Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Koastals recent GP purchase has gotten me thinking again, i was very close to buying the same model blue dial Laureato a while back, but this skeleton version is playing on my mind at the moment,

financial suicide if you dont get it right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Far from me to advise you on how to proceed considering the big hitters that are (were) in your possession, but having had the Laureato for the best part of two weeks now, all I can say is that from my experience I am 100% happy with it. It runs at a constant +4 seconds per day, so with some regulation, would be extremely accurate - if that is of importance to you. It is exceptionally light to wear but I find that for a 42mm, it does wear small. The bracelet is also light and does not feel as robust as an Oyster for example, but it does the job well.

The more you look at the watch though, the more you appreciate the level of finishing - it is exceptionally difficult to photograph but do have a look at the many available on-line reviews as their photography skills is not something I could ever match and they obviously do a far better job. One big surprise is that the casing is so accurately 'tapped' that the 'GP' on the winder is always aligned perfectly when in the 'screwed-in' position - something that is completely random with Rolex sports watches. I checked to see if I just got lucky, but seemingly this alignment is standard GP.

So all in all, I would highly recommend GP. I bought mine new on Chrono from a GP AD based in Italy, and the prices are negotiable - work towards getting 20% off RRP. Comes with 5 year warranty and boxes etc. are top quality also. Obviously, there will be 'but its not an AP' but having held both, 'pound-for pound' I would honestly pick the GP every time. Personally, I am not a fan of skeleton watches due mainly to lack of legibility, but if that is your preference, I don't think you will be disappointed with the GP. It looks a beautiful piece.

Best of luck with your search and look forward to seeing pictures on here if you do decide to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks appreciate the advice,the model you have is a stunner to be honest it's probably all the laureato anyone needs. And in an age where the AP and VC equivalent trade at 3 or 4 times retail it's value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

My wife's Bering quartz watch died a couple of weeks ago and I had a go at getting the back off but gave up and suggested she get it done somewhere in town and last week she brought it back to Weirs (downstairs where they sell shitters) but they said it would take two weeks for them to get the battery.

It's currently taking me about 6-7 days to get a battery delivered by Amazon and I'd have thought if they were selling quartz watches they should have a supply in stock anyway.

Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

First Tiffany 5711 just sold at auction for 5.35million Dollars (plus tax plus commission)….,,

(well we have had worse days rodders)

Paulareis will have one out next week for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You'll be buying 64 of them so? Great value and almost as good as the original 😂

Talk about homages - I have a Seestern Doxa homage coming in, looking forward to wearing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The watch world has surely reached peak ridiculousness- it’s a stainless steel watch a with a coloured dial . We talk about Rolex sports models selling for twice retail, that Patek has gone for near 100 times its retail price .It’s not a vintage piece with history, it’s not a precious metal piece , what it is though is the ultimate example of watch hype .

it was always going to make big money but 5mill is madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If Jodi is to be believed, the real thing isn't all that great so this time I might stick to the homage. For a change!

Not that it won't be up on adverts after a few weeks, but that aside. 😂

"You'll be buying 64 of them so? Great value and almost as good as the original 😂"

Hardly likely as I don't even like the original. Duck egg blue never did it for me, too girlie. Might be your style?

I believe there was a charity element to this auction. So price may have been skewed somewhat then.

For these types of watches RRP is irrelevant.

Strange. I have benefited more than anyone on here with price rises in the last 3 years but I hate the watch market as it stands and the lack of any type of VFM in the “established” brands sees me looking further afield. One of the reasons I got a DDS as at least I can see where the ££££ goes on the finishing. That’s said I am working on a watch from a hype brand at the mo which may or may not happen.

I wonder is the invoice done as rrp plus a charitable contribution? A nice way of a huge tax write off it it is

Watched about 30mins of TTWC doing a live stream with Watch Gringa and some other guy yesterday. Oisín was suggesting that the manufactured hype round this Nautilus was good for the 'watch collecting community' as it generated interest from the media. If you're holding a huge amount of expensive watches I can see how that argument has a certain appeal.

There was a short article in yesterday's Financial Times on the Patek release so that's probably what he's talking about. The FT weekend is great value at €4.50, loads of glossy ads for luxury goods (watches, jewellery, LV luggage, etc.) with a fair amount of wokism and eco-concern. I enjoy it as it gives me an insight into a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

still have it, no issues and its my go to dress watch

I got a bespoke tweed strap commissioned for it a while ago and really works with it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

When I pulled the trigger on the Seamaster GMT, I had an idea that it might pair well with the Aquaterra rubber strap.

It's an expensive strap to buy on a whim, so I've bought a Chinesium version from AliExpress to get a feel for how it would look on the watch head.

A bit galling that the seller offers the strap in both branded i.e completely fake version! Aswell as the unbranded homage version. We all know the fakery and IP infringement that goes on but it's blatant and nothing done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My long time grail has been the midsize Seamaster.

I would be happy enough with the quartz version tbh, what do the experts here reckon I would be looking at price wise to pick one up.

I have seen a few good examples recently, and they have been up around the £1900 mark. Too much unfortunately at that price, but they seem to be creeping up in price.

But what offer could potentially snag one?

If you mean the Goldeneye quartz mine cost slightly less than that after discount from Brertons in Capel St. earlier this year. Good service from them if they have one which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

There is a beautiful Duoface Reverso on Adverts at the moment, anyone from here?

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-duoface/25653440

• Advertisement

we are definitely in the insanity stage of watch collecting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

This is something from one of my student's submissions - it's on fashion, which I know lighting about, but I thought it would be interesting to overlay watches instead of fashion brands. Any starters?

I find fashion fascinating but essentially it's 90% marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

How are you going to fit Seiko in? They have a range that covers from Blanchy up to Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The other aspect is perception based on time based trends. Cartier would be a top of the line luxury jewellery brand, but at the moment you'd have to sell off a shoebox full of solid gold ones to buy a steel Rolex Sub. Which was a mid tier tool watch the same price as other mid tier tool watches. They're now firmly in the aspirational bracket, with a current madness trend on top which placed them in the supreme bracket. Supreme brands Patek and AP weren't even on the radar ten years ago, but now they are as more people decided to put their money into them, so in some senses I would say they've dropped into aspirational. IWC went from aspirational to "who?" near overnight. Breitling ditto. Panerai are going a similar way. TAG Heuer were once squarely in the premium bracket and now they're a wrist faux pas. Well looking back to the 90's, even the early 00's *screen quivers, harps play* when they were at their height the watch hobbyists always looked down on them. What I think happened is as the hobby went mainstream more newbies got into the hobby and picked up that scorn for TAG from the old farts and it spread. Omega have remained very consistent and for a long time too. Longines were huge pre the 1950's but were up and down, mostly the latter since then and have come back to relevance by nicking their pre 50's hits and remaking them for current fashions. They're like the watch equivalent of the Rolling Stones. People want to hear the hits. Zenith were another huge brand but went downhill, tried to bump up their prices and status but failed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

you’ve hit the nail on the head perfectly Wibbs

I assume ye all got Christmas cards from Rolex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Happy Christmas folks!

If there's a watch under the tree for anyone? May it be a grail or become one 😉

Here's to a better '22, one with plenty more watches, chat and craic👍

Advertisement