Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

My comment above was in response to this question

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Still Clueless

We have been looking to move for the past 2 years, and its soul destroying. We have seen lots of properties and some "compromise" properties. We have made offers but pulled out of them when bidding wars got beyond what we were comfortable with or when the cost to fix the property went sky high. We want to stay in the area already live in the area, the kids are in a good school, so we are committed to here for another 8 - 10 years.

We have a current offer in but it's already gone 10% above the asking price, which was already 10% higher than the neighbour's property which sold in December last year. Thankfully we haven't put our own house on the market yet, but hoping that the stars align up for us this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Have everything sorted. Thanks to a few friends. Such a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

we've been on the hunt for a new build since March, but obviously nothing was happening at the time due to construction being shut down. had registered interest in multiple new estates in North County Dublin. Just figured it would be a wait and hope exercise.

we got a call from one of the estate agents last week telling us that there were a few houses going on sale off plan, and if we were interested to let them know. the exact type of house we had been hoping for was available, and within 24 hours of receiving the call we had our booking deposit in and are finally getting a house 😀

Contracts to be signed in January, with hopeful completion in April. Our mortgage approval lapsed in mid November but agent was happy enough to accept our old approval for the time being, with new approval to be provided when it comes through. having to rush through getting a solicitor and our help to buy details now, as we weren't expecting anything house related until at least the new year.

so over the moon that we are finally getting a house. Right place at the right time in answering the call from the estate agent. if I hadn't the could have easily just passed over and called someone else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

I was having a chat to my solicitor and mentioned the fact we are there 4+ years and she said to give notice straight away as the notice period would be 84 days. I know part 4 tenacies are supposed to protect the tenant but it's a bit of a nightmare. Would have been much more comfortable waiting until contracts are signed and giving 1 month but those are the breaks! Fingers crossed all goes well or I'll be traipsing across the country to crash with my parents in my 40s. Ah well...Still delighted be in this position finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I'm very thankful for everyone sharing their experiences, answering questions and helping others out. I honestly don't think I would have been able to navigate this convoluted process without the help of this board thread, so thanks everyone! Finally, got good news, and I am signing the contracts today. I started my mortgage protection insurance starting tomorrow as the insurance broker advised having it setup and live for drawdown asap. After receiving the policy documents, I noticed that the end date is also tomorrow in 30 years - which is likely a few days too early, will the bank have a problem with this?Thanks again everyone, hope to join the group helping others out soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Yes, you'll need to rewind the date of the insurance as it needs to cover the full length of the mortgage. This happened us and because our closing date was delayed, we had to rewind the start date. Do it now, before it delays the process closer to closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Signed contracts for house we are selling and house we are buying were exchanged today. Bank confirmed everything marked off and we are queued for funding. Have removal truck booked for Friday move. Please god no last minute surprise please.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnpackt

Contracts signed finally. Does anyone know how much time will it take for KBC to release funds once the request is raised? There was a mail a few days before stating that all request needs to be before 10th Dec to process this year. Other wise it will process after the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Does anyone know if the other banks have given a similar cut-off date for a 2021 drawdown? We're sale agreed on our old house, and awaiting contracts to be signed. I'd love to have a date in mind as a deadline to close before the end of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnpackt

I would say it's best to ask the bank you are dealing with. They may be able to guide you best. Also, I explained this to our solicitors. So they did expedite the process for us.

We're selling, and I don't know who the buyer's mortgage is with.

We managed to go from sale agreed on a new build to close in 5 weeks during the summer, which seems unbelievable. As you say, you can make things move if you have the solicitor and bank in their toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidan364

I would imagine all banks will have a deadline of somewhere within the first two weeks of December as a cut off point to either request funds for drawdown or to actually drawdown the funds. Coming up to the end of the year there are tight deadlines to ensure that money can transfer between accounts on time. Our lender had a deadline of 7 December to request the funds. I would definitely contact your lender and ask about their end of year deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I was told cut off for AIB is 15. December when I was in branch yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Permanent TSB told us the same date. Thankfully, we requested drawdown yesterday and hope to have our keys by the 10th to the 15th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

After two long years of waiting I saw the inside of my new home today during snagging. Pretty much the only defects were cosmetic, so hopefully can close in the next week or so. Feels a bit surreal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

So we are due to close on buying and selling on Friday.

PTSB are dragging their feet pushing through the approval, and we are dealing with a broker who is poor, at best.

We are furious and stressed as it looks like we will miss the Friday date.Movers booked and everything.

Will be removing our business from PTSB as soon as we can.

Thanks for the deadline info. Our buyers are super-keen to close. Hopefully the solicitors keep things moving and they initiate a drawdown in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

BoI are between the 13th and 15th. I've been told different dates in separate conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Today I turned over the keys of my house and got the keys to our new house. What a roller coaster journey. I don’t know how would I cope without this thread. You are all great source of knowledge and thank you for everyone who shared useful information, advice and experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We are having a lot of trouble with PTSB. We were due to buy and sell on Friday just gone. Our buyer's mortgage seems to also be with PTSB and their money has not landed either. They are dragging their feet badly at pushing the information through their approvals process - it seems to be at "final check" for several days now. They have now cost us a fortune with a moving company, never mind the absolute stress. If I could push this to January, I would. I did not want to be stuck moving close to Christmas and as this drags on, it gets more stressful.

This should not be this difficult as we are moving to an empty house, and our buyer's are first time buyers, which makes it all the more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 soupy mince

The exact same thing happened to me. Was due to close early last week - money never came through from PTSB -was stuck in a queue for final checks etc. Had to reschedule deliveries etc and extend temporary accommodation. Got word at lunchtime that the money has finally landed - holding my breath until I get the keys finally - after the most stressful 6 months of my life!

They are unreal @soupy mince , the last week has been the most stressful experience ever (and I have done stress in previous jobs!!)Cannot understand how this can take so long, solicitor had it all set up ready to go well in advance of the closing date.They are a liability of a bank, I will not be staying with them.

‘Final checks’ for me with PTSB took two weeks. Shouldn’t be that long and they shouldn’t still be blaming Covid

It's been a week now anyway.....and Christmas looming.It is pointless being angry but we are angry all the same as we have small kids in tow here.It cannot be that hard to push the "box ticked" button.Pointless signing a contract date if the bank is just going to disregard it and do what suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidan364

We're meant to be closing today , waiting for the solicitor to get in touch to say its still going ahead or that it has been delayed due to the weather. I thought I was impatient on the lead up to closing, I'm already feeling like kid on Christmas eve.

Apparently the bank released our funds just before lunch today.

I have never been so stressed in my life as I was in the last 10 days, and I have had some pretty stressful jobs in my life.

My only word to anyone closing a sale -especially if it is with PTSB - is be aware that their internal approval processes may push you past the closing date in your contract, and allow for that in your calculations for accommodation and moving and the rest. And that they don't actually care about what date is in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

In the middle of selling our house and buying another. Everything was going grand until we had to try and get Mortgage Protection and now our stress levels have gone over the cliff. We are trying to get a waiver and the hoops that we're being put through are stressing us no end. Worse is having to complete the questionnaires for mortgage protection, answering questions your doctor would barely ask you, knowing they will be refusing you anyway.

Then sending it to the bank and being told that the underwriters want more. You get them that and then they want something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Hi All, Not fully sure if this is the right place for the question but hope someone can help.

I have AIP with BOI which is due to run out soon so ideally i would just like to have it extended. Has anyone had any experience of this? Is it a fresh application or less formal. My financial circumstances haven't changed since the last time except a larger amount in savings

Advertisement