Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will life go back to normal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

NPHET and the government promote quackery that can be disproven with statistics from the CSO, HSPC and HSE.

I'm done with your trolling bud. Facts and figures have been shown, you just don't believe them because they contradict the hysteria Claire Byrne feeds you.

Covid has genuinely killed circa 600 people who would be alive today if Covid never existed, and I know, or at least friend of a friend know, four of them (or, to apportion blame where deserved, the first cohort would still be here if Leo Varadkar didn't refuse to shut the borders because it was sacrilige of EU principles, the latter portion would be alive if Martin had decided to close the country off last December to stop the ex pats bringing the Kent variant home. He instead trusted them to stay in their rooms for two weeks)

Virtually all of the rest would as of 29/11/2021 have passed away within a few weeks of their Covid hastened death. Just because you refuse to believe that does not make it any less true.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ultimately when the people of Ireland say this is not how they want to live their lives or how they want their young to live their lives.

Until then, this government will take acquiescence for acceptance and even approval.

Ah I see the issue, you are doing 1+1 and getting 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

McGarnigle2020, you have made a claim there relating to the “true” numbers of people who have died from Covid, yet have provided absolutely no evidence or study to support that apart from your own misguided beliefs. You have shown no facts, you are engaging in the very quackery that you accuse the CMO of.

Do you know what “flatten the curve” means, and why it is regularly used when discussing infectious diseases? Are you under the impression that the term means that the virus is gone?

• Advertisement

So what do you make of the 89% who died outside of an ICU ward?

It certainly wasn't because there was no room for them. At no stage, even when we had 8000 cases per day and barely any vaccines given out, were people turned away from full ICU wards. There were always beds available. Last December and January, when we saw people being treated in ambulances in the car parks in London and up the North, we, somehow, managed. We never reached that tipping point.

I am genuinely asking- under what reason were these people not admitted to ICU wards?

Answer- because they were too ill with a pre existing illness to justify transfer.

You can obfuscate all you want, I do realise we live in the post intellectual era and we are expected to ignore science and listen to people like Greta and AOC and Paul Murphy and any other loon of the month who prefers feelings over facts, but some of us hold the maths skills and rationale we acquired in 4th class quite dear to us.

I have the figures provided by the HSPC/HSE/CMO etc to go by, what have you got to prove your point? You are speculating without any proof, show me how you know for sure that only 500 have died from Covid.

Not every critically ill patient makes it to an ICU.

What you are posting is just unsubstantiated muck, the very thing you accused the CMO of.

"Not every critically ill patient makes it to ICU"

Indeed.

Usually as a result of car crashes, heart attacks, stabbings, assaults, gunshot wounds. Y

You are aware that despite what those fake videos from Wuhan in 2020 showed, people do not generally collapse from Covid. They feel a bit off, or are a close contact of someone, they get tested, and it goes from there. They call an ambulance or doctor if they take a bad turn, the triage at the hospital deduces whether ICU or a regular ward is appropriate. If patients are sent to a regular ward and end up dying there days later the medics involved will likely face a fitness to practice hearing for gross negligence, possibly even a criminal prosecution.

At a stretch, there will be a handful of people, mostly living alone, who because they have a fear of doctors/ hospitals or because they had fell deep into conspiracy theories didn't believe Covid existed, who will have died of Covid having not sought medical attention.

The number is negligible. I would imagine it somewhere matches the percent of people who die at home of cancer every year having not once consulted a doctor out of distrust or phobia and had not a single piece of treatment bar over the counter meds.

I am not responding to your posts any longer. If you believe Ireland is missing 5500 plus elderly people who would be alive today if not for Covid, keep peddling it. It isn't true but as said we live in the post truth post intellectual era.

No more replies to your nonsense.

So know proof nor studies, just your speculation then?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Do you think at some stage the people of Ireland will say "to hell with the schools, let all the teachers get Covid", and "to hell with the hospitals and ICUs, aren't most of us ok, we just want our young people to be able to go to night clubs"?

• Advertisement

Thanks for confirming yet again that you made it all up and have nothing to actually back up your claims

It was good to get that confirmation, thanks for putting it to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To be brutally honest, yes.

Covid is evidently meaningless to the vast majority of us.

My wife is working in cancer treatment. Awash with cancellations, machine shutdowns and delayed treatment plans. Scores of healthy staff out with positive tests. Their own words. A lot of them now questioning the ethics of our national covid response. You happy with the price these people are paying?

As for the teachers, well our local school has been hit by covid. Teachers and kids all out isolating. Very little by way of any sort of meaningful illness. Everyone seems to return the same after their little stint at home.

There will be tragic exceptions. Same as with every walk of life. But the state can't expect everyone to live under this constant threat of reduced liberties largely because of state failings to use our tax money to provide fit for purpose educational and health systems

Probably never 😓

Was in one of the local chippers today,,, Used to be seating down left hand side, and behind where the counter used to be, but now the counter is going all the way across (which is easily 'rectifiable' , I suppose) but, not only that, it appears to be 'all kitchen' behind the counter - even down the left hand side, they've put in another worktop/sink area.

Now, I doubt the Italians know more than anyone else.. just don't bode well is all, regarding things 'going back to normal' ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Why would you even engage with this kind of self-appointed homeschooled virology experts. All they know is to demand links and magically sounding "provide scientific proof" or "peer reviewed study". All posts and reactions are virtually the same and when there are no arguments they usually resort to labeling or outright insults.

Why are the cancer treatment cancellations happening? Due to staff out sick, or due to hospital beds needed for Covid patients?

You seem to be suggesting that we just ignore Covid and try to work through it? What do you predict would be the effects on the hospitals, and cancer treatment, etc? And on schools?

As regards failing to use our tax money, etc., would you be prepared to pay more tax for a better health service?

Asking for data or scientific studies to back up numbers is anti-science?

There you go with 1+1=3 again

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Yes you've said that already, however, some of us would rather have a fuller picture of the facts.

You said "I would say 35 pregnant women in ICU with Covid, particularly with difficulty treating them is sobering, wouldn’t you? That would be a disproportionate number for age group and pregnancy status."

You do not have the required information to know if it's disproportionate or not, some or most of those women could have already been in vulnerable categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Life will get back to normal only if we eliminate the virus. Living with the virus is a pipe dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's never going to happen and even if it was possible it would not be worth the cost or effort.

Like all viruses that have come before they weaken and disappear.

Measles or the plague of Galen as it was called took 25% of Rome in its first wave.

• Advertisement

Marilynrr, you understand by reducing the sample to a subset with only those who have underlying illnesses while the number of pregnant women in ICU remains a constant, it makes the proportion larger?

For instance, let’s say of the 40,000 pregnant women given as an approximate by another poster, 10,000 have underlying medical conditions apart from pregnancy which make them vulnerable to a Covid infection requiring ICU, the ratio goes from the less than 1:1000 approximate (given by the other poster) to 1:286. Applying that ratio to the general population would give an equivalence of 17832 ICU admissions. So I think your point would be better served being applied to a larger sample, not a smaller one if you want to think the 35 number isn’t “sobering”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The virus wins in the end. It cannot be eliminated until it wins.

Everything we are doing is just delaying the inevitable.

The virus should be let rip. It should have been let rip during the summer when hospitals are normally quieter and we had all the elderly and vulnerable vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Problem I’ve learned during this is we are actually a weak enough nation, we’d be terrified to be lumped in with out there anti vaccine heads so we all keep our heads down.

from being ruled by London and then rome to a certain degree and laying all our problems on each Ive realized we’re aren’t bold nation like we like to convince ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭HBC08

That got 4 thanks....really?

This is quickly turning into the next restrictions thread.

@Dav010 you're fighting the good fight but why bother with measured, well thought out replies to this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gosh NO , we are horribly afraid of not going with the approved respectable consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

We don’t need to “pay more” to the health service. We already pay more per capita then most other EU citizens for our healthcare. Are you happy with the way the HSE operates? Do you think our healthcare system is fit for purpose? The HSE simply isn’t deploying the funds it gets in any way that is acceptable.

When do you expect Covid to be defeated? What can we do to defeat covid that hasn’t already been tried (and failed)? Is it acceptable to you for some reason that people be allowed to die of cancer just as long as nobody dies of covid? The majority of people who died of covid died because they were dying of something else and covid took them instead of pneumonia or renal failure or any of the other things that people die of. It’s astonishing that people have totally forgotten that everyone has to die. Of something. In the end. I’d genuinely like to hear your response.

Are you happy with the way the HSE operates? Do you think our healthcare system is fit for purpose?

You can ask the same question of any health system around the world and the locals will say its crap. Its the nature of health systems that they are never good enough for anyone

We don’t need to “pay more” to the health service. We already pay more per capita then most other EU citizens for our healthcare. Are you happy with the way the HSE operates? Do you think our healthcare system is fit for purpose? The HSE simply isn’t deploying the funds it gets in any way that is acceptable.

I don't know enough of the details around our health service to judge, or defend them. The only thing is that 50% of people pay private health insurance, and that pays for a lot of health services outside the public system, and this makes me think that finance may be an issue.

When do you expect Covid to be defeated? What can we do to defeat covid that hasn’t already been tried (and failed)? Is it acceptable to you for some reason that people be allowed to die of cancer just as long as nobody dies of covid? The majority of people who died of covid died because they were dying of something else and covid took them instead of pneumonia or renal failure or any of the other things that people die of. It’s astonishing that people have totally forgotten that everyone has to die. Of something. In the end. I’d genuinely like to hear your response.

I don't expect Covid to be defeated, I expect it will fall in line beside the flu and remain a mostly seasonal thing that transmits, like the flu, when people are together in unventilated spaces in the cold months. And we may need an expanded health service to cope with it.

No, it's not acceptable to me that people be allowed to die of cancer (that may have been the view of the poster to whom I was replying). I guess the hospitals have to treat people on a first come, first serve, basis, so if they are full of Covid patients then there are less beds for others, including cancer patients. I was arguing against the notion that we should just ignore the virus, and open up and allow our young people to live life as normal, and I was asking what that poster thought the effects on schools and the health service would be. I think we need to manage the amount of Covid going round as much as we can, with a balance of restrictions, so as to protect the health service from being overrun, and schools being shut for lack of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

There is literally nobody making the argument of “to hell with the hospitals”.

The argument has only ever revolved around the differing views people have as to the appropriate balance between preserving life and enjoying life. That’s the key word — balance. Nobody ...nobody at all... is actually advocating that the wholesale abandonment of the interests of the health service or schools is in any way whatsoever a viable way forward. It’s simply a difference in opinion as to whether the outright prolongation of life (considering that the vast majority of Covid fatalities are people at or well beyond life expectancy, or have other comorbidities they wouldn’t have avoided anyway) is a prize that is worth restricting the very essence of what being alive is actually about — enjoying it.

I notice on this thread that there seems to be an assumption of a political constant. The fact is, given enough time and given enough constant resorting to moral absolutism by those who decry sceptics of the Covid policy as cold hearted, the day eventually comes when frustration among the public translates into mainstream politics. And I just hope we don’t hang on to this moral absolutism long enough for the political incentive on public anger towards restrictions to be seized by those with a more dangerous broad agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Advertisement