Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He doesn't need to DNF -- he fucked up in Baku this season, Hockenheim a couple of years ago. Saved by a red flag in Imola this year.

If this season has taught us anything, the form book is not reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He DNFed the Italian GP this year after the collision with Max.

On Ted's notebook yesterday he mentioned that the talk in the paddock is that the development of the new cars for next year shows they will be at least as fast as this years ones despite the simplified aero and initial talk that they'd be a good bit slower. Seemingly the engineers have found flexibility in the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anything could happen right up to the chequered flag. A bodged pitstop could even decide the title.

I hope it goes to the final race and its a clean fight with no controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So do I, but you know this forum by now, if Hamilton wins, the excuses to "cancel" the achievement are already there. "It's the car, he cheated in Silverstone, the car must be illegal, Toto has dirt on Jean Todt......."🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If by recent history you mean recent races, it is 2-2 in the last 4. Barring Hungry where he was torpedoed, he has finished 1st or 2nd this year. But I am with you in not putting a bet on anything. Only reliability question mark is over Merc with all the new lines they have taken, but sounds like they at least have the reliability sorted, their performance drop off is rumoured to still be the same though.

My blood pressure isn't liking this season, but I am. Still rooting for Max as well, I have a feeling he will use clinch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hopefully, though to be honest if the merc has similar warpspeed capabilites next year it might not make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Hoping max can win but it's all coming up Hamilton in recent races. Mercedes and Hamilton have been faultless and the engine swap was a masterstroke. I hate to say it but if they pull it off, they deserve it. Granted verstappen was unlucky in Hungary and I was on verstappens side after the Silverstone incident

• Advertisement

Hamilton will have the "spicy" Brazil engine back in the car for Saudi Arabia according to to Toto.

They don’t even slightly deserve it. RB have worked their arses off to massively reduce the performance gap between the cars. Max has had a near perfect season and his team have nailed the pit stops and strategy 99% of the time or at least more than Mercedes have. If it wasn’t for Bottas destroying Max’s car in Hungary, Hamilton sending Max to the wall at Silverstone and also the cheeky engine swap for which they received effectively no penalty Max would be out of sight in the drivers championship. Lewis has had a poor season by his standards but he has all the luck as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Didn't Red bull do a 'cheeky' engine swap for max at some stage too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

talk about having a one sided opinion.

sour grapes much.

hope Hamilton wins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I believe Red Bull had to due to the damage sustained after the crash in Silverstone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah, exploiting engine rules that were designed to stop rich teams taking multiple fresh engines, but didn't account for the bonus of the fresh engine outweighing the weakness of the penalty. Running a trick illegal rear wing to further add to the advantage. Lewis taking Max out and nearly killing him at Silverstone, worth a 32 point swing on the day and more points at Russia when Max took a penalty because of the engine damage. Bottas taking out both Red Bulls at Hungary. Mercedes successfully lobbying to get the rules changed to trip up Red Bull on pitstops which led directly to a pit problem that put Max from being comfortably ahead of Lewis to right in his path at Monza.

Not to mention Max's tyre explosion when comfortably leading at Baku and the extremely spurious penalty for a rogue martial sticking a flag out as he passed while there was no official yellow flag zone at Qatar robbing him of a chance of fighting for victory. The Mercedes is far faster than the Red Bull but Max has been on a different planet to Lewis, if he'd started on the front row at Qatar he had a chance of taking the lead into turn 1 and holding it like he did against faster Mercs who locked out pole at Mexico and Austin, but once he was starting further back the result was inevitable.

It's hard to think of a single mistake Max has made this season, while Lewis has put it in the wall at Imola, thrown away a gifted win by going off at Baku, thrown away a gifted win by being the only driver on the grid who couldn't read the weather at Hungary. Max hasn't finished behind Lewis in a race without being taken out or penalties and engine changes being involved since round four of the championship and the only reason Lewis is not 50+ points behind in the standings right now is a combination of his dirty driving, Bottas lending a hand creating pile ups of his own, Mercedes using exploits and completely ignoring the spirit of the engine regulations, and their aerodynamicists playing dirty tricks with their rear wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Whilst I am rooting for RB and Max to win the championship, one thing I will say is I think the season has rejuvenated Hamilton's passion for the sport. He is noticeably happier in interviews and seems a lot more focused and determined than previous seasons when he pretty much had to just show up to run into the sunset. It's nice to see tbh as I almost felt sorry for him last season watching some of his monotone, repetitive interviews trying to make an easy victory sound exciting.

Hopefully next season with the reg changes will prove as exciting!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You seem to have forgotten that Max was literally gifted a win and an extra 5 points at Spa.

Don't be bitching that Hamilton has all of the luck when Max's lead would be much smaller only for that farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭barryribs

Top quality response there, 10/10 (apologies if you’re under 12)

• Advertisement

They had to take a new one after the silverstone one was written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I'm just glad we have a championship fight on our hands with 2 races left. May the best driver win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

There is so much wrong with this that it defies belief!

How you can possibly claim to be neutral is astoundingly unbelievable!

Love the claim that RB f**ked up a pitstop at Monza and then Max in typical Max fashion decided he'd rather crash than back out of a corner to continue the fight after coming out behind Lewis, and this was all a diabolical scheme by Mercedes.That's a level of bias towards Max that even Jos Verstappen would struggle to reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

Comparing both teams it’s not even close, RB have been superior for most of the season. Mercedes are in this title race from continually benefitting from penalties as much as they are from team performance.

Except even before the last 2 races Mercedes had the fastest car over the season and then had massive time in hand on those two tracks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

Fastest car maybe but over the course of the season RB have had the better overall performance, better pitstops and better strategy. And such was their desperation they relied again on benefitting from penalties to put a rocket on the car that only needed to last maximum 4 races, which is a strategy they couldn’t have employed without the DNF/9th place from Verstappen. Less team ingenuity, more throwing money at the problem.

Post edited by McFly85 on

Yeah, Red Bull have had to outperform what they have, Mercedes are just returning to their mean. I wish I could remember which video it was but I've seen in multiple places that Mercedes had the fastest car up til a race or two ago and they're getting more benefit out of it.

There's gobshites talking a load of rubbish about Hamilton, there's (presumably) autistic people who can't understand why someone would cheer for an young underdog against an old driver who has dominated. Simple facts are that Mercedes have the fastest car and are in absolutely no way underdogs this year or at a disadvantage.

One little bit of opinion though, I mentioned earlier in the season Hamilton to me looked like he wasn't quite at his peak. I'm not the only one (judging from endless articles and videos) that would say Hamilton has looked a lot more "up for it" the last couple of weeks and lo and behold in the last 2 races he's just gone back to smashing Bottas by half a second in qualifying. If he'd had those couple of tenths boost all season the title would likely be done and dusted in his favour by now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That poster claimed Hamilton intentionally tried to kill Max at Silverstone, and is best ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think RB have been great this year, and the points dropped were out of their control (Silverstone and Hungry). ax was only 6 points ahead after Turkey and I thought that was it, but he nailed Austin which should have been a Merc track all over.

These last 2 races should be great for the spectacle alone. SA sounds like the paint will still be wet on the walls when the teams arrive, and Abu Dhabi will be a tad unknown with the new layout, and all teams will be pushing the limits on performance and reliability.

Overall, I think Max deserves it and I am rooting hard for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement