Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Mullingar to Rooskey [route options published]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The traffic figures on the N15 show that plenty of people go to Donegal that way. The increasingly appalling roads and bad drivers in NI ensure that I won't go that way by choice unless going to East Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This is pretty much the definition of fair, since Rooskey is a small village and Dublin a major capital.

The traffic levels on the N15 come from Sligo, Galway, Athlone and South of that. None of these journeys would travel anywhere remotely close to the relevant section of the N4, Mullingar to Longford. The only section of the N4 that's relevant for such journeys is Boyle to Sligo, the overwhelming majority would be Collooney to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

Of course I'm going to disagree. I think the person out of touch here is your good self (for example we don't use miles in this country).

I often travel to Donegal Town or Killybegs from the east coast and I can assure you the best, fastest and most comfortable way is via the N4 and I've tried all the alternative routes that you have mentioned. So go easy on the fizzy drinks and prepare yourself to accept that... Wait for it ... you might actually be wrong.

Given I live in Ballyshannon at weekends, I can assure you you're raving. Absolutely nobody here would drive to Dublin via Sligo. Also, try that kind of commentary re: "we don't use miles in this country" in a pub in Donegal or indeed any setting in this country outside of a TII meeting. Expect to be rightly laughed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Off-topic, but I wonder how long the older rural generations will conceptualise distances in miles. It's been so long since they were used for any important purpose in this country (on distance signs, speed limits etc) that it's hard for me to see how the memory of what a mile was is maintained and used in preference to kilometres. They can do what they want, of course, and it doesn't matter to me as long as the signs are metric, but it just seems an odd thing to cling on to.

Anyway, to get back on topic, improve the N4.

The N4 won't be "improved", aka replaced with a motorway, anytime soon. Wishing it to be the case won't change that reality. The best that can and should happen in the meantime, bearing in mind a motorway mightn't be built at all because it's not a priority, is to widen the existing N4 for a few miles east of Longford, maybe close some junctions or build a few parallel access roads to houses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You keep trying to aggressively argue that your anecdotal evidence somehow overcomes everyone elses anecdotal evidence

It doesn't. There are people that drive via the N4 - better road surface, no R plate speed limited drivers and significantly more dual carriageway and passing places being huge factors.

Also, try find someone under 35 who understands miles (and isn't a deliberate contrarian). Its 17 years since they went off speed limits and 50 years since they were last put on a new road sign.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would hazard a guess that most people who live in Donegal spend a lot of time in Northern Ireland and therefore would want to have a very good grasp of what miles are!

I'm 30. I understand kilometres but I also understand miles. I also accept that in popular parlance, people still use miles. By all means stick to your rigid fantasy world where people avoid driving via NI and use kilometres in day to day speech, but please spare me the patronising bs that your literalist world view is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Come on, it’s Christmas. Absolutely no need for this at all.

Someone digitally claims to me that an understanding of miles is obsolete, this to somebody who lives next to NI, who has the lived experience of knowing that miles are used in everyday speech here and indeed elsewhere in this island, who also has the lived experience of travelling to Dublin via the North, as everyone does here.

Unless said poster thinks in some alternative universe that cross border travel to or via NI doesn't occur as the default here, he clearly hasn't the faintest knowledge of border life, as typified by his spiel about miles becoming obsolete decades ago and that people exclusively use RoI roads to travel to Donegal. Great if that's your worldview in Cork or Dublin, but it's completely irrelevant here.

The entire point here is that you are the one trying to insist your opinion is absolutely and utterly right and nobody elses is.

But you missed that and went on another aggressive rant.

Also, please learn that Ballyshannon and hence "border life" is not representative of all of Donegal. Not even slightly.

Fact: miles are the official system of measuring length/distance in NI. If you want to believe that people in Donegal don't understand this or what miles actually are, considering all the cross border travel that occurs, considering signs are in miles, considering Google Maps automatically changes to miles etc etc, I mean fair play, you do you. Mythology seems very popular among many on this beleaguered forum.

Come back to me with any data you have on travel patterns confirming journeys to Dublin via the N4 and any other data you have that the people of Donegal aren't accustomed to crossing the border, life beyond and along the border and people's non-usage of miles, both in popular culture and in practical daily life.

Donegal borders 3 counties in NI and only one in the Republic. Your premise that the reality of life on the border is not representative of all of Donegal is utter nonsense. Just because someone in Kilcar or Dungloe mightn't cross the border every week does not mean they're unaware of the ins and outs of life beyond the border. People in Donegal encounter the border on a general and consistent basis for shopping, work, travel to Dublin, including bus routes, flights etc.

What you claim as anecdote is reality here as you know fine well. Enjoy your Christmas inventing alternative realities and indulging in any other fables that keep you ticking over. Reality will bypass your opinions regardless.👍🏽

Two people have said they use the n4 to go from Dublin to Donegal. Your Mr Angry ranting doesn't make that go away and back up your claim that nobody does. Nor does your ridiculous distraction tactics about units or culture or whatever else you've ranted about

People use the n4 to go to Donegal all the time. Get over it and try not to be so insanely angry about everything

Again I ask, any data to back up that there are more than 2 people using the N4 route to travel from Dublin and environs to Donegal? This is all news to me. No Dublin to Donegal bus route travels this way, it's not a suggestion on Google Maps, nobody I know of has ever done it.

I didn't bring in the tangent of miles. The person who has deluded himself/herself/themselves into believing they're obselete and no longer relevant, given they're legal in NI, brought this up. However, I do believe said individual only did so as a poor attempt at countering my statement with a "gotcha", one which was rather futile, naive and redundant given miles are legal in NI.

Where's your data that nobody does it? You were the one making the outlandish claim in the first place

Oh, well all bus routes both public and private travel from Dublin to Donegal via Tyrone or Fermanagh, depending on the direction within Donegal. The only routes that cross the county border with Leitrim are buses to Sligo, Galway and anywhere along that route. If the N4 is the best option, surely this would be reflected in private if not public buses?

Google Maps doesn't even suggest it as an alternative, let alone recommend it.

I am yet to meet anyone who commutes or travels to Dublin along the route you suggested. 2 randomers on an anonymous forum who seem to suspiciously work in tandem in sustaining myths of their own making do not count as data.

Donegal County Council, Donegal TDs, business interests etc are yet to lobby for an upgrade of the N4, yet regularly make comments, representations and lobby to upgrade routes to the border and onwards via the A5. You would think if the N4 was so vital to Donegal's connectivity, they would lobby for an upgrade of the N4.

Give it up dudes, this is just getting tedious. Your need to indulge in cognitive dissonance and the sustainance of myths just because you "thank" each other's comments is childish.

So you've no evidence for your outlandish and hyperbolic claim then.

You could just have said that you know, rather than wasting time on another angry rant. And I expect another angry rant in reply to this.

Waving your hands at specific other trips doesn't disprove that people use the N4 also. And the buses one is exceptionally weak as most are going to Dublin Airport specifically first.

I direct you to all the evidence I have already provided. Existing bus routes, both public and private. Political communication, or lack thereof, on the issue. Digital travel recommendations. Please do provide us with any sources you have beyond you and your faceless buddy here, who likely live many miles from the area in question but have to continue this charade because they created it.

• Advertisement

Not one bit of that is evidence to back up your claim that nobody uses the N4 route.

You are trying a strawman argument here as you cannot back up your original claim

My hometown is in leitrim, so well acquainted with that end of the country.

occasionally I have to go to Donegal, from Dublin. When working, we cannot travel through the North, so are forced to drive the N4.

When not working, there is no way I would travel that way to Donegal, nor does anybody I know who goes to Donegal from Dublin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thread locked. If anyone has a meaningful comment related to this scheme to add please PM me

I will reopen after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

well all members of probably the biggest employer (The army) in your town cant go through the north while working. so theirs a few more to add to your list...

When they're not working guaranteed they go through the North!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If they didn't already, MUP will guarantee they do so now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The N3 through Cavan, Enniskillen and Pettigo is the route used to get from Dublin to Donegal Town/Killybegs...nobody in their right mind would be going through Sligo and adding on 30 minutes at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Sigh....Virginia, Cavan, Enniskillen, Pettigo, Donegal Town...thats the route.

Advertisement