Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

That'll be seen as cherry picking in the extreme.

It's one of the issues I encountered speaking to many remainers and even some Scottish nationalists. A lot of them seem to want at the very least a return to the exceptionalism of all the opt outs the UK had, while a member, and then add a load more to go with it.

The reality is the UK has treated the EU abysmally over the last few years and it there's a huge risk any deal with the UK on something like that would be undermined and undone, or would be used by others in the British political spectrum to undermine the very idea of the EU or to act as a giant tax and regulatory haven.

So unfortunately, I think they've made their bed. At best you're looking at a comprehensive trade deal as a 3rd country. The notion of friends with benefits isn't very appealing and the EU doesn't owe them a free lunch either.

Organisations like EFTA and the Swiss bilaterals all predate the foundation of the EU and coevolved alongside it. They're legacy arrangements from another era.

There's very little appetite in EFTA to have the UK swamp them either. It would become the UK (and some other places...)

So frankly, most of these proposals don't really fly.

I think you're looking at a narrow, economic trade deal and that's all.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Affiliate membership would also be available as an option for any current EU member state which, like the UK, chose not to adhere to the goal of an ever closer union.". That line makes my blood boil. Which are the particular member states who want ever closer union? They can't resist getting in a sly and nasty dig at the EU.....it sounds like a load of UKIP / Brexiteer nonsense.

Bear in mind that some of the hardcore Brexiteers have made it quite clear their agenda is to break up the EU. They see it as a barrier to their ideal of zero regulation, economic extreme liberalism and some notion of a swashbuckling, wild west economic model. Hence all the jibes about protectionism etc etc

Their Eurosceptic views go way beyond just Brexit.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Ever close union" among the peoples of Europe is, and has been all along, an explicitly stated objective of the EU and its member states. It's literally on page 1 of the Treaty of Rome, which established the (then) EEC and it is repeated in the Single European Act (1986) and the Lisbon Treaty (2009).

So, which are the particular member states that want an ever closer union? They all do; they have bound themselves to it, repeatedly.

But, NB, it's not an ever closer union of the states of Europe; it's an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe. Brexiteers tend to assume that "ever closer union" can only mean a federal "United States of Europe". That assumption tells us more about Brexiteers than it does about the EU and its objectives.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This was posted in YLYL but should be interesting here too. The variation of standards they were totally not going to do has clearly started. Its an impressive reduction too, no half measures here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK the GB standard has not been reduced; it's the same standard as the EU was applying until recently. The EU standard was rescaled in August 2021; the GB standard has not been changed. I don't know whether it's intended to change it to keep it in line with the new EU standard.

You'll notice that the EU label includes a QR code which you can scan that will link you to more detailed information about the labelled product - colour temperature, cap type, and so forth. I don't know if the UK intends to make this feature part of the GB labelling standard; I'm guessing not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The tricky part of this idea is the reverse question: why would EFTA want the UK? It's members IIRC generally include Lichtenstein Switzerland etc - small countries who (I'm guessing) would not want the suddenly introduction of a country who'd immediately dwarf then all in population and clout. Not to mention being a historically noted belligerent voice in a community of nations. Were I Iceland it'd be a loud "no" from me for that reason.

No better exemplar of that in the immediate post Brexit glow in 2016 than Dan Hannan's infamous and crowing op-ed, where he spoke of the EU broken up after other nations followed UK's example (starting with Ireland, of course. Sure don't we always do what they do?). I bring it up every few months but it really does stick in my memory as this crystallisation of the hubris that has been the Brexit dream. Being all a bunch of disaster capitalists, the breakup of the EU would be a goldmine of opportunity for those touting "sovereignty" as a mask for enrichment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Ever closer Union is mentioned in the Treaty of Rome. You don't have to agree on the pace of the progress towards the goal but if you don't agree with the goal as a whole then you've nothing to do in the EU. Currently, Poland and Hungary fall within this category.

It’s perfect example of how standards will inevitably diverge and why the border and customs will get complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

"The tricky part of this idea is the reverse question: why would EFTA want the UK? It's members IIRC generally include Lichtenstein Switzerland etc - small countries who (I'm guessing) would not want the suddenly introduction of a country who'd immediately dwarf then all in population and clout. Not to mention being a historically noted belligerent voice in a community of nations. Were I Iceland it'd be a loud "no" from me for that reason."

It boils down how the UK sees itself. The EU meant it was a strong voice, but still required the acceptance by other, smaller, countries. Being in EFTA would pretty much make them the leader of that bunch, by dint of their massive size and population. Much like we in Ireland need to be cognisant that we are very small part of the EU and we can't expect to get everything we want, those smaller countries would see that over time the UK would demand more and more and the smaller countries would have little real power. The UK have shown that they are quite prepared to shot themselves, and harm others, to try to get their own way.

But the UK don't see it like that. And since they couldn't get their own way in the EU, then the next best thing is to make themselves king of another group and try to attack it from another angle.

• Advertisement

I suppose they could try and setup a parallel organisation, but they’re barely able to hold the U.K. itself together at present. So I’m not sure they’ve got the leadership skills or political capital to do something like that.

There’s a fundamental issue with being unable to see others as equals and refusing to compromise or share power. That’s why the Empire fell apart. It’s why aspects of the U.K. don’t work - it’s not a federal entity. It’s England and some other lesser nations it dragged into a Union.

I mean look at the institutions: Westminster is basically the English Parliament modified for the U.K. .. the central bank is still called The Bank of England. You can’t even spend Scottish issued bank notes in England. They play international sports as separate countries, except when they don’t.

It’s a mess. It’s also very much why they can’t play as part of a Union of equals. They don’t see themselves as equal. Never have and probably never will. There’s a very thinly veiled xenophobia and notion of superiority in Brexit politics and it’s all about an aspect of England and English nationalism that is extended into a broader British identity, but only when it suits.

Indeed, but that was my point - this Brexity document implies that there are EU member states in favour of a 'federal Europe', when that isn't even on the table.

As I said, this joke of a proposal of theirs on 'associated membership' sounds like it was written by UKIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EU+NI standard improved rather than the GB standard being cut. Allegedly GB are going to change theirs to match eventually.

For a while before the standards diverged you got two identical stickers inside boxes of TVs, monitors etc. So much for reducing red tape!

I don't think Poland and Hungary are pushing against closer integration : I think it's more that they want to exist as racist, bigoted states within the union and to be left to their own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its Farage's old "Norway +" repackaged and made to look like a serious academic paper

100% : which is why I was very surprised to see some Lib Dem guy was involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The business model of the empire was plunder. Extract raw materials from the colonies bring them back to England and add value and export and shut down industry in those same colonies. It’s completely redundant in the 21st century.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scottish banks that issue their own notes have to keep reserves of English sterling to back them. The big Scottish banks RBS/Halifax and Clydesdale do most of their business in England so there should no problem with foreign notes.

England imposed currency restrictions on Scotland that mean an independent Scotland could peg to the UK pound in the morning as it's already 100% backed up.

True, but my point is more that it underlines a certain aspect of English political thinking. They don’t seem to be able to cede or really share power to even their own Union, never mind a loose union with other European countries.

Can you imaging the Bank of New York running the US Federal Reserve, with other states having to print their own notes with a backing of NY Dollars? Or similar in Germany, or anywhere?

The structures are always England … and some other countries with funny accents that aren’t taken seriously.

Can you imagine having “The Bavarian Office” in Berlin and some appointed upper class twit, with no connections to Bavaria, was given the title of Bavarian Secretary and sent to administer it ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

When a populist leader like BoJo loses popular support they are done for as they have neither policy, creditability or track record to protect their position and this night club clip is a microcosm of how BoJo is losing the country from which there is no return.

https://twitter.com/PaulAllenSK1/status/1473600050194436097

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Richard Wellesley, older brother of the Duke of Wellington, said on being made Governer General of India: "I will squeeze then until the gods of avarice themselves weep and cry enough, and then I shall squeeze some more". (quoted from memory)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lucy Fisher, deputy political editor of The Telegraph, is tweeting that the UK are going to repeal an (alleged) EU law which will enable them to sell Champagne in pint bottles.

#rolleyes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, they can sell their own fizzy wine as they like, but how will they get the French to use pint bottles for their excellent Champagne, given that they laid down their vintage champers years ago?

If it was the beginning of April, I would be suspicious of stories like that. However, given the day that is in it, I suspect that story came from a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I assume the UK will do away with the AOC/PDO in another "astounding win" for Brexit Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

In an amazing coincidence, the pint bottle of champagne was a particularly favourite measure of Churchill's.

They've already agreed it in the withdrawal agreement afaik, it would be a direct violation.

The EU didn't agree to reciprocity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 75cl bottle is the standard the world over.

A 56.826 Cl bottle will receive the same welcome as a 360 gram Toblerone chocolate bar that replaced the 400 gram one in 2016, with two peaks missing and a larger distance between the peaks - caused outrage.

Is the pint bottle another example of the cheap trick of shrinkflation? Less for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just another Blue Passport Issue I reckon, another thin piece of superficial, nationalistic flexing against a world that moved on from such luminous, British units of measurement as a "pint". Although shrinkflation also sounds equally plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Too soon man, I still have Post Toblerone Sizing Disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brexit is the gift that keeps giving. The James Webb telescope was launched this morning by Europeans.

The UK has worked with ESA far more than we did over the years but guess whose flag wasn't on the rocket ? And whose was ? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHW6xwhWUAIGHtq?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

It's the little things.

Advertisement