Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

Quick googling and use of the scsi rebuild calculator tells me my house (1259sqft) will be about 173,000 to rebuild, €137/sqft. But that doesn't include demolition, removal of materials, accommodation, if the foundation is safe and needs repoured, etcetc.

I'm waiting for the full scheme details, I'd imagine we'll get heavily ripped off some other way and won't have the money to avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I guess it will depend on how its implemented.

It its like an insurance payout for example, you would be "free" to use the 173K as you wished. The ancillary costs might mean that you can only spend 150K on the rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, what the bollix are you on about?

Cassidys were operating illegally, not complying with government issued planning regs, not complying with government issued quality requirements, and the government looked the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So why did you, others or builders buy blocks from them???? People are responsible for their own actions. It is quite extraordinary that the state has agreed to this degree of payoff. Those who are following this around the country are aghast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A supplier of defective blocks doesn't have planning permission or insurance but supplies government bodies? Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

€145 for the first 1000sqft. €110 for the rest. Works out at 85% for me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Because nobody knew at that point, except (allegedly) the local council. If someone buys from Cassidys now, I'd agree that it's on their own head because its widely known that they're scoundrels. But 20 years ago this was unheard of.

Do you go into a pub and ask for a copy of their license before ordering a pint? If you go to hospital do you ask the doc for a copy of his/her degree and CV?

No, you have faith in the system of regulation that is meant to ensure that they are qualified and/or licensed to operate in that capacity. If I went and had treatment in hospital and it later turned out that Joe the cleaner had snuck in and performed the procedure, would that be my own fault or would the hospital get sued inside and out?

What the bollix does their planning permission or lack thereof have to do with the quality of their blocks?

Perhaps their canteen also didn't meet the FSAI requirements, maybe their HR policies wouldn't pass muster with the WRC, is any of that relevant to defective blocks in your opinion?

Do you have any evidence that anyone in the government "looked the other way"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ahh ffs here we go again blaming everybody who became victim to this scandal.

People had no way of knowing at the time these blocks were not up to standard and would most likely not have known about other business irregularities involving Cassidys.

What about people who bought houses affected by this where structual surveys could not have picked these things up at the time, is it there fault as well?

You may say people around the country are aghast at the remediation scheme, but anyone I have met outside Donegal bar just one person fully supports what people in Donegal are fighting for on this.

When you hired your builder, did you check his previous work or just take his word on it?

I didn't hire a builder. I'm not a victim.

However what is your point? Builders were not the issue. The blocks were. But they didn't become an issue for 10, 15, 20 years. So if someone had gone and looked at other houses built using Cassidys blocks they would have been none the wiser.

The only way people could have avoided this would have been for them to take samples of the blocks to be used, had them tested and the high Mica levels would have shown up.

The problem is, that was not their job. And if you think a single person in the country has EVER done this outside of the last 5 years, you're in cloud cuckoo land.

How do you think personal responsibility comes into play in this situation?

Clearly we should have spent 6k to test the house for mica as part of the buying process.

Come to think of it, I didn't check any of the internal timber to make sure the moisture level was okay.

Oh no! I didn't even test the paint for lead!

Oh for goodness sake! I DIDN'T DO A 6 MONTH SURVEY FOR RADON.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If someone bought a house and it emerged that (for example) the timbers in the roof were rotten or otherwise compromised, do you think the government should be on the hook for the cost of these repairs as well?

Were the timbers classes under a specific regulation regarding moisture? Were the regulations self certified by the supplier? Have you already taken the supplier to court and been unable to recoup any losses due the supplier having inadequate insurance?

More than this, the timbers in the roof are visible, and would be covered by a structural surveys before purchase.

What if your architect wasn't actually qualified, or your builder had never built a thing in his life...who is at fault there?

Did anyone in your process actually ask to see the certifications from the block supplier?

Do I take this reply to mean you have no evidence that anyone in the gov was "looking the other way"?

• Advertisement

I don't have proof personally, but I believe that emails have been uncovered that proved the council knew about this issue and not only didn't tell the public, but also continued to use the same blocks for public buildings and council estates.

The block supplier self regulated. They could produce any number of certifications. That doesn't mean they met them.

Belief is an amazing thing that has no relation to facts I'm afraid.

Great, so I presume you have your copy of the certs that were provided on the back of any blocks that were used in your build?

The house was already built when I bought it. I'm not engaging with you any further as it would appear you're only here to get a rise out of people stuck in a really shítty situation.

You would go after the seller (which has been done in regards to mica) and their insurance (as it turns out there is none).

You can actually find out if the architect is licensed, and you go after the (unlicensed) architect (pretty sure there's a criminal process involved for this particular scenario, operating without a license) and the individual builder.

And no, the block supplier certification was not checked because

a) no one in their right mind would assume the blocks a house is built from are defective, until very recently of course

b) in our case, there is very little chance of ever finding out who built the houses, and what blocks they used, as it is part of a housing estate built 15 years ago.

This is the typical reply from posters like you on this forum.

I'm not going to reply to you as you only want to engage with people who believe in bailing you out 100%. Sorry to burst your bubble that not everyone agrees with your opinion.

I have plenty of sympathy for people in this situation, right up to the point where they want a magical refresh of their house for free.

So you can find out if the architect is licenced, but no one tried to find out if the certificates were valid, or even existed? The very foundation of the biggest expense in your life time and you took someones word for it?

Why would anyone in their right mind assume that the architect was qualified or that the builder was experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭firemansam4

What an absolute crock of **** of a post.

To be honest i think im done with this thread now if this seems to be the standard of posting on it.

It was a good informative thread at one point but unfortunately has descended into this crap now from many.

• Advertisement

I'm not posting in this particular forum to have the internet version of the Spanish Inquisition brought down upon me. I'm posting here to hear opinions from people who are in the same position as me or are somewhat sympathetic to my plight. I don't have to do a merry jig to whatever tune you are playing for your twisted enjoyment. I only wish I was getting a magical refresh of my house for free. There's nothing magical about it and going by the numbers today, it's certainly not for free.

Advertisement