Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,097 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's not though is it? Why use hyperbole to try and make a point like that?

Who said any of what you just posted apart from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Why argue something that is patently clear and obvious? Life has been hindered / restricted for nearly two years, why in gods name would you argue that it hasn’t?

sometimes I need to pause and remember boards is not representative of most punters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,097 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's like going back into some Catholic time warp. Home by 12, no kissing strangers or holding hands

Show how any of how this hyperbole you posted is happening then we can discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Everything is exact same as Dec 2019? Maybe for you and your online wizards and dragons game friends……this place is the pits sometimes. Blindingly obvious and yet still arguing…..today a minister said don’t bring your kids to the panto and here we are being told nothing has changed, I despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Coppers closing at midnight

I've never been, but I wonder what the place was like before midnight on a normal weekend two years ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

From my reading of it, he's not arguing that life hasn't be hindered/restricted for nearly two years. He's saying that there hasn't been a curfew. He's right.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

If vaccinating children would suppress the virus long-term then I could understand your point of view.

Virus is widely circulating in a population that has vaccinated 90% of those eligible currently. Boosters that are affording extra protection will likely wane about the time 5 year olds are offered a vaccine. What then? Never ending ‘whack a mole’ with vaccines and boosters up and down the age groups?

Yes to vaccines by choice for individual protection and to help ease pressure on healthcare system. My point had little to do with safety - I just see mass vaccinating children for Covid as futile and an unnecessary expense. Why not mass vaccinate for pneumonia, meningitis, others?

There seems to be a confusion between what you call ‘bolloxology’ of natural immune response and natural immunity. Natural immunity affords protection after contracting and recovering from the virus. It’s an accepted scientific term.

You can check under your bed for anti-vaxxers in your own time, my conscience is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where are they going to get the capacity to pcr test all travels into the country. Its almost a defacto do not travel home to Ireland for the Christmas period.

As for no panto and play date in the same week, what a shower of muppets. Nothing to stop you going to matches, nightclubs and restaurants as many times as you like, yet they're curtialing the movements of an age group who are barely effected by covid.

And before I hear, but but but, they spread it to adults, with 94% of adulta vaccinated and over a million boosters by the end of the week, it doesn't really matter.

We were told to live with covid, and cases would raise. It now appears nphet probably never really wanted this and they are trying to reinpose restrictions through the back door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not sure were this PCR thing coming from, I believe it's an Antigen Test they are looking at 🤔

Re the Panto/Playdate thingy, you are aware it's now all the children's fault there's an average of 4,000 new cases daily🤔 it was originally Teenagers, Then the unvaccinated, Then those dastardly Eastern Europeans, back to the 5% troublesome cohort of our population (Good Man Leo) and finally its the Children's fault but of course Schools absolutely safe.

There'll be Terrible excitement in media circles all day, leaks, guesswork, expert analysis and then no doubt another inchorent speech from MM.

Later Today....

The Mica Debacle will probably get most of the headlines today.

No Subsidised Antigen Testing, but you must do one if entering the country. Honestly it was my decision, not Tony's according to Stephen Donnelly

Closure by Stealth of Childrens Play, Activity centres and of course no support.

The Hospitality Sector will get a "Sure its Grand" wink a nod your open aren't you attitude.

And sad news that Stephen Donnellys long anticipated Humpty Dumpty panto has been cancelled, he had the lead role 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wish they’d fook right off at this point over travel, this new variant has just given them an excuse to try put people off travel.

We’re heading to canaries for new year, myself and mr PC7 are both vax’d to the gills as have had our boosters, now we’ll need tests too along with the smallies. Absolute pain in the hoop and not overkill and more expense. You cannot stop an airborne virus, it’s here already.

Looking like Mandatory Hotel Quarantine coming back legisatively anyway but presumably for Non EU countries 🤔

I'm going by what I heard on the radio, but if it was antigen testing they have to be professionally administratored. Wonder which nphet member has contacts with that contract!

Yes Antigen testing professionally administered seems to be the plan 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It won't be done in Ireland, its a pre flight test and it looks like it'll be antigen

What contract? It's pre flight so the unless your out of Ireland and back within 72hrs the antigen won't be done in Ireland

Well yeah. Whatever the cost is in the country your coming from, which in some is very very little.

Okay, that makes more sense, the way it was being reported it was 3 days after you landed. Presumed it was to track it you caught it on the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No vaccine, a less transmissable variant of the virus and more restrictions on our daily lives you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Has to be done professionally though which is an utter shambles. I’m going to a football game with 15 others in the UK next week, we’d all have to book tests for the way back and what happens if one of us test positive? are there even places that do antigen tests professionally?

The reality is, the cmo doesn't want you going back and forth to football matches. He doesn't care about the logistics of how you source tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

For a while yesterday RTÉ ran with the headline:

"Playdate or Panto... but not both!"

Imagine going along with those guidelines.

"Sorry Billy you can't see your cousins til after Christmas because we already went to Jack and the Beanstalk, remember?"

As bad as the guidance is, I feel the morons who will heed that advice are worse eejits.

We're not a serious country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's so tiresomely obvious that just as they roll out the 5-11 year old vaccination system, the latest round of restrictions will all be centered around this cohort. It's a none too subtle attempt to shame and scapegoat these young kids and scare their parents into running off to the vaccination center with them.

The frightening thing is it'll probably work with a large cohort.

This has become a really disgusting country over the last 20months. It's been shameful to watch this unfold.

Front page of the Day, A Rag yes but very funny front page 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is true, and ultimately for what?

They conned adults into getting vaccinated ASAP as well with the promise of it being the road back to normality - yet here we are 18 months later and now the narrative is that vaccination isn't enough, boosters will be needed, and we should all still treat each other as potential plague carriers regardless.

All this for a virus that in the vast majority of cases has little to no effect on adults, and even less on children but here we are trying to restrict and blame them anyway because a significant portion of society have become entirely infantalised over the last decade and need every action and decision made for them.

As I've said repeatedly... If you're nervous, immunocompromised, or just uncomfortable with mixing with others, then DON'T. Limit your activities, stay home, or do whatever you need to to feel safe. But that's a very different thing to then complaining or trying to force others to feel the same way you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bloopy

The Journal on message again this morning.

On a different note, they've been doing a few odd fact checks recently on pointless stuff in the dail.

Who owns that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are likely to be a lot of annoyed parents out there, both vaccinated and not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Used to be the same crowd as Boards itself. Not sure now

Advertisement