Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Of course, I’m fully vaccinated for Covid also. Doesn’t mean I’ve to agree with children being vaccinated for Covid which doesn’t affect them seriously, the vaccine passport or even boosters for healthy people. None of those are necessary, maybe by booster 6 some posters might start asking questions…

Another lazy attempt at trying to label a poster as ‘anti vaxx’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's precisely the message we got about the original vaccine doses. A lot of people are very cynical now when they hear the same thing now about boosters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Might be better for younger healthier people to get Covid every year at this point.

My point being we vaccinate children against a disease that is rare for them to get but can be devastating in rare circumstances. It's the rationale for covid vaccine for children. It was more a perspective angle I was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

The economy can open without restrictions tomorrow, the virus does not cause restrictions, they are a political response which has been deemed necessary right now because of our extremely low hospital capacity. The remaining restrictions - masks, 12 oclock closures, vax passes etc etc - may or may not be doing much to mitigate the spread, and their effectiveness is entirely contestable. The issue I see in your comment (and this applies the entire media ecosystem in this country) is that there is a basic assumption that each of these measure does actually work. The virus has come in waves regardless of any of these measures, so i think it is very questionable whether they are really accomplishing anything at this point. The only point of reference we really have (since we have not actually removed all restrictions even once since they were introduced) is what has occurred in other countries that have, e.g. the UK. Our media should be demanding the evidence that these measures have actually accomplished what is claimed by public health officials. As Carl Sagan put it once, extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence (and forcing people to wear masks everywhere and recieve a vaccine is extraordinary in terms of human history), but the narrative that is offered is basically unfalsifiable - when the case numbers go low, the claim is that the measures worked as intended; when cases spike, the claim is that people are not adhering to measures enough or that we need new measures. This is not good enough imo, and the media seem content to accept at face value what we are told. They should be interrogating, analysing, but instead they are simply repeating public health official propaganda.

Ok fair point. But the Covid vaccine isn’t very effective as it needs boosters every six months according to the companies themselves. Do you think children should keep getting booster after booster of mRNA vaccines for a virus that isn’t a threat to them? It took years for the Meningitis vaccine to be developed.

I know a lot of people working in healthcare - the main danger to younger children currently is RSV type viruses. It has hospitalised quite a few children in the last number of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As someone said above, we've heard that tale before....

I've a better question - when does our economy/society reopen with NO restrictions? Where is the endpoint here?

I for one want to go back to a REAL normal (pre-2020), not this more limited and constantly under threat of renewed restrictions society we are currently living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its mental.

Up till literally 7 days ago we have had it drilled into us, schools are safe, kids are fine, dont get sick from this (something ive witnessed myself) to literally a week later Vaccinate all the kids now and mask them us asap and posters here are asking "whats the problem?" Its a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

You're right about that, but I reckon both sides of the debate on this thread would probably feel its true of their counterparts too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It really wouldn't, the vaccines stop us from having to use that capacity in the first place they are literally top of the list from the "things that are needed to run the health service efficiently". The flu vaccine is another example that drastically reduces the spending needed on capacity, in this case, an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

But has there ever been a world event that, when its over, has resulted in things going "back" ? Society moves on and there are probably always going to be residual impacts long after COVID is endemic in the background. Look at airport security 20 years after 9/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...so what's the big deal? Fair play to anyone that makes the move. Good luck to them.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

You're arguing on the safety of the vaccines in this case. Medical professionals and authorities around the world have deemed them safe, billions of people have taken them, trials much larger than normal for medical trials have been ran to determine their safety, we are into very rare side effects that have only been found due to mass rollout and even for them, there is treatment available when they occur vs. a novel virus which can kill people with undetermined long term effects.

"isn't very effective" seems to be your typical refrain and doesn't make sense for a vaccine with a 90%+ chance of eliminating severe disease in people and reducing transmission rates significantly for a highly transmissible virus.

We'll come back to it in six months sure? Yeah? Fair? I'm confident that I'll be right that there won't be Covid passes for six year olds to access play centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So you want to put vaccines into kids who don't need them to protect people who are vulnerable and will already have taken boosters that is supposed to protect them from serious illness and being hospitalised.

The flu jab is voluntary and kids are more at risk to It than Covid, so I have no problem with kids taking that vaccine.

If someone had told you last year that a vaccine pass would be mandatory to gain entrance into pubs and restaurants, and that in countries like Austria they would be made mandatory altogether - do you think that would have sounded far-fetched?

I have confidence in calling it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I've been wrong before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Name the risks, not all of them obviously, unless you have a very short arm, can you name 5 of the risks for example? Preferably the most serious ones - mild pain at the injection site wouldn't be considered serious

Also trying to find proof that extra doses mean more risks but can't seem to find any scientific proof of that... Did you make it up?

So yes, given what I know, extra boosters is proven to be a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Very true indeed. Although I will say nobody here is a Minister for State like Collin's. That's the worrying part about it for me. I get the 'reduce your contacts' public health "advice", I also get why people are ignoring it. What I don't understand is the constant flip flopping by NPHET and the government. This latest round of NPHET advice around children is ridiculous and makes no sense. Children are not the issue here and trying to put responsibility on them for spreading an airborne virus to 'D'vulnerable' needs to be knocked on the head ASAP.

As a parent with young children and older family members I'm quite capable of taking measures to reduce the possibility to spreading this virus. What no parent can do is know when their child has no symptoms but might have this thing. That's why we let the grandparents and other family members know when we've been out somewhere and let them decide if they want us to pop over etc.

I don't need some wally from Leinster House or NPHET to tell me what to day every day of the week. That's a complete overreach of their responsibilities.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I could be completely wrong here but isn't the main risk that someone will have been positive for covid the past couple of months, not known about as they were asymptomatic, and get a booster on top of the infection and two previous doses?

I love the optimism man and hope you are right on this one.

Yes. It would have sounded far-fetched. I didn't think it would happen. That doesn't mean anyone can spout anything on this thread by way of fear mongering and hope it'll stick.

Why would this be a risk? Potentially, a waste of a vaccine but not a safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is it possible that it is to 'encourage' vaccine take-up when it becomes available.

Have been talking to quite a few parents and none are too excited about sending their children for this vaccine.

The only people I know in real life who are gung-ho on getting children vaccinated don't have children themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If Tony told some of the lads on here to hop around their gardens on one leg while saying a Hail Mary, many of them would comply without question.

As long as they are mammied through every step of this, they will eat up whatever bullshit they are fed and ask for seconds.

Well, I think extending the vax passes onto children - since they now have proof of concept and the infrastructure is already in place - is actually far less far-fetched than the initial fear that they would be introduced for adults. I think it's a fairly real possibility, and far from 'fear mongering' to suggest it may in fact happen. We should be aware of this imo and ready to resist it if it comes to pass.

Isn't there some guidance that you shouldn't receive the vaccine if you've only recently recovered from the Rona?

There's a possibility that the message has suddenly changed recently around children being a problem due to the recent approval by NIAC for young children to get the vaccines but that sounds an awful lot like it belongs in a conspiracy theory (which to date may mean it's entirely possible).

• Advertisement

Really? Do you know how probability works? If there's a risk from something, the risk of it happening increases the more you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Vaccines are doing what they were promised to do. Reduce serious illness and death.

Jan 2021 before we really had any worthwhile numbers vaccinated we had 103,910 cases and 1,081 deaths for the month. Oct. 2021 with vaccines we have had 117,412 cases and 423 deaths. A 13% increase in cases yet a 255% reduction in deaths.

No benefit from the vaccine as will already have antibodies rather than any safety issues from my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So pissing away €50-60million for absolutely no absolutely proven benefit isn't a bad thing?

Jesus, the cavalier attitude of some on here to the shameful waste of finite recourses is breathtaking. The same lads will be out in their droves in a few years complaining when services are cut to service our debt. Does anyone seriously believe that interest rates will remain this low as infimum? We are fcuked once the rates are risen and there is already talk of inflation in the US and UK.

But yeah, fcuk it lets piss away another wad of cash to be seen to be doing something.

The architects of this will be sitting with a cozy ministerial pension, well insulated from the fall out, when you and your kids are still paying for this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

I'd agree. When it was the turn of the 20 and 30 year olds to get the vaccine all the media focus was on them. No sincerity at all about most of the messaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I don’t understand people on here saying they won’t be complying if more restrictions/lockdown is introduced. The last thing I want is more restrictions, I’m sick of Covid. But if everywhere is shut down, we will all have to? There will be nowhere to go out to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Well, if another lockdown happens, that is what will happen. At least with the pubs/restaurants.

• Advertisement

Resist how? Nothing has been resisted thus far.

To me it's clear at this point that mass noncompliance is going to be the only way we can rid ourselves of this. I was shocked at how easy people were persuaded into accepting some of these measures to be honest. I do think there must be a line somewhere that most people will not be willing to cross, perhaps it will be the exclusion of children without the Covid vaccine from aspects of ordinary life. I'm not particularly confident of that but once can hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

A lot of people around here hate restrictions, but love to cheer on or even engage in the kind of behaviour that brings on restrictions. Go figure...

The people who do follow restrictions are actually doing more to bring about an end to them than all the mouthy bluster you'll read in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

So vaccines didn't reduce cases but reduced deaths by 2.5x not quiet the 95% reduction in deaths thats claimed then?

If it was 95% effective shouldn't we only have 55~ deaths ?

Colour me shocked, your response is completely inline with the current position of the Government, NPHET and HSE.

We will all be ‘back to normal’ in Feb. The new legislation will just sail off into the sunset then. Just like the Covid passport was supposed to be finished domestically in Oct & NPHET were supposed to be wound down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ignoring most of the "milder" ones:

bells palsy

myocarditis

pericarditis

facial swelling

erythema multiforme

And those are just the ones they now acknowledge - there are many more reported but without a definite link yet. Some may prove false, some may prove true. The jury is still very much out since theres so much data to sift through and so few people doing it to follow up and confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Also specifically for myo and pericarditis, the risk is greater after the 2nd dose than the 1st - that is, more people suffer these injuries after dose 2 than dose 1. So there may even be something to be said for more vaccinations increasing the risk more than the cumulative risk expected.

Your argument was about costs which I've shown was false, are you now switching to something else? The COVID jab will be voluntary for kids, I don't envisage that changing anytime soon (until it gets rolled into the early childhood vaccination program in a few years time).

I largely agree with a lot of what you say, especially re yer man. I'm not convinced that children are not significant vectors at the moment though. To my layman's thinking, they must be, given how rampant it is in the schools. That's not "putting responsibility" on them, its just an opinion. Even if its a fact, its still not putting responsibility on them, its just they way it is. I'd rather government said that the spread in schools is the price we're willing to pay to keep schools open, or they were even more honest and said we need the childcare that schools provide.

With regard to changing advice, pretty much everyone in the world is learning as they go with this. I'd be more worried if initial beliefs were never changed with new evidence or data. I'd think very differently if our approach wasn't broadly similar to most every other western country, if we were complete outliers, then yeah, I'd be very concerned. Arguing over closing times for pubs (honestly I don't get the midnight thing making any difference) or whether X was closed 3 weeks longer than Y in the summer is pointless IMHO.

Meh, I dunno, I mean, I get that everyone is pi$$ed off with this and the last 2 years, and I'll be the first to say we haven't got everything right with this, but I do think we've got more right than wrong overall. I hate that any reasoned debate is overridden by instinctive name calling and hysterics (not by you) whenever the government or NPHET say anything at all. Like masks for kids, ECDC don't recommend it, yet the CDC in the US do in indoor settings - they can't both be right, can they ? Agreeing or not agreeing with one of those positions doesn't make the other corrupt or incompetent or whatever the latest accusation is.

And what would the detrimental outcome of that risk be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement