Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Am I correct in saying the Brazil DRS straight is roughly 600m and the one in Abu Dhabi is roughly 750m??

With most of the slow corners removed and turned into straights?

F1 put this up on YouTube, presumably what with his final race coming up.

As usual I'll say just look how twitchy those cars were. Also if you watch from just after 0.45 in, there's an onboard and Montoya is to Kimi's right. When Montoya hits the brakes it's like a switch. Now it seems (and I'm sure lack of good engine note doesn't help) than even when driving hard in the race the braking power doesn't look as strong or as instant. I know the hybrid system helps with braking but the extra weight doesn't.

Also just that overtake for the win. That corner wasn't a flat-out kink back then either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kimi is my spirit animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You see, we don't really know that. We've only been introduced to the team radio to Race control this year. The closest we've ever seen as to how Charlie operated was when cameras rolled in the drivers meetings a few years back. For all we know, the umming and ahhhing happened under Charlie as well and who can forget when Seb basically told Charlie to eff off over the radio. There was a very good debate over this by the BBC team on the Chequered Flag podcast that's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’ve no doubt Charlie was available on the radio during races and it just wasn’t broadcast at the time…. But I’ve also got no doubt he wouldn’t take any of this sh*t from Toto and Horner were hearing lately and would put them back in their box quicksmart!

Maybe that’s why it’s now being broadcast? Because teams can push a bit more knowing there will be no repercussions so we’re hearing more drama??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren to use a modified livery this weekend:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It looks like they ran out of regular blue paint and used the flo-vis stuff instead.

Mercedes sponsorship with Kingspan has been terminated.

“Mercedes end controversial £4m-a-year deal with Grenfell firm”

https://mol.im/a/10285663

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lol. so that is an issue worth having a whinge about but racing in SA or Qatar is not?

Exceptionally massive double standards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Not fair play to them for putting theie money where their mouth is on the issue they can control? Mercedes has influence but they don't decide where they race, but they do decide their own sponsors.

Dare I suggest a little honourable mention to Lewis? Well see what they say later.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if the teams' behaviour hasn't changed since they started broadcasting it to the public. They're now working in the court of public opinion as well as Masi.

The snippy tone and passive aggressive questions they ask Masi are probably not helping their case with Masi directly. They probably know they're leveraging public opinion to get masi to do what they want.

People give out loads about Masi bit I don't think he's done much wrong. I don't agree with all the decisions and some decisions have taken too long. But all in all, I think they've done well given a difficult set of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Petronas? Malaysian govt owned company. A country with a fairly poor human rights record. A company for whom Hamilton appears in an advert for and has no problem promoting

It’s all just bluster, if people didn’t kick up a stink over it then nothing would have been said and the sponsorship would still be in place. It’s got nothing to do with sensitivity etc…. It’s just money and social media appearance!! No one on twitter cares about Malaysia or petronas so it flies under the radar, Merc aren’t alone in this type of thing either, all corps do it and will judge what’s best for the brand, profile and bottom line.

Y'all want to talk about dodgy sponsors?

Ferrari and McLaren are still sponsored by nicotine suppliers, the Red Bull energy drink can cause cardiac issues if over consumed, all those fancy stats sponsored by a multi billionaire who flies his 🍆 into space, Haas being taken over by Russians and before that possibly the most contentious sponsor in the history of Formula 1. Rich Energy.

Post edited by flazio on

I haven't heard any stink kicked up about Petronas. But that might be my western European perspective.

In any case, Hamilton was placed in an invidious position as he lent support to the Grenfell survivors and then his team accepted sponsorship from one of the companies involved in the Grenfell tragedy. And they have now resolved the position by not accepting the sponsorship. That sounds like them putting their money where their mouth is in this case even if not all others.

Why always resort to whataboutery?

Oh look someone appears to have acted well.

Yeah well, they haven't acted perfectly in all other instances so they're hypocrites, which makes them even worse.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Exactly - practically nobody in this part of the world gives a **** about Malaysia, and have no direct experience of what happens in Saudi etc. But the F1 circus and the media that covers it is completely and totally UK centric in the way everything is reported, and Grenfell is a major UK issue, so that's why Mercedes have backed down to public pressure in this instance as the PR damage is not worth the monetary gain. If enough of a stink is kicked up about other sponsors, they would also be dropped. But if the sponsorship money outweighs the PR damage, there is literally nobody they wouldn't take money from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Such a pity Kingspan had to be involved in the Grenful Tower fire as if it wasn't we could have had an Irish sponsor and maybe even another Irish F1 team in the future. Kingsland F1 could have been interesting. Maybe Haas or one of the smaller teams will do the deal with them who knows. I think it's harsh really as all Kingspan done is sold there product they did not install it the engineer on the project should have known if it was the right product to use or not and there was another cheaper product used along with Kingspan the exasperated the fire. It was the council and others that wanted it done cheaper that should be blamed for the fire.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

You should probably look into the accusations against Kingspan. Very serious if true.

While engaging in a smear campaign against competitors claiming they were using sub-standard materials. Pretty scummy.

I'll say fair play to Hamilton on this one. Toto did his best with his laughable "I'm sorry that what we're doing makes you feel bad" statement. I doubt Merc gave a shite either way and were ready to ride it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya the kingspan line is that they didn't design any of the systems in the tower and that their product was used without their knowledge in a small percentage of the facade.

They don't mention the fraudulent certification of their products and their company attitude around that.

For a company like Mercedes to walk blindly into this PR disaster would suggest that they didn't do even the most basic due diligence prior to signing up.

As for kingspan, being dropped like this must be the ultimate advertising disaster.

• Advertisement

I can imagine Cavan GAA are already lining themselves up for the money not being spent by Mercedes-Benz 😋

But seriously, metaphorically speaking, this isn't like a case of sueing Circle K just because their diesel happened to be in the tank of a bus that caught fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's like blaming fuel company for a bus catching fire after finding that the diesel you bought was contaminated with another highly flammable fuel and also after finding evidence of fuel company producing dodgy certification to say that the fuel was diesel and not defective or unfit for purpose in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Debub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

The same Bernie who suggested Hamilton should have stepped down to preserve Shumachers title record and thus legacy.

The man (Bernie) is now irrelevant

Looks like the race will be live on Channel 4. However commentary will be provided by Sky Sports.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2021/12/08/channel-4-strikes-deal-with-sky-to-air-f1-season-finale-live-in-uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Masi laying down the law before the last race and reminding drivers they could be deducted points and or suspended for interfering with the championship.

Not like Perez or Bottas would care either way. I'd imagine either team would make it up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Crofty called it the goat vs the kid

He also just said his moment of the year was at copse corner silverstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Pigs might fly sooner than Bottas wins another race in F1. He might as well retire next Sunday. With Sauber, the only way is down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's sad to see Kimi retiring, I think people forget how good and how quick of a driver he was especially in the 00s. Only Hamilton and Schumacher have more fastest laps than him. There's a beyond the grid interview on YouTube with him, it's over an hour long. Surprised they managed to get that long out of him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement