yet they almost always have an extended family in the home where the ad takes place.. 'multiculturalism' isn't here long enough for there to be many black/white couples in their 60s+ , that have kids together. Yet we see the mixed race grandkids knocking about..

#Possibly Definitely the most annoying one of all: Don't think I've ever seen an advertisement where the 'mixed race' couple are comprised of any combination of black/Asian(orientals)/Indian Subcontinent (normally referred to as 'Asians' - 'Desis' [whatever that means] probably more appropriate) ethnic/racial variants.

On the last one, I guess they don't want to cause anyone (anyone that aint white, that is) any 'offence' ... a lot of the 'Asian' natives are inherently racist by dint of their 'culture' ie the 'Caste System'...

One take on this - Most other cultures/races; if they do have a problem with marriage outside of their own ethnic grouping, it does seem that it's less of a one, if whitey is in the mix.

Yes i want ceili dancing fiddle playing white grand children who embrace their irish heritage and teach their children the old irish songs and music thats all, is it too much to ask, why is it wrong its what most of your own mothers want for you but dare not say it.......in case they are vilified and attacked Asians mostly want the same for their children hence the arranged marriages which avoids these issues altogether with out comment so no one can call them racist for wanting to keep the family lines pure Asian.

Ah so it’s not about what your daughter wants but what YOU want.

And the old excuse for casual racism - it’s what ‘most’ other people ‘like me’ want but dare not say it!! Or……they just don’t think like yourself!

The fact you’re championing arranged marriages to backup your views says it all! I suppose you’re alright with the associated ‘honour killings’ that go along with that way of thinking too yes?

As I said, it’s 2021 not 1921!! Maybe just hope for your daughter being happy?

• Advertisement

Shes very happy she got a new pony for Xmas thanks for asking though. I do always strive to make sure she is happy & mother knows best. I dont like the honour killings my point was they disguise their racism by having the arranged marriages so their daughters dont marry western or sub saharan men.

How is an arranged marriage HIDING racism? It’s literally IS racism! In exactly the same way what you’ve said is!

You seem to have a very backward view on the world in 2021! Thankfully time will lower the percentage of those who think like you.

EDIT: actually I’m starting to think you’re a troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Is that the Bank of Ireland ad where they con the ouldear out her house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Where are you getting the 5ft 11 for men. I think it’s more like 5 9 or 5 10 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭standardg60

She's been bounced off to the old folks home already, no sign of her now

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

@mary 2021 - You do know that the caste system was effectively outlawed in India since 1948 (according to Wikipedia), and arranged marriages are overwhelmingly looked at in a negative light in all Indian cinema and culture nowadays?

India has a very long way to go, but at least they’re on the right track.

And incidentally, the caste system only became hereditary around the time Indian culture went into decline - it wasn’t like that “since time immemorial” as it’s commonly projected to be from. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India - it’s a backwards exclusionist step which no expanding empire or economy can take successfully without also leading to decline in the long run.

Hope you checked out that pony's heritage Mary, lest your daughter be ridin' anything inferior

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HazeDoll

We report posts that are flying a flag for racial purity, don't we?

Don't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Butson

Chill out.

TV ads in Nigeria etc feature loads of white people....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think it's really clear that the poster is a troll tbh

• Advertisement

But ‘most other people like her’ agree with Mary according to herself!

Also, pretty sure we’re feeding a troll.

Post edited by HalfAndHalf on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah hold on now, they need to get a few years free child minding services out of granny to make sure they can cover the BOI mortgage comfortably, before then packing her off to the home, with no Fair Deal scheme taking a slice of the house to worry about.

How can you tell that the posts you find objectionable aren't already reported...??

You're a member of the community here. Fire away yourself and 'report' .. If the term aint already in use, imma call it 'dry moderation'

PS Who's advocating, or 'flying any kind of flag' for 'racial purity' ? Or can you even point to one single example of same.. Unless you're on about a particular poster; well that's between her and her daughter, if that's the case; and she's entitled to advise her however she likes..

Isn't calling someone a troll against the rules too.. (out of curiosity)You have a problem with that..?? I don't.. I think their posts are both entertaining, and also a reflection on what most Irish folk think.. I would have thought that the average female height was closer to 5' 5 than 5' 2 myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Really? Is this your experience from living in Nigeria.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Basically when did Caucasians become extinct from TV advertising?

Why is it mandatory for advertisers to show every race except the local indigenous race on the island of Ireland.

You've clearly missed the sarcasm of the ‘reporting’ post and gone off on a rant there.

So what do you call comments of ‘many like her’ wanting her daughter to marry a white Irish man like she did and like her father was in a thread talking about mixed ethnicity relationships? And advocating arranged marriages as the way to go as anti racist.

The particular poster has posted in a way as to give little doubt their thoughts on interracial relationships based on nothing other than the other persons race being detrimental.

Additionally that all black people are African, 7ft tall ‘have you seen THEIR basketball players’

I’m pretty sure that’s along the lines of advocating racial purity amongst other hints.

And you find it entertaining! You can keep me out of your ‘most Irish think that way rhetoric’ thanks!

As for calling someone a troll, it’s been done countless time here and even posts warning people by mods to need entertain the troll.

Where are these adverts with no Irish indigenous people you speak of?

Come to think of it, the Guinness ad featuring the 'zappers' didn't have a single token white person. Now there's a company that sticks to reality in it's advertising

You've clearly missed the sarcasm of the ‘reporting’ post and gone off on a rant there

'Sarcasm' - What sarcasm? I don't know their stance on the issue.. Only has about 23 posts, so can only assume they want to report posts they don't like.

So what do you call comments of ‘many like her’ wanting her daughter to marry a white Irish man like she did and like her father was in a thread talking about mixed ethnicity relationships? And advocating arranged marriages as the way to go as anti racist.

Personal preference is my opinion on the first sentence.. Missed the bit about anyone on here advocating arranged marriages.. Saw a post saying other cultures have arranged marriages.. So take that point up with any Asians you know that concern themselves with the business of whom their son/daughter marries..

I’m pretty sure that’s along the lines of advocating racial purity.

Saying what goes on in other Countries/with other cultures, is not 'advocating' anything 😫

As for calling someone a troll, it’s been done countless time here and even posts warning people by mods to need entertain the troll.

Doesn't make it right though.. Up to the mods to see if it's a 're-reg' , or someone who already has an account, or whatever else it is that would deem a poster a troll..

• Advertisement

thanks for all the responses lads it was very entertaining and a good lesson in how the youth are thinking these days. Good to have the heads up and be prepared for the future if my daughter does not marry a nice irish lad she wont get her in heritence she is an only child and its a nice bit of land and an old house, i reckon she will play the game since houses are so hard to get for young people these days !!

Advertisement