Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

• 08-01-2022 9:08pm

As a person in their early 30's the Irish government just keep pissing me off and off.

They can set minimun price of alcohol but not rents.

Petrol and Diesel prices are at all time high but sure we'll give you a 100 euro voucher off your electric and that will make up for it. For one litre of fuel at 1.70 the government make a euro.

Housing crisis - Lets not kid ourselves, after the recession the government want house prices to go back to Celtic prices. People who were born early in 80's and 90's are screwed.

Health care in the country is a complete and utter joke and looks like there is no sign of improvement whatsoever.

Our capital in Dublin is one of the ugliest capitals in Europe. There is feck all to do in Ireland except the pub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If it was a simple thing to do I’d certainly consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m gonna retire abroad in 10 years, 4 months and 4 days! But I’m not counting down the days or anything…….. 🤪🤪

By that time I’ll have paid enough tax over my lifetime to enjoy drawing down the Irish pension in a place where it is affordable to live! I don’t know where that it yet, warm and sunny are my two requisite’s!!

Should be out of here this year. Sick of the weather, the lack of possibilities, how little there is to do, how few people there are, **** services I'm paying a fortune for, all that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

If I was in my 20's I'd definitely consider it. Ireland with the current government is such a miserable conservative place for young people.

Ya.

• Advertisement

Conservative? With massive wasteful public spending and some of the highest rates of immigration/foreign-born population in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭growleaves

Comparing 2019 living standards to today I'd be considering it yeah. In the UK and many parts of Europe you can live mostly-normally but in Ireland you just can't and this set-up is already semi-permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, I have been planning to do so for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

You mean a maximum price of rent right? The last thing I'd want are those Landlords pushing 2K minimum on some shoddy housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One of the main parties supports landlords, the other supports builders, you just can't win really, entire system needs a complete clear out.

• Advertisement

In 8 years I shall be retired, I'll be off overseas for most of the year then

Although I don't agree that there is nothing to do in Ireland except the pub, there are many things to do and many places to go. You just need to open your mind a bit OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am tempted alright but don't know where to go. The last place I visited people were paid €3.50 an hour and there were almost no jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

E2100 to rent a 3bed townhouse in Balbriggan nowadays. Ireland ain't no place for the working man. After this year the gloss goes off Ireland for multinationals, reduced corporation tax etc - it may get messy fast. Mid 20s no ties I'd be gone, mid 40's with sprogs so I'll be sticking around!

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-28-bremore-pastures-drive-balbriggan-co-dublin/3656726

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm considering moving to Spain with my wife and children but it's quite complicated with the little ones obviously. We've both been told by our Irish Tech companies that we can log in from anywhere in the EU and keep our Irish salaries. If we sold our house here we could buy a similar house in Spain with a next to nothing mortgage. I just don't like Dublin's trajectory at the moment. I can't get on the luas without feral kids throwing stones or being a general nuisance to whatever vulnerable person is waiting around. And when I went out in town for the first time during Christmas it felt really tense with a lot of people acting aggressively. Not for me or my kids long term.

Contrast with Spain where we've spent a lot of time in the past 3 years and it was very nice. Seems to be a completely different culture. Obviously I wouldn't go near the likes of Benidorm but the proper Spanish towns are really nice. We'll wait until after the pandemic to decide though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jesus... fifteen posts in and no one's defended the place... This is serious.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Would that be a contractor conversion?

Just worth being careful, if you want to be processed on Irish payroll you have to be resident in Ireland. If they have a presence elsewhere then it can be worked that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would depend on what part of Spain. Stcik to a city with some ex-pats so you don't feel isolated, meet up with locals as much as possible and give it a week of decent weather and you'll be glad you did it

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Yes, keep voting in as many left wing politicians you can. That will fix it.

Sinn Fein, PBP, Social democrats, Greens - all beacons of hope for us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I won’t be emigrating at this hour of my life, but I can see it’s a hard time for younger people here.

The housing market is a massive issue, it’s got so bad now that I think younger people have no option but to vote SF, despite the IRA links, rather than give any tacit endorsement to FF and FG.

As a country we kinda lost our way, became too right wing economically. I do think there’s a huge appetite for change though, and we’ll have different problems in another 10 years.

I think very little was learned from the last economic collapse. The State didn’t take a bigger role the housing which it needed to. We are just as dependent on US investment as ever, there’s still a huge public/private sector divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Yes, give it a go. Brave decision but you have more time than you think and returning in years to come, having had new experiences away, can be as rewarding as the leaving. 

The Irish govmt agenda has been to convince young people that the only important thing was the luxury of being seen to be socially progressive rather than the mundane essentials of life i.e. job, home, family. (Sickeningly there's also been constant conversation about how we used to be a racist sh*t-hole of a country. The “we” here equals your parents/grandparents!) As a visual metaphor for this policy, I see our recent Taoiseach, during an Irish lockdown, picking his nose in an english field at an S Club 7 concert.

Too right wing?

Jesus Christ but wake up. We have high tax and high spending. We have a system where someone working minimum wage won't make as much as the average rental prices in most areas.

I'm on the average wage and if I were to have a kid right now I'd be better off not working. That's how bad things have gotten because there's a large underclass who apparently must be "looked after" at all costs. Sinn Fein won't be doing anything about cutting or diverting the funds that flow in that direction, if anything they'll do the opposite.

Right wing my arse. Paying 50+% marginal deductions from your income at a level that's already low enough that many would be better off not working is right wing now? Spending more on health per person than the Brits with their fully nationalised healthcare system (yes, not for much longer as the Tories keep running it down) doesn't seem very right wing. Fast tracking and guaranteeing own door accommodation for every sob story that shows up doesn't seem very right wing.

etc.

Some right-wing thought and avoiding the rent subsidies they've put in place and we wouldn't have the kind of rent prices we have now.

We have 2nd highest rate of low pay in the oecd....

the reason the taxes are so high,is because we concentrated on creating jobs that arent worth having.....you'll not get blood from a turnip,nor extra tax from those with near zero disposable income

we hollowed out the effectivness of unions,driving down wages/conditions and are now having to subsidise **** pay with social welfare budget of HAP etc

Im over 30,everyone in my friendgroup,not married/kids/tied here with a mortgage are actively putting planning on emigrating again.....they'll not be back,almost all regret returning home,

They simply cant make a life/put down roots here vs overseas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I guess the pull of family is a thing for me and also I have some medical needs that I would need to do a lot of research on before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I would be gone to the states if it was easy. I hate this country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭amacca

They seem to be doing everything they can to drive private landlords out if the market afaic

Now if you said supports large institutional type landlords wanting to make a paper profit for the pension funds then yes maybe that's something to consider as a possibility

I personally think they do seem to want to constrict supply and availability to keep prices as high as you couldn't be that incompetent to keep making decisions that will result in that by accident.

Got a link to the OECD stats? Accepting we have a lot of low-pay we also have a higher level of non-employment than most places. And the state subsidises the lower earners up to and above the level middle earners will get. That's not right-wing, it's **** stupid.

I'm similar to yourself, there's nothing except my parents (who are old alas) left for me here. Hoping to move to America (save learning a new language) and running the numbers on a similar job to what I have I could have a much, much nicer place, a much nicer car and get the most comprehensive health insurance and still save thousands a year compared to here.

The health insurance thing is pretty funny, quick back of the envelope calculation and just out of my monthly pay about €300 is taken out of my pay to fund the state healthcare then add what the company pays for health insurance plus the tax I've to pay on that and it's about €500 a month total. Plus whatever comes out of the VAT and duties I pay. And still I've to pay to see a doctor or a physio or a dentist on top of that. Well, if it was possible to actually see a doctor. My sister hadn't been to the doctor in our home town in a good while, went to go last year and was told she'd been removed from the books. Took weeks in a large town (in Irish terms) to find someone who would take €60 for a 2 minute appointment.

There are problems everywhere but I'd like to be somewhere that if I see something awful the thought is "That's terrible" rather than "That's terrible and **** knows how much money is being taken out of my pocket and pissed away on it".

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It's easy blame someone else for your own bad decisions I suppose, there's a neighbour of mine, alcoholic who blames his addiction on his surroundings, 150 acre farm all in 1 block, 28 years of age, blames where he's from for all his troubles, he's off the booze now with a couple of weeks but still blames everyone else for his problems, he can't see he was born with all the trappings of wealth but no way to provide it for himself. That's his fault, no one else, he'd have the same shìt attitude if he was born in ballsbridge with millions in the bank

What I do see are people getting on with it and ploughing through, there's none of us have to do what we do but you bought an overpriced sh⁸tbox near the luas, you can move to Spain but you could also move to parts of Ireland with cheaper housing and no mortgage with bigger a garden for the rugrats, the rest of Ireland is also in the EU a well you know, but then what would you have to complain about, maybe you really like Spain but it's a mindset, the grass is always greener etc.

The opportunities are there for anyone that wants them, the perpetually wounded will feel that way, they could emigrate of course and plenty have, the rest of us that toughed it out in this hateful little backwater with education, health care, jobs, social welfare for anyone that needs it and one of the safest places in the world to have and raise children, yea what a shìthole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I agree that the government is & has been since 1922 a miserable, ultra conservative, priest ridden, corrupt nightmare of a place for young people.

But the answer I don't think is to leave, the answer is to reform the system. You'll find all western governments since the late 60's/early 70's have been cracking down on what they call a "excess " or a "crisis of democracy" as they called it in a 1975 report. "The report observed the political state of the United StatesEurope and Japan, and says that in the United States the problems of governance "stem from an excess of democracy" and thus advocates "to restore the prestige and authority of central government institutions."

In other words the population is to free & people have to much democracy so governments have to become more authoritarian to create a more obedient & authority fearing population. Keep people afraid, feeling isolated & in line they won't try to create a more fair & free society.

As Noam Chomsky brilliant explains here, the principles of which the US was founded on, and this can apply to most other western states:

" The constitutional system was based on the principle that the prime responsibility of government is “to protect the minority of the opulent from the majority,” as Madison, the leading framer, explained at the Constitutional Convention. Therefore, he elaborated, power must be in the hands of the wealthy, while the public is fragmented and scattered so that the threat of democracy is reduced and the country can be “governed by those who own it,” as declared by John Jay, the president of the Convention and first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court."

He goes on..

"With all the changes that have taken place over two hundred years, that principle has been maintained, and indeed reiterated, particularly in the twentieth century, when leading Wilsonian liberals (Walter Lippmann, Howard Lasswell, etc.) explained that the “ignorant and meddlesome outsiders” (the general public) have no business interfering in the public arena – their “function” is solely to lend their weight now and then to one of the “responsible men” (elections)."

He explains the so called "crisis of democracy"

"the Trilateral Commission, representing the more liberal internationalist currents among elites from western Europe, Japan and the US, in their study Crisis of Democracy. The “crisis” was that during the ferment of the 1960s, the public began to depart from its normal apathy and passivity. The study recommends means to drive people back to their spectator role, so that “democracy” can be protected. Recall that this is the liberal side of the spectrum; the mislabeled conservatives are far more strongly opposed to democracy. Social policy and propaganda since have been directed to the goal of overcoming “the crisis of democracy” by sharply reducing participation in democratic institutions. The public grasps that in some manner; by now, an unprecedented eighty percent of the public regards American democracy as non-functional.

The major attack on democracy is the effort to shift decision-making even more than before into the hands of unaccountable private tyrannies: the corporate world, which is fundamentally totalitarian in character, as long understood by business historians and political economists. That is the goal of the current efforts to weaken those elements of the national government that serve public needs, while expanding those that serve business power, notably the Pentagon system, which was designed in large measure as a device to transfer public funds to advanced sectors of industry under the guise of “security,” and continues to serve that function.

"

And I think it's pretty clear also that Irish & British governments whether Fianna Fail or Fine Gael, or Tory or Labour governments policies regarding the general population are very similar, reduce democracy and put power into the hands of "unaccountable private tyrannies: the corporate world, which is fundamentally totalitarian in character."

The young population who are eager for change, if determined enough, are the best hope of building a fairer & more egalitarian society.

• Advertisement

Except the opportunities are far better in other places if you can just work a standard week.

I've been looking at parts of Texas and you can rent a new-build 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with walk in wardrobes in a complex with gym, pool, bbq area, all the fancy stuff, nicely decorated for about $1300 a month. And that's in a large metropolitan area that's absolutely booming right now. In my home county (Louth) which isn't exactly the most bustling place the cheapest place in the whole county is a one bed for €800 a month https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-inniskeen-chanonrock-co-louth/3596114. If I want to be in a town it's €900.

As well as that, for what I do the wages would be about ~$90k vs ~€50k. €50k is about €36k after tax. In Texas $90k is $70k take home.

As for cars, you can get a V8 Chevy Camaro (just as a fun example) for $500 a month for 72 months with 0 money down. Or $35k cash. Is there anything you can get with even 200bhp for under €35k here?

Hell, look across Europe and it's not just high-end cars that are cheaper. In Germany you can pick up a brand new Dacia for €99 a month with no deposit. Or €12k for an electric Dacia.

Advertisement