Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will life go back to normal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Back to normal.

If you consider the UK's 7 day average of 43,482 new cases normal, by all means move there. You too can become a statistic.

current new cases of covid 19 in uk - Google Search

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-in-10-covid-19-patients-admitted-to-icu-died-says-report-1.4719379+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

"Of the 1,813 people admitted to ICU with the virus between early April and late October 2020, 530 died, the report said."

I don't know how familiar you are with hospital protocol, but I'll tell you.

If a person who is terminally ill takes a bad turn, they are stabilised, given pain relief etc.

They are not put in ICU, as prolonging their survival is at this stage pointless.

A reasonably fit and healthy 92 year old who catches Covid would be put in an ICU. A 32 year old in the final weeks of stage 5 cancer who catches Covid would not be put in ICU. That's how it works.

Of the 5500 plus dead from Covid, just 530 of the deaths were among people who doctors believed stood a chance of going on to lead an active life post Covid if they recovered.

Every last one of the other 5000 Covid deaths would be, as of November 28th 2021, deceased by now regardless.

The vast majority would have died within weeks, months.

Terminally ill prisoner weeks from dying of cancer, is down as a Covid death.

This is the level of book cooking you are dealing with. This man was on his way out. Covid hastened it by a few weeks.

Your link is borked, got another one?

Regarding your strawman argument about the cancer patient, if he died in a car crash would you be put out if his death was listed as such rather than cancer? No of course you wouldn't because it would make sense. The same logic applies here wrt covid cases.

It's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question. The answer is we don't really know.

My guess is that it will go back to normal gradually, and as we get more certainty that we have a backstop of pharmaceutical antivirals that can take the strain off the healthcare system. The vaccines are obviously doing a great job, but we need both in the armoury.

We have two of those now from Pfizer and Merck, and more will inevitably follow.

There's a way to go yet. My view of it is we're going to just have to just grin and bear it as there isn't really anything else we can do. It could be worse, it's not WWII, but in terms of economic and social impact it's right up there with some of the biggest events in modern history. I think we've become so used to it over the last couple of years that we are beginning to lose perspective on just how dramatic an event this is.

It's frustrating and infuriating but we're dealing with an adapting pathogen and all anyone can do is roll with it and try our best to figure a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Twitter super wanker Philip o Connor, he's not a journalist anymore than Ryan Tubridy is a Mr Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Do we know anything about these womens health other than the fact they are pregnant?

I just did a quick search and found something from 2010 from a Dublin study which said 19% of pregnant women were obese at their first antenatal visit, it was 25% in Galway.

Then of course there are other health issues that the women may have had before they even got pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Every time I read posts like this? ,My extended family have lost 4 strong healthy members with no other health issues, and others are left long term disabled with Long Cpvid...

There are several deserted islands around our coasts ideal for folk like you who are oblivious to and a danger to others. After all you clearly intend to ignore rules to safeguard others

Oh and you think that because folk who were already coping with illness and who die then because of covid should not be seen as covid victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes we do know something else apart from pregnancy status, none of them had taken the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not using gript as your news sources is correlated with being less misinformed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How many members of these people were fully vaccinated?

What age were they?

Had they health conditions that they themselves or you weren't aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I said 2024 in summer 2020. Nothing I've seen so far makes me think it will be before then at the earliest.

Are you under the assumption that Grace did the autopsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Variants were predicted from the first day the virus was sequenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well she should have said there vaccinaton status if she knew it.

Age also is a another factor to be taken into consideration and nothing to to do with the autopsy.

Describing a person as strong can very vague in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Pre electionJoe Biden and Harris told us all a rushed vaccines would fail. They were right.

The R0 of a new variants just keep going up.

"This virus has surprised us a lot. It is beyond anything we feared," said Dr Aris Katzourakis, who studies viral evolution at the University of Oxford. "The fact it has happened twice in 18 months, two lineages (Alpha and then Delta) each 50% more transmissible is a phenomenal amount of change."

It's "foolish", he thinks, to attempt to put a number on how high it could go, but he can easily see further jumps in transmission over the next couple of years. Other viruses have far higher R0s and the record holder, measles, can cause explosive outbreaks

Plus it wont get weaker anytime soon.

"One thing that is often claimed, but attracts scientific scorn, is that the virus must get milder in order to spread more easily. There is very little evolutionary pressure on the virus for that to happen. The virus is already off into the next person long before it kills the person it infected. And the people who do the most spreading (younger people) are those who don't get very ill."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57431420

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is not very popular and everyone refuse to touch this topic but from what we know about covid and similar diseases obesity looks to be one of the main factors determining your covid experience and chance of survival. Since that is not a stuff where we can improve quick as our fastfood obsession and unwillingness to put effort in preparing food we consume, covid related restrictions and disruptions are here to stay for a very long time.

I copy pasted a paragraph from the article. Go Google it and find the article yourself. You won't believe it anyway so I'm nt gonna spoon feed you, I already showed you the most relevant part.

re your car crash scenario- that might be relevant if Eamon Ryan demanded we all stop driving to prevent car crash deaths.

Actually, don't be giving him ideas.....

• Advertisement

You are aware that Gript are reporting a study, they didn't commission an in house one themselves.

Who do you regard as a more reliable bastion of truth?

Claire Byrne? Pat Kenny? Joe Duffy?

All absolute spoofers who regularly give a national platform to peddlers of pseudoscientific woo.

I sorted your link but its paywalled

I googled and found plenty of articles on the topic, but none which back up your claim, which I can only conclude was made up, unless you want to provide a source that can actually be examined and verified

You have my sympathy. I know of two definites, possibly three or four, people who have died of ICU of Covid. One only in his 30s, was a bit overweight and asthmatic but nothing more than that.

However, the statistics from HSPC.ie and the HSE make it clear that it is a coincidental statistical anomaly. Much like how most of us will never know a sex murderer, yet there are people in small town Baltinglass who were in the same class as two of them (Larry Murphy and David Lawlor). Or for a less dramatic example, how most people will never personally know an Irish football international, yet hundreds of teenagers can probably say they knowy three of them of roughly the same age from the small Lucan- Leixlip area alone. Highly unlikely numerical coincidences do happen- I happen to know, or at least know second hand, somewhere between 0.5 and 1% of people in Ireland who died in ICU from Covid, who would be alive if it never existed. That takes nothing away from the fact that we are counting thousands of people who were already days or weeks from death as a Covid death. It is absolute madness.

Read the Google cache article if you have used up your weekly IT credits so, can be read for free via that.. What part, exactly are you unsure of?

11% of Irish Covid deaths have happened in an ICU. 89% on general hospital wards, nursing homes, hospices.

Terminally ill patients will not be transferred to ICU from nursing homes, hospices and general hospital wards. There is no moral reason to prolong the suffering of someone already desperately ill with, say, lung cancer, by sending them to ICU if they catch Covid.

Residents of nursing homes and general wards who not already on the brink of death will, if needs be, be transferred to ICU if they catch Covid and take a particularly bad turn.

Exactly what part of that do you not understand?

More whataboutery and strawman arguments and little in the way of verifiable facts or data.

Let me show you. For example, in terms of health and pre-existing conditions, the vaccine has a large role to play with 93% of the pop (over 18) vaccinated, with 7% not vaccinated.

A study by the CSO of 136 recent ICU patients revealed the following

In terms of ICU patients, that 7% is accounting for 54% of all ICU admissions (73 patients)

Of those 54%, the median age is 54 and 30% (22 patients) of them had no underlying condition, whereas 97% of the vaccinated patients did

So the truth is a bit more nuanced and the answers lie in the data. By all means, feel free to post any data or studies you come across

Here is the CSO collection if you want to have a read

Exactly what part of that do you not understand?

Just looking for you to back up this statement with some actual, verifiable data or admit you made it up

Of the 5500 odd "Covid deaths", only circa 500 of these people would still be with us if Covid did not exist.

Where did I mention vaccines? I'm not particularly sold on them, but I had mine, I don't campaign against them.

HPSC.ie screenshot on my phone, HSPC report from October 26tth 2021.

Deaths- 5432

Hospitalised who died- 2994

ICU deaths- 595 (11%)

Not admitted to ICU who died- 4837 (89%)

If you believe I'm making that up, go on ahead. I already linked an Irish Times article that broadly corresponds with the figures given. 89% of patients were ruled as ineligible for ICU treatment, as per the HSPC.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-in-10-covid-19-patients-admitted-to-icu-died-says-report-1.4719379+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

"Of the 1,813 people admitted to ICU with the virus between early April and late October 2020, 530 died, the report said." (I'm assuming October 2020 is a typo and actually means October 2021)

You might be better taking your concerns to the HSPC or the Irish Times seeing as you don't seem to believe their maths.

Can you provide a link to a reputable study that supports your statement on Covid deaths? The one you linked to on Grift clearly states it is not peer reviewed, in big red keso cannot be considered as reputable.

There is huge irony in what you have provided so far given your accusations relating to NPHET, and the CMO using pseudoscience and quackery. So far you are the only one to use such “science” to support your statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Dr Tony Holohan: 'We think we've flattened that curve so much that there is no peak - April 2020

Leo varadkar "Two weeks to flatten the Curve" - May 2020

Advertisement