Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

You can't just double the cases for November.

You can match cases like for like per 100k if you want. (while adjusting the death ratio to its parent case number) But doubling cases in November effectively halves the deaths

Possibly the biggest error I've seen on any covid thread so far.

Not sure why that has to be highlight lol

if November 2021 had 116K cases and it IS the delta variant then you can't double the number again. The 116K already factors in the transmissibility because it is the fecking variant that is being counted.

Thats like saying, I am going to count cows in a field that are black and white. And then getting to 100 black and white cows, then finishing off by saying. Well black and white cows are 4 times more likely to be in Irish fields so we now count 400 cows in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Quags

Holy Jaysus 😂 If you believe this then your head is so far in the sand its ridiculous. Backlash is so strong from the new restrictions that its time to take the blame away from the HSE/Gov and back to the dirty unvaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The 13% of cases you're referring to excludes cases in 0-12 year olds though.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

I’d imagine you’d have to look at the age breakdown too, of the 80,000 approx. positive cases over that four week period. That 7% unvaccinated changes a bit as the age group decreases.

Could be the case, pure example, that 15% of 12 - 40 year olds are unvaccinated, and if there were disproportionately more cases in that group, then you’re not really talking 13% unvaccinated out of 7% of population.

Having said that there will cases in the unknown 18,000 that are not vaccinated so it won’t be 13% unvaccinated, it will be higher, could be 1% higher, could be 20% higher.

The HSPC data is relying on gathering information in the first instance from the case/patient, and then on the quality of data input on the system (from HSE as well as from place of vaccination) and also on the software linking HSE data to CIDR which is relatively new.

We have a rolling 7 day cases average of 4885 and a rolling 7 day deaths average of 8. That's 0.16% fatality rate in the cases we're aware of.

These increased restrictions are hysterical madness.

He’s right. It’s a jumped-up flu. The only reason that it gets so much attention is that Trump is gone and there’s nothing else to get dramatic about…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That's a good point with the age breakdown.

They do give a detailed age breakdown on the ages of the vaccinated, but not in the unvaccinated. As the unknown % is so high, you can't simply take the HPSC weekly report of subtract the age breakdowns to get the unvaccinated numbers.

I'd also question the older ICU reports, they had 3 categories, fully vaccinated, partially and unvaccinated. I wonder if there was a significant unknown figure that was lumped in with unvaccinated?

I made the mistake on the new reports to take the vaccinated and partially vaccinated figure away from the total and assume the remaining figure was unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

The road taken is indeed a bumpy one. I do remember when 60% of the population would take the vaccination we’d have herd immunity…then it became 80% … now there’s a push for 100%. Meanwhile I noticed a headline on Sunday stating the public being angry/losing patience with unvaccinated. There’s plenty of finger pointing which changes from time to time.

Perhaps the EU will try to bring in mandatory vaccination? Seems a good idea but long term -from a democratic perspective …bold, risky perhaps over-invasive and somewhat creepy. an extension of powers could lay a precedent for similar measures in the future -citizens simply doing what they are told to do by a perceived majority view. Majority views can be bolstered by strong media campaigns, lack of real debate, excessive negativity propagating fear, and censorship. Are we seeing that- yes. There is fake news out there but valid differing views are lumped in with that category which simply benefits those presenting majority view. Differing views are presented as marginalised and labels are applied to ‘those others’. This happens time and again through history.

The view presented as mainstream creates division.

Ideally many could develop natural immunity via infection in addition to vaccinated portions of society esp immunocomp. Everybody working together. It is clear that these vaccines don’t offer herd immunity. They lessen symptoms. Then a new variant comes along and we’re offered another shot…and another and another? Then a further headline from a Pharmaceutical (AZ) today stating that it’s likely that a far worse virus will strike in the near future … more fear yet who profits?

Im glad when I pray in silence and look for answers that I’m guided not to worry 😅 Great cosmic changes are also in motion and played out on the world stage 🙂 Better days lie ahead. 😅 How lucky we are to live in these times! Love is the great unifier, fear divides. Love yourself, love others and stay positive ✨🧡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

My issue isn't the amount of money earned....its the months of berating and pontificating , and without a doubt, sneering that these posters are doing from an Ivory Tower where they have been wholey untouched by the financial pain and suffering that so many people are now dealing with now for almost 2 years.

Its quite frankly disgusting to me to brag about your earnings and how well you are doing, while all the while taking this moral fukcing highground telling others how great they are and how sh1t everyone else is. All the while people are losing every god damn thing they have worked for. I've had enough now. And I'm not the only one.

"All in this together"?

We are in my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

In fairness to the dude he only mentioned his €1200 in response to a fairly abrasive comment from me.

I don't think he was meaning to generally brag about his income.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,955 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yep and I'm now out , for a moment earlier , I thought thread back on Track but clearly not. Some quite astonishing bile and irrelevant nonsense has taken over 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

With all due respect to you, there was ZERO need for his pay to be mentioned by him at all. It was done to brag and gloat and keeps in tone with the rest of their posts. Post inflammatory things...expect a reaction. And in the current climate, bragging about pulling in €1200 A DAY when people have been reduced to €350 PER WEEK, is intended to rile and gloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Exactly. People have used it as an excuse for an internet pile-on. Very unedifying.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Seen the narrative is starting to crumble across Europe. In the last two days alone big protests in Austria, The Netherlands, Germany and our nearest neighbours up in Belfast. Wonder when we will stand up and say 'Enough is Enough!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Double jabbed? For a moment i thought i was seeing things and thought i read doubled chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We'll be waiting a while for that

usual sources will just label protests as 'loony anti vaxxers'

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

Don’t worry my friend. Worry is from stress and there are many things to be grateful for. There seems to be the elusive promise of happiness at the next thing … when the environment is fixed, when the virus is gone, when the homes are built. 😅 This material world is the world of Maya (illusion) -yet the eternal promise of happiness can only come from inside of yourself, not from any government, religion, policy.

Everybodys action in the material world is toward happiness -drinking, disagreeing with someone, buying something … all temporary. As the veil of illusion is beginning to dissolve the inner glow of your true self will shine brighter. The world of maya is in the process of dissolving - that is why corruption comes to the surface quickly now -football, church, olympics, banks, everywhere. The illusion of happiness in the external world has been shaped by our thought-consciousness & fortified by the resulting societal structures created -from roads to power hiarchies.

As the concentration of consciousness (life force) increases , dissolving maya- there is a purging of lower vibration aspects of the collective psyche. So it can seem that the world is falling apart , but worry not, merely chaos before big change 🙂 The illusion of external power can appear to become more draconian as that aspect of power (as an energy) attempts to maintain , assert its position. This is why the great spiritual texts speak of a period of great darkness before before the dawn. Part of the great drama 😅

It is difficult also for people to connect with their spiritual faculties since they are more obscure & intangible at this period- (it’s is easier to become engaged with the world of maya & seek happiness -perhaps in a metaverse 😅) . This partially accounts for the apparent demise of religion and increase in negativity (substance abuse, gambling, crime, lower morality on tv etc)- it’s a phase . When the innate spiritual faculties reawaken - such joy will be felt. Arguments will seem trivial, but an awareness of what has blocked your joy will be tangible -anger, fear, sadness etc and an opportunity to purge these in order for an elevation in consciousness. All will be well but it is a bumpy road …in the pandemic- there is division but for the elevation in consciousness, we are in it together 😅

Peace and happiness to you 🙏😀🌤

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's almost a given that people are accepting nothing will change come 9th January

Could be a case of more restrictions coming on board going into Christmas week.

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That's what the Belfast protest was labelled as.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's what any protest is labeled in this country. People just won't or can't accept people having different views. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

A bit grim in Europe at the moment to say the least. But some ray's of hope starting to appear.

Those Baltic countries seem to be cooling off rapidly after a horrendous time

Eastern Europe look like slowing right down now after a total disaster for a couple of months

Scandanavia on a knife edge

Central Europe in a real bad way

France, Italy, Spain and Portugal look next to get hit

Ireland & UK more or less stood still

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am biased when it comes to the EU and wanted to see its demise, so I would welcome a EU mandate for mandatory vaccines. Throw out fines and imprisonments for not paying. 30-40% of their populations being threatened with indefinite imprisonment.

Imagine the police having to roll into places like Molembeek, Malmo, Saint Denis to round up parents and take them away from their kids for indefinite detention. It was only last summer Chechens were roaming around Dijon with Uzi's. That would be fun. The locals will take that well 😄

Or Romania with 30% vaccinated. I was alive when Ceausescu was gathered up and shot against a wall and so were a large part of the Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

20 years ago, the reaction to Coviid would have been entirely different. Social media is a huge driver of the hysteria to Covid. Traditional media has had to become far more strident in an attempt to stay relevant. Combine all this with a generation of populist politicians and you have our current completely disproportionate reaction to Covid.

People will look back on this and be baffled we flushed so much money away on something so relatively harmless - that money could have been so much better spent on a myriad of other issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

I think the game is up with omicron, they realise it isn't so deadly so can't quite fearmonger about it anymore.

That scientist seems a bit loopy, did you see her at Wimbledon ? - they gave her a seat in the royal box and she looked like she was RAGING that there was full crowds there.

People like her want lockdowns forever.

Advertisement