Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

From anyone that's recently gone through the process. At what stage did you receive an estimated close date? I'm at 4 months now, waiting to hear whats next. It's been between the solicitors since (no major issues or chains involved). I have an estate agent asking me about contract signing on a weekly basis now, and still completely in the dark about when I can roughly expect what comes next. My understanding was once solicitors receive contracts and review them, they provide an estimated close timeframe. I've asked multiple times but am always told it's too early for a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

4 months is too long a wait for a transaction not involving a chain. Firstly, has the title deed been released to seller’s solicitor? This can take long. The seller can call the Bank and put pressure. Secondly, has the sellers solicitor have issued the contract to buyers solicitor? If not, they are either dragging their heels or there are some challenges in the title and they need more time fixing this. If the contract has been issued already, I assume the buyers solicitors have raised pre-contract queries already. At this point they should be transparent of what’s taking so long. Email your solicitor and demand more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭klose

They probably have a long list of clients they know are looking for X and Y and they're a middle man essentially, not sure id feel comfortable handing over a booking fee to a person selling their home themselves for example. They're also handy for holding keys when valuations/surveys etc need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not to mention if there’s any issues at all, it’s far preferable to have them chase the purchasers and liaise with solicitors, surveyors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭tscul32

My MIL's house is going through probate,plan was to put it up for sale when ready. But they've been approached by an interested party, sale price agreed and contracts being drawn up. No EA involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

One week until I snag. It's been a long two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

I’m selling and buying. My solicitor called that we are closing Friday week on both transactions. Sounds too good to be true. Mortgage advisor said it can be done as have all drawdown requirements ready. It will be frantic packing this weekend, booking a removal truck, and saying goodbye to neighbours. Will arrange accommodation and temporary storage too as I don’t think both will close on that same day. Nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Wow I thought 13 and a bit months was bad… let’s hope the documentation comes quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Picking up my keys today.

Just a quick question ( slightly off topic ) regarding gas and electric. Whos the best/cheapest to go with 1st. You always hear if you switch you’ll get a better rate. Does this apply to new customers with anyone. And what do i need to set up an a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just dont get conned into getting a smart meter.

Use bonkers.ie to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Congratulations.

Would you try a comparsion website like bonkers.ie and see what offers there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i never got a concrete close date when buying my place, wasn't in a chain either, was checking in with solicitor every few days and not really getting any firm answers, then one day i get an email from solicitor requesting his money then had keys about 2 hrs later. I knew it was coming but never once was an actual close date mentioned, was all just 'waiting for the other side to get back' and stuff like that, i had the estate agent on my back too but just kept saying im good to go, its all in the solicitors hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I assume new builds are all coming pre installed with them now? We are hoping to get our keys in a few weeks and have been tentatively looking at rates to suit an air to water system.

A friend just moved into their house and the previous owner had a smart meter installed. They cant go back to the old day/night one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's the issue with a smart meter? Not really familiar with them (have old style meter).

Brought in under the pretence that it would be better for you. However the plans are so complicated, like health insurance and how mobiles used to be, that they obscure the fact 99% of people will be paying far more for their electricity.

They dont even have a smart meter plan which mimics the normal day/night times of existing meters, which is easy for a smart meter to do.

So before you change to a smart meter make sure to check on bonkers.ie are you really getting the bargain they are telling you you are getting, because you arent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

had 1 viewing yesterday and 3 viewings today which all went well. Very impressed with the video and photos professionally done by the auctioneer. I Spent 2 weeks getting the house looking the best it’s ever been. The auctioneer was delighted when they opened the door for the viewing and I had a turf fire in the stove, freshly brewed coffee smell and bread baking in the oven. I know , very 80s property tips, but they worked, hopefully next week will see offers.

Nothing is ever easy is it :)

Got my keys yesterday trying to hook up the electricity and gas.

Previous owner doesn’t have the GPRN because he never used it.

Theres 8 meter boxes on the outside. None of them marked and have absolutely no idea which 2 our mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

If he still has any of the bills the GPRN should be on the top right corner of the bill. Presumably even if he never used he should still have been getting bills for it, even if the bill was €0. Or if he went paperless he should be able to find it by logging on to his account online...if he knows the details.

Have you tried opening any of the boxes just on the off chance the number of each house might be written inside? They probably aren't, but it doesn't hurt to check.

• Advertisement

No bills left lying around. I don’t think he ever got a bill for it or had any interaction with the gas company so no bills at all.

Have opened them all no sign of any number.

Hopefully the other 2 occupants are in tonight and have the gas on and their meters are running and my one will be the one not running.

Think ive the electric one sorted as had the MPRN

Ah ok. Fingers crossed you can get it sorted without much hassle so! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I was buying an apartment, had done survey, my solicitor had received the contracts… then got information this week from the management company that a fire audit had been done, the building had failed, and millions would have to be spent to fix it. My solicitor advised me to run a mile, so I’ve pulled out. It instantly went back up online- I’d love to be able to warn people. Save them the €800 in surveys and valuations that I wasted.

It’s the second time this year I’ve had a sale fall through- the first one, I was stuck in a chain for months because the lady I was buying it from couldn’t find another property to buy, so I eventually withdrew and she pulled the property from the market.

It’s great to see everyone get their keys and say “keep the faith!” but I find it incredibly depressing to be facing into another Christmas living at home, at 34 years old. I don’t have any faith or hope anymore. Every way I turn, I’m confronted by fucked up government policy- whether that’s being stuck in a chain because supply is so dire, or being unable to buy one of the death traps that Fianna Fáil gave the green light to 15 years ago. Yes it’s better to be in my situation than be one of the poor sods living in an unsafe, unsellable property- but I’m utterly fed up with it all.

you dodged a bullet there. I’ve read horror stories about amounts owned for cladding replacement and fireproofing. I’m amazed that this doesn’t have to be disclosed by the agent up front. After all the UK headlines after Grenfell, I’m pretty sure is the case over there

hold on to the last thing you said. You are way better off in your situation than in an apartment that needs cladding replacement. There have been many suicides and bankruptcies over this in the UK

but I feel for you nonetheless. Having hopes dashed like this is heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ron.

What's the law around this? I'm in a similar situation except less time. I signed a lease in the summer but now in the process of buying a new build, hopefully moving early new year. I expect I'll lose my deposit for breaking the contract but not sure if there is anything to gain from telling the agency now.

Got the correct meters and numbers and just set up an a/c online with electric ireland.

Clicked proceed and the next page says could take 4 weeks. Hopefully thats not the case. Im moving in, in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jenpenjelly

We are just about to drawdown on our home (finally yay) after we pay our solicitor and the extra money towards our mortgage we have money left over in our savings account. Can we spend that extra now before drawdown?

Is the electricity active in there at the moment or has everything been switched off completely? If it's active then you're grand to move in. They'll sort out the meter readings and stuff after the one you gave them when signing up. I got the keys to my apartment in September, and it had been vacant since May. The electricity was still active and I signed up with Electric Ireland also and it was a fairly smooth process. I just had a quick look through my emails and to go from application to getting my account number it took 13 days total, so it should be less than the four weeks for you. That's probably just a very long estimate they give to cover themselves in case there are any issues with the sign up.

No gas in my apartment so I can't comment on any of that or how long it takes, sorry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

If you’re in the middle of a fixed term lease, you have the right to find a replacement tenant (what RTB calls ‘assigning the lease’). If the LL doesn’t want you to do that, then you have the right to end the tenancy. Not sure how much notice you need to give. I’d call the RTB to enquire. See RTB on ending a fixed term tenancy here: https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/ending-a-fixed-term-tenancy

Advertisement