Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed race couples on tv ads **Mod Warning in Post #556**

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

There’s no problem of course with having mixed race couples in advertising!

Or there shouldn’t be !!

The couple in the Snickers ad playing the board game though - they offend me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Effectively these corporations were not so much aligning with left-wing movements as they were subverting them, by pushing them away from economic leftist concerns around economic inequality, wage parity etc. towards social chaos-type leftism where arguments over social reality dominate all other concerns.

Occupy Wall Street appeared around 2011.

The New York Times (which is the most influential newspaper in the world) began pushing “transgenderism” heavily in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Advertising is not a depiction of real life. It's sole purpose is to maximise profits for the company paying for the advertising.

Every car ad shows the car on open roads & uncongested city scapes.

Every alcohol ad shows beautiful people consuming their product. It's never a fat fella stretched on a couch.

If their is an over representation of mixed race couples in ads, it is because it is financially beneficial for the companies paying for the advert.

Edit: as I typed, a TV and for Dominos Pizza came on - no sign of anyone obese!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

You are wrong in practice.

Senior management and advertising executives do not act to maximise the company's profits in all cases.

They just as often use these companies as vehicles for their own careers - and as part of that careerism seek rewards for their social and political conformity. These rewards are usually granted in an increasingly corporatist system.

So that when a failed corporation is broken up for assets, which are moved around to similar corporations, the CEO is not ruined but appointed to a new role on the CEO circuit.

Failed advertising campaigns like Gilette and Bud Light result in opposition to the point of triggering boycotts.

Effectively advertising departments are quasi-autonomous and respond to feedback from the liberal-social propaganda bubble. They are not just arms of unthinking money machines.

What would advertising be like if advertising departments were solely focused on reveune?

Apolitical and culturally neutral, as they were in the past.

A company in which revenue maximisation was the only real goal wouldn't go within 10,000 miles of divisive political and cultural issues.

That boycotts are now seemingly routine should be enough to show that this is not the A to B business environment described in your Leaving Cert Business textbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are loads of failed marketing campaigns, that have nothing to do with Woke everything is not about Woke.

I have relatives on my husband's side in the UK they are a mixed-race family it's common, and nobody thinks anything of it, it's unremarkable.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd say it's pretty weird to want your child to aspire to marrying a white guy.... Like personally speaking, I'd prefer for my child to just marry a good person that they have chemistry with. Don't care what race or gender they are. The fact it seems to be a factor for that poster isn't a great reflection of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i like that it annoys certain types, but at the end of the day if it makes generations grow up to not bat an eyelid at mixed race couples because it has always been normal to them on TV and elsewhere, then what's the problem? i would imagine going forward mixed race relationships will be far more prevalent in ireland too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

It's a problem because it's woke. Whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement
Advertisement