Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Not sure about BOI, but for others its a very straight forward process

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Oh no. I’m with Ptsb and waiting on feedback from legal department to release funding. No responses and we were hoping to drawdown in the next week or 2 . Only I looked here I would not have known about the cutoff date of 10th December. Regretting choosing them over AIB 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Signed contracts for a new build today and never felt such a mix of emotions, this is only the start of the thing really. Builder's solicitors are being asses with all of my solicitors requests which is really annoying.

I really can't wait for this whole thing to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 holunder

Been sale agreed on a house for 6 months now. There have been several issues with the house (planning and boundaries etc), and the solicitors are operating at a snails pace to get issues resolved but I've been patient. Now the estate agent is threatening to pull the sale if I don't sign contracts, and is generally just being a pain. I can't sign them until one final issue is resolved (which could still take weeks). Incredibly stressful to deal with 😥 Is it too risky to ask the estate agent not to contact me again unless there's an urgent matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Signed off on the snag today. Hoping now to close the sale before the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Blaa.boy

Congratulations your just there. We re waiting a week now since everything was sent in to them, hope to have them by end of week and close early next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ec18

Estate Agent works for the vendors, tell him you aren't signing until the issue is resolved. If he's started being a pain now likely knows about the issues. Just remind him that all these issues will still have to be worked through with a new purchasers solicitor if the vendors pull the sale. Make sure he knows vendors solicitor is operating at a snails pace as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Moved

Post edited by Arnold54321 on

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Also worth pointing out estate agents do these sales day in day out and should have flagged to their client that issues like this arise all the time and they should be pro active in resolving them prior to going sale agreed, annoys me the crap estate agents get away with by playing dumb, they know damn well every potential issue with the house they are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Signed over a week ago, seller's solicitor still hasnt responded to my solicitor, pre-Christmas closing look very unlikely at this stage :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would have always seen Dalkey as a more exclusive and affluent area than Blackrock, Monkstown and Booterstown, so would imagine that's it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Thanks.We moved yesterday in lashing rain.I am exhausted now, the stress of the last few days of dealing with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Your solicitor is there to advise if the contract is good to be signed or not. That is not the EA’s call. If he wants a quick sale he should encourage his client to speak to their solicitor and ensure that issues raised by your own solicitor is addressed quickly…. It took many revised contracts and three signed affidavits by the vendor before our solicitor called us that it is good for signing. During the process I’m the one ringing the EA to tell their client and their solicitor to address the issues as we want to be in the house by December.

Can’t agree more. They know that every house extension, new porch, attic conversion, constructed Shed either needs a planning permission or certificate of exemption. That should be sorted before putting the house up for sale. If they are local to the area, they know which estate have the usual right of way issues. They can easily check if there is potential encroachment issue with the neighbour. They are just lazy. It will benefit all parties to have a quick sale but yet they leave everything last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 holunder

Thank you so much, everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Agent has been making me feel like I'm plucking issues out of the sky to cause trouble. IMO, all of these issues should've been solved before the house was even on the market. Agent is familiar with issues, and probably thought they would slip by unnoticed. The way the market is now, I almost feel indebted to the vendor for letting me buy their house :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I found when I was buying that some agents are far better than others.

You have some who are holding your hand all the way through the process and are ahead of the game in what you need to do.

But some, and 2 in particular were woeful. I would never ever engage them to sell my house.

One of them had a smug attitude on her that just put you off. she handled any questions we had terribly and would always fire back with questions about our suitability for a mortgage. We viewed 2 houses with her and then crossed anymore that she was handling off the list. Would never go see a house her company was handling again.

Another (from a franchise) we found very distant and even though we had everything in place and were cash buyers she took a week to even bring our bid to the vendor. It was a neighbor we knew who told the vendor we had bid, and only then they get the bid from the agent after they asked about it. Then for weeks we would be ringing the agent to ask what the story was and how it was progressing. Sometimes she never returned our calls and sometimes she would ring back without having even checked what our question was after a few days. We put up with a month of this and just bailed. Would never engage her company to sell a house either in future.

Then eventually (another franchise) we did end up buying and they couldnt have been more proactive. They were a pleasure to deal with. Would use them all day long if ever selling a property now.

Also viewed a house advertised on moovingo. There is an agent you deal with and the owner shows their house. The agent took a week to get back to my original inquiry which wasnt good. We did view the house and found the owner lovely, but the house wasnt for us at the time. A week later the moovingo agent called me and said. Exact quote "So have you any interest in that house or not?". "We were thinking about it but its not for us". "OK, bye." and he hangs up.

I guess some estate agents are just better than others, but by God if I was selling a house id be avoiding some of those. All i will say is when you are buying take note of how good the agents are, so you know which ones to avoid if you are ever selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I think most EAs operate a don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to potential issues. I spoke to several when I was selling my apartment and literally none of them asked any questions about, for example, the health of the management company, fire safety inspections etc etc. All of which could be issues during the conveyancing process.

I mean, I get it, they don't want to turn away potential vendors and they also don't want to lie straight to purchasers faces. But it really is buyer beware, you will never ever be offered information about potential issues upfront so a good surveyor and solicitor are vital.

The issues will eventually surface though so better be proactive about them. We were interested in a property during the height of lockdown when no viewing was allowed. We rang to enquire about the property and we’re ready to place a bid. The EA presented all the known issues of neighbouring property going over the boundary with their double storey garage conversion. Asked us if we are willing to go ahead and that it will likely be an issue if we are to do the same conversion in the future… that saved our time and potentially their time as we would definitely walked away when it comes up during conveyancing…. The experience with that EA made me sceptical about others who knows nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

It really feels like they just want to attract as many bidders as possible by saying nothing and hope the winner will be so committed at that stage they will get over all the issues that arise, one that stuck in my mind was a house for sale where I got the folio for it and checked the name, the old lady in it had died two weeks before and probate hadn't even started but EA's were doing viewings, could take 9 months for that to be resolved but no mention in the ad 🙄

They literally go around and measure every room but you'll never see a picture of that crack on the gable wall, its an industry that needs to be far more strictly regulated TBH, a lot of shysters in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I had gone sale agreed on an apartment, about 6 weeks had passed, I paid €450 for a surveyor and €300 for valuations from two separate banks, only to find out from the information that the management company disclosed to my solicitor that the block failed a fire audit and as well as being fundamentally unsafe, would cost millions to repair. Solicitor told me in no uncertain terms not to buy the place under any circumstances.

Complete waste of my time and money- there is no way the sellers didn’t know about this. Whether the agent knew or not is debatable- but he certainly knew when he put the ad back up online the day after I pulled out, telling him my reason. So he will definitely be lying to people’s faces when they ask him about any known issues. There should definitely be more regulation about this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Finding ptsb painful. Drawdown requested 2 weeks ago. Missing document that was sent middle of last week. Told we would have answer everyday this week. Now rolling into next week. Don't understand how they are so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Yes sounds like a complete waste of time for all involved. I would wonder now if that EA will have the brass neck to lie to people who ask why the previous sale agreed fell through. I suspect they'll be vague and say something about solicitors and hope no more questions are asked.

Unfortunately, such is the market, they'll likely find many people won't ask why the previous sale agreed fell through, such is the frantic rush to get a bid in now and ask questions later.

On fire safety issues more generally, if you're looking at an apartment built from the mid 90s to late 2000s, just assume they exist, unless the management co can prove otherwise by pointing to a recent fire audit. Most management cos of blocks of that era are burying their head in the sand about those issues hoping that they'll never be uncovered - ignorance is bliss.

And as a previous apartment owner I don't blame them given the massive costs of fixing them and effect on the value of people's property. This is somewhat unsolicited advice but seriously, don't take the fact that there's no known issues as a clean bill of health - only a recent fire audit can give that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

Gosh, house buying is not for faint hearted in these times, or maybe ever. We finally had official word our funds were released on Friday. It's been painfully slow 3 years looking, booking, withdrawal, outbid, waiting lists, frantic calls to estate agents, stress and more stress....to finally close seems a bit surreal. We had a ridiculous situation at last minute with Finance Ireland, so word of warning check double check & query everything. We signed contracts they sent on 12th Oct, they sent an identical contract on 17th & our solicitor sidekick said must be a mistake as identical. Two mistakes, bank & solicitor so we get to drawdown requests and suddenly Finance Ireland realise the contract we signed is dated 12th not 17th. It meant racing to solicitor filling in ALL contracts again and racing back to hand deliver to them as contracts expire. The moral of story is trust no one in this, question builder (1st snags are a joke on mew builds), hound solicitor, & bank, link back with broker (if you have one) if things are slow. Literally be the pain in the ass. No one will care as much as you do, no matter how much you're paying...plus get a good good solicitor. Our main solicitor was fine, but really busy and left stuff to a junior to finalise, which for us turned out to nearly ruin our chance of closing before Christmas. The backdrop to this is our rental was up on the Friday, thankfully understanding landlord and they delayed until we get keys Tue. So my advice is to add 10 days to estimate time if your moving from rental just factor the cost in, as it's too stressful leaving to tie in with their estimated dates. In Dec, majority of banks want you to request drawdown before 10th Dec, because they know it takes 5 to 10 days if stuff goes wrong. We had an amazing broker who saved the show & kept pushing for answers that's actually how we found out any issue existed, (pm if you need broker name, seriously good). Anyway, best of luck & thanks for all the tips, feedback and wishing everyone well who is hoping to close

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Post edited by tommyombomb on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Has anyone had a positive experience with Ptsb drawdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

It seems like nobody is having a good time trying to get a smooth sale completed at the moment. It's been a long 15 weeks since we went sale agreed but our solicitor has FINALLY received contracts from the vendor (after a LOT of stress!). So far it looks like there will be minimal queries, possibly none. Once we sign, typically how long might it take for the vendor to sign and get to close? It probably varies right? I'm hoping we might get to sign before Christmas. Our mortgage will be with BOI.

Finding them a disaster. Waiting nearly two weeks since last documents went in for it. Was told I would have answer every day last week still no word. Have you been waiting long?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What's a usual price for a survey on a property? Quoted €500 + VAT but no idea if this is usual or not. He came recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Does anyone have any tips on how to put a little pressure on a sellers' solicitor to get contracts signed? Would approaching the EA or my own solicitor be the more effective strategy? Signed the contracts a little over 2 weeks ago and still waiting for the other party to sign. The whole process has been very slow considering there are no chains or issues in the sale and the house has been empty since it went up for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I’d contact the estate agent. They may have some insight on the reasons for the delay and should be able to offer advice.

Advertisement