Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes. FF in particular are very conservative, patriarchal and only work for older people. They have nothing to offer the young people of this country which is why very few under 40's would ever consider voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's populism, most Irish people support spoiling pensioners so it's easy cheap politics to engage in and no one does cheap populism like FF

Look at when they were looking to means test medical cards for pensioners with high incomes. Protests, every other party going on like it was the most egregious suggestion ever and they backed down.

Meanwhile they put the college fees up from 800 a year to 1500 to eventually 3k per year I think? Students protested and were ignored and scoffed at. Pensioners are always an important voting block but it's outsized in Ireland. Unlike the rest of the population they're a lot more homogenous and Irish. I've made this point before, our population has been fragmented and it makes effecting change pretty much doomed from the outset. In the under 40 group we have Irish (who can be split into scum and not-scum) and immigrants (who can be split into mobile who can move off elsewhere when things get **** and the ones who land and claim straight away) which leaves a pretty small proportion who both care about fairness and truly have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

We fucked up during the Celtic tiger and **** up again after huge bank bailouts etc etc etc. Huge house prices on a pretty empty island. Mad. I guess it's fine if you have a house and don't have kids. Then it's a big laugh.

Also we are spending billions on a public health service you can't use unless it's an absolute emergency. This has been going on for decades.

Despite the above, even if the place was nirvana, it still makes great sense to emigrate when you are young and free to experience other perspectives on life, expand your worldview, and you know, live a little and enjoy life while you can. Forget about kids and houses and marriage and careers and tax ... Just go and enjoy your life. You can always come back and you probably will.

Except if you are a doctor. You need to stay. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What exactly are the old getting out of this? They may be in a better position that most, but most of these policies hurt all of us in someway.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My experiences with the health service are more routine than absolute emergency. And occasional as they are, they have always worked out as planned. The same goes for family members. There could be millions of such experiences not being reported in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We do not have a low tax take, it's a numerical impossibility; when you have 37% of income earners not paying tax, one the highest rates of VAT, almost the highest rate of death duties in the world, one of the highest rates of CGT in the world and the highest marginal rate cutting in very early comapred to the OECD average.

There are even taxes no other country has, like DIRT and that imputed CGT for ETF's nonsense. We have the second highest costs of car ownership in the EU and it's mostly due to tax. The average cost of car ownership here is over €10K per year.

There is also a significant trick whereby legislation is used to force subsidisation of cherished and protected industries, causing significant costs to consumers, while subsidising the beneficiaries. This scam doesn't get measured as tax but has the same net cost effect on consumers as if the money were raised as tax and paid out as subsidies to the beneficiaries, like the pharmaeceutical and legal industries, NCT, RTE, etc. Something like Becoanase nasel spray for hayfever is 500% more expensive here than in the UK due to legislative protection.

Our public sector pay rates are amongst the highest in the world, another impossibility if it's a low tax regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If I was 20 again I would probably try and move to Australia. The weather here is crap and it’s just something Irish people get accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Just speeding up the inevitable replacement of the Irish. RTE and practically every politician will just say: 'and your problem is...'

We also have some of the worlds finest black mold, slugs, wood rot and wood lice.

• Advertisement

I don't want to sound unpatriotic, but our black mold is pathetic by international standards. hands up though... The peoples of the tropics and subtropics outsmarted us on that one. You are correct on the rest though, particularly the wood lice. Irish woodlice curl into a perfect sphere when threatened, while foreign woodlice form an imperfect geoid. I don't like to look down on any country, but in some respects our pests are simply light years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They might be in low paid positions and/or unable to save much due to paying very high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I for one, have a good life here. Weather in Dublin is grand for the most part and there are loads of things to do apart from the pub. I've lived in a few different countries, the grass is not always greener, and pretty much every rich country that people would be emigrating to have housing crises these days - Oz, Canada, NZ etc. Even places like Amsterdam and Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We have one of the fairest voting systems on the planet, the PR-STV. We get the public representatives and government we choose. The make up of the Dail accurately reflects us as a people, or at least the 63% who voted in 2020. Hence we get sleevens like the Healy-Raes. The government's actions reflects what we want

Also can be possible to get a mortgage here but getting one that equates with being able to actually buy a house to live in are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The masterclass in stealing a living off a broken system are cute independent Kerry hoors getting stuff for their voters that they're entitled to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Total nonsense. Housing only expensive if you want to live in prime parts of Dublin. Try living in Kildare, Meath...get a house for €250k.

€250k for a single person is still a lot of money. That’s €60k gross salary territory and the reality is a lot of people just aren’t on that kind of money. You’d also need €40k in savings for a deposit. With taxation as it is in Ireland you’ll already have paid a fortune in taxes to get that money. Invest it in some kind of policy and there’s DIRT tax on the earnings….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...and a 4 hour daily commute to and from your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Grass is always greener in full flow in this thread. Weather aside, Ireland is one of the best countries to live in the world.

• Advertisement

Our weather is fine really.

Never too hot, never too cold, never too dry, never too wet.

The reailty is we have about 4 months where the weather can get a bit dodgy and our coldest months are limited to January and February. There's many countres that would absolutely love that kind of weather.

Never rains in Dublin really, but I don't think I could stick the constant rain in places like Galway and Mayo, don't know how they do it.

Going against the grain here on the weather but ours is actually a good one in lots of ways- very little extremes of temperature or extreme events. It’s very benign and safe. Especially where I live in the south east it’s good, up west the wet would grate on me I think

I had a far better quality of life when I lived in Australia; and I for one, can't wait to get out of here, so each to their own.

The spring and summer months in Galway can be some of the nicest in Ireland. Cork gets some fantastic weather too. Kinsale can be stunning at times.

The Brother in law is a farmer in Galway. He bemoans the rain at times. But when it's not there, it's much, much, worse for him.

Never lived in Australia myself, in what way is much better? Salaries appear higher, no idea of their taxes though. Bigger country more opportunities?

Also their outdoor life is much more of a thing, self evidently! I hate Irish winters!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Why did you come back and why are you not gone again then instead of wasting your life in this terrible place?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never thought I'd hear anyone defend the weather in Ireland....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

yes Galway area seems to get the best of the heatwaves but statistically they get almost twice as much rain as Dublin, and it's not like it comes in downpours, it's rainy all the bloody time. Would drive me nuts.

Advertisement