Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Layout of Inishowen would be lanes with a few houses either side, usually related .The other poster seemed to be pushing for terraced houses in Buncrana as an alternative which is a quarter- witted idea

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

Ignoring half the post, gotcha. I'm not being drawn into discussion with you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And this is the problem. Nobody wants a "magical refresh for free".

They want their walls to stop falling down around their children's ears. They don't want a brand spanking new house. Every victim I know would be delighted if a repair would be good enough to restore them to a functional house but unfortunately it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭jj880

- The grant calculation methodology will be based on the cost per square foot (psf) of rebuilding the existing home, with costings to be set by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage in consultation with the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland. An indicative rate of €145 per square foot for the first 1,000 sq foot based on SCSI methodology with a sliding scale thereafter.

The only way this can be seen as 100% is if the Government tender this work and hold builders to this scale.

I havent seen the scale. Can someone post a source for the 110 and 100 per sq foot figures I have seen mentioned?

EDIT: McConalogue has just spilled about the scale on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=402946034896708)

145 euro for 0-1000 sq ft

110 euro for 1000-2000 sq ft

100 euro for 2000+ sq ft

Pretty steep drop off there on that "scale"

I really dont know how this can be called 100%

• Advertisement

GreeBo is now forum banned.

This personal responsibility that they're on about ,does that mean them 5 year warranties on new cars won't be honoured?

Will prices drop for everything with this " no comeback, no guarantee",

Will all solicitors cease practising as sure it's everyone's fault for trusting a person,product or service,

Suppose it'll save the HSE a fortune in negligence claims, sure its your own fault for getting sick,

Post edited by RandomViewer on

So telling someone they have to leave their home in Carlingford to live in a Drogheda slum is a good idea?

If they are abusive (like I received) or offensive can you PM the admin Beasty and copy Greebo's PM into the message.

• Advertisement

Nah not abusive. Just whingy, slagging off your moderating and continuing the same rant about how the victims are looking for freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

We've been shafted by the government. The media spin machine is in full force.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Sorry to repeat, but is that just the effect of the cap and sq ft rate?

Or does storage of property, demo costs, rent etc all go on top?

My house would have a shortfall of €45k according to that, but 18 months of rent would be another €13k at least. No idea what storage and demo costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm nearly sure I Heard mcconlogue on the rte news saying what a good scheme it was for homeowners and they should be happy.

Yeah desperate stuff. 100% of a totally inadequate rate per sq foot. How McConalogue could stand there waving his hands talking absolute bollox just shows what a cretin he is. They dont give 2 sh!tes and have left families to fight it in and out with builders and pay fortunes on top of this "enhanced" scheme. And no mention of costs for demolition, disposal or foundations. Frank McBrearty has outlined his father's case in the Sunday Times last week which he is trying to get into the courts soon due to his father's age. A favourable outcome there could force the government to get serious. This could be the only realistic chance of getting proper redress. What has been announced today is a joke.

Just seen equations someone has posted on Twitter and this proposed new scheme is actually worse than the last 90/10 60/40 proposal.

But the way in which the government, rte,and some of our local representatives have used the 420,000 cap announcement has made sure most of the country havn't a clue about the real financial shortfall that the homeowners face.

Really really disgusting.

13,000 short, that's us out then.

In the gov.ie press release i linked above there is an extra allowance of 15k for rent and 5k for storage. But the elephant in the room is the cost before you even lay a footing block. You could be looking at 50k+ gone before you add on the shortfall from the chart in Penfailed's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's clearly become impossible on this thread to express a reasonably argued contrarian point. And there we should leave it. Let there be a general election on the issue I say and let political parties put forward a reasonable scheme that ALL Irish voters can choose to assess and vote on whether they think appropriate. That'll focus minds soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

For the record, I live in an older 150m2 house, approx 1500 sq ft in old money. I would absolutely love to get €200,000 to knock and rebuild it and would happily add another €100,000 to have new build to modern insulation and heating standards. I would be extremely grateful to any government who offered such generous grant aid, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Is your house going to crumble and collapse in the near future? that's the difference here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You can certainly express a reasonably argued contrarian point. The problem is, people generally don't present a reasonably argued point and would rather stir the pot about a very emotive issue.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Is someone who smokes constantly not responsible if they get cancer ?

Is someone who drinks heavily not responsible if they destroy their liver ?

Is someone who stuffs themselves with sugar and fat not responsible if obesity produces diabetes etc. ?

My simple mind says 'yes' in all cases .

Its a great day for the trolls.

@ChocolateIce do not post in this thread again.

Think the point went about 50feet over your head,

More detail.

Clearly states no funding for foundations.

No mention of demolition and disposal costs.

Need to take a week away from this as it will do my head in if I dont.

Edit: also states if you and the adjoining semi detached house are eligible you have to apply separately. Jesis Chr!st its the same building with the same concrete. 1 look at my house and my neighbour and you know both houses will need tossed. Clowns.

Post edited by jj880 on

After watching the debate on virgin 1. Mcconlogue is finished but what a great representation by Michael Doherty.

If the sliding scale can be scrapped there may be a chance of making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be 55,000 short .

And, as the table shows, every single homeowner will have to add money. So for the gov to claim it's a 100% redress scheme is a straight up lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

You completely missed my point, its easy for somewhere in a large county to be larger than the smallest county.

Feel sorry for the poor fella in Drogheda that'll be stuck there, (wouldn't wish that on anyone) while the boyo on primetime complains that the very generous scheme isn't generous enough, the mind boggles.

Grab the money and run, its a phenomenal package, there have to be limits.

• Advertisement

Totally unacceptable. I know that there is alot of things being posted on this site and another site about how ungrateful homeowners are and how a €420,000 new home is not enough. I was ready for a ban and believe me what I was going to reply to some would of ended in a permanent ban but on reflection the government and Rte have successfully succeeded in spreading this total mistruth to turn the rest of the country against this scheme. If some people would only stop and forget about the €420,000 figure and study what the sliding scale of sq/ft they will see it's nowhere near this and is costing the homeowners on average €65,000.

Big job now is trying to get the real truth out in the media for whoever wants to really know the facts, but how much longer can people go on and who in power is going to stand up and do the right thing. People can't go on much longer so scrap the sliding scale and let people get on with their lives.

If Charlie and Joe and a few others back the sliding scale to be scrapped they might and a big might just get their dignity back .Hopefully their moral compass kicks in.

Advertisement