Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was surprised hearing one of the podcasts I l listen to mention that they're sponsored by the Saudi GP. That's one way to make sure there is no discussion of human rights.

Might have been The Race and might have been Missed Apex. Not sure which. Interesting approach by Saudi though.

The Race yeah. They (the Saudis) will be doing whatever they can to control the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

More videos have surfaced of Mercedes rear wing flexing. I'd say it won't be on the car for last two races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Wonder how much they can actually crank the engine to

• Advertisement

I'm wondering if the engine is a red herring. Might not be as powerful as being speculated. The new engine and flex wing combined seems to where the extra performance has come from.

That's a huge gain from a new but "standard" engine and a "mildly" flexing wing.

They used the turkey engine in Qatar. They're using the Brazil engine again in the next race. It'll only be on its second race so could be a serious advantage over Max who is still on his Russia engine, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really hope RB can pull something out of the bag pace wise to at least be competitive in the last 2 races.

It’s great to have a championship going to the wire but if Mercedes keep up their pace advantage I don’t know if there’ll be much spectacle involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

any links to the merc wing irregularities ? please and thanks

• Advertisement

Gpblog.com had a link to a video on twitter from Motorsports Exposure.

Video is very choppy, bit like the video of Hamiltons steering wheel moving. It could be just some frames edited and be fake.

They're throwing money everywhere. Aramco sponsored one of the last few races. F1 eSports last night they were plastered all over it as well. Since there's only half a dozen decent sized creators they're mostly in on it. There's The Race in the pocket, WTF1 guy (**** hate him) crosses over with the eSports stuff so is partly paid by them. Josh Revell (not a huge fan) doesn't seem to be there yet but has done a guest video for the official F1 channel. Couple of other guys rarely break 50k views so can pretty much say what they like for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Red Bull is not a likeable team. It does not have a long, historic tradition in the sport like McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari or Williams and is really just a personal plaything of Dietrich Matescihtz and a marketing tool for his company. For those reasons alone I support Mercedes in the championship battle and hope Lewis Hamilton wins the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

I disagree. Objectively Mercedes and RB are two sides of the same coin, two racing powerhouses that act in a very similar way, like when someone complains about Horner doing something Wolff would do the exact same in that situation and vice-versa.

I also think it’s a bit disingenuous to write off the team as a plaything and a marketing tool. I think all F1 teams are marketing tools in some respects, and I think it’s very difficult to argue that Red Bull hasn’t contributed to the sport.

According to then fan survey: "McLaren have risen to the top of the pile when fans were asked to name their favourite team with 29.5% of the vote, ahead of Red Bull (19.8%), with Ferrari (17.9%) dropping from first to third and Mercedes (11.9%) down to fourth."

Mercedes is little over half as popular as Red Bull. But they're all pretty much exclusively marketing tools. There's a notion the F1 carries nobility or something other than selling things through marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

Red Bull has shown more dedication to F1 than a lot of the major manufacturers, they have been involved with sponsorship since 1995. Mercedes are in there for the same reasons as Red Bull and Ferrari - to sell their products. McLaren may look like the exception, but they've sold almost every asset they have to keep going. 600 million lost last year, 35 the year before and 60 the year before that. Its a matter of when, not if for McLaren to go the way of Williams.

Yeah it's all marketing but at least Red Bull have always made an effort to have some fun and be interesting, whether it's silly test runs or parties in Monaco.

Mercedes just came in (people can **** off talking about their proud history of racing. It's a name and that's about it. If you want to look at lineage of the F1 organisation it was Tyrell (back runners for 15 years) then owned by a tobacco company (marketing?) then Honda for a couple of years before they **** themselves. Red Bull took over from Ford/Jag which had been started by the legend Jackie Stewart.

They're all pretty corporate just in different ways. Ferrari is like a collective of people who've only ever read The Art of War and Atlas Shrugged. Williams are bumbling along, more focussed on off-road tech now it seems. McLaren are expanding as suppliers for other series (and even some road car components), and I think they would struggle to over-value the effect Lando has had for them. Alpine are again literally a marketing tool having been renamed for a marque I doubt many even F1 fans had heard about before. And I'm not arsed talking about the rest. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mercedes-Benz have been an engine supplier in F1 for as long as Red Bull have been a sponsor, if not longer. Look at their commitment to Formula E, or lack there of. Driver and constructors champions and still pulling out after only 3 years. They spent almost 2 before that announcing their impending arrival.

One things for sure, this isn't some side project for the Daimler group.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Red Bull have 2 teams in F1 and have shown much more commitment to F1 than many of the big automotive names. Not liking them because they don't have a "long, historic tradition" in F1 is a bit irrational. As for them being there as a marketing tool, that goes for every team in F1.

Their engine drop off is still quite high, so it will be "fast" but probably not Brazil fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It doesn't help that we're not in the mood to listen to a Brit whine about how mean his European counterpart is.

For the sake of getting back on the fence, Merc are just as unbearable when they claim to be underdogs.

I was skeptical with RB barking on about this...but this video is quite strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Ya, Red Bull and the FIA haven't cracked how it's illegal but this is the guy we should all be listening to with a 120p video...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

The point, as it went over your head, is post a credible source with the same video with better quality besides a lunatic on twitter. Nobody else is using this as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes, Red Bull has shown commitment to and contributed to the development of many forms of motorsport throughout the world. I think the same could be said of Merc, Renault and McLaren. Ferrari, less so - their focus is only on F1. At least those along with Aston Martin are in the business of manufacturing automobiles. Red Bull sell energy drinks. I don't know if Mateschitz is a real motor racing fan indulging his true passion or not. He could just have easily bought Manchester United.

McLaren have two pretty talented drivers that are really fun guys and seem to have a big draw on social media, i get the feeling that its especially for younger audiences. Great stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah, a climate change denier isn't exactly the best source for anything really.

The video hasn't been edited. You are taking issue with the account and not the content.

RB have presented similar evidence to the FIA, hence the new wing tests. I don't care much for the twitter account, but the video itself is quite interesting, wouldn't you say?

• Advertisement

The video does give the FIA something to look at. They've already increased the load tests in Qatar. Whether they are still not doing real world loads in the right locations is up for debate.

Don't the FIA still have the wing from Brazil too? I hope we are not going to see another secret sweetheart deal like Ferrari got with their engine. If it's flexing then issue a new technical directive and let the public know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement