Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion in America

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Heard it all before. People like you only give a f*ck until the child is born and after that it's the mother's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

Faugheen the machine , great horse , but you couldn't be wider of the mark , your argument holds no weight, the life that's born has every right to flourish and it's up to society to make sue it does , and if it doesn't well , what does that say about us 😪

Such a bullshit response , they're are a host of drugs that address that issue , allowing the murder of a baby up to 28 weeks, is evil , we've a heartbeat after a month , choice is a euphemism for murder 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"the life that's born has every right to flourish and it's up to society to make sue it does"

But that's not what happens in America, there is little to no social care for poor people.

As for

"they're are a host of drugs that address that issue"

You mean abortion drugs? Because that's how 99% of abortions take place you know.

So abortion is an affliction of the poor , 🙄 , that's bull ! It's an inconvenience to girls on the corporate ladder !

• Advertisement

No, being forced to give birth to a child you cannot afford to raise is an affliction of the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Abortion, by definition, does not affect 'the life thats born'

Ok, lets give them a say. Lets ask the clump of cells or mindless embryo:

If you don't want us to abort you, wag your tail three times?

Give them a fair chance, ya know?

BTW, if abortion on demand is wrong, is there another kind of abortion that is less wrong? maybe forced abortion? Where women are given abortions they didn't ask for? or maybe the woman needs to buy a lottery ticket and if they're lucky, they might win an abortion?

Or is it only wrong if the man demands the abortion but the woman wants to keep it? good point, you're on to something there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I wish people will stop mistaking procedural issues for a 'decision on the merits'. Even the oral arguments here have nothing to do with the merits of abortion itself, as was the case for the 'non-action' by the court last month. Every single Justice here can strike down the Texas law on the basis of its basically rendering Constitutional protections irrelevant, whilst next month every Justice can declare abortion to be unlawful without being in any way contradictory or wavering on their original decision.

The only two Justices who did not openly display any skepticism of the Texas statute were Gorsuch and Alito, but they didn't exactly chime in with overwhelming support either.

I don't think anyone was really expecting SB8 was going to survive the Supreme Court. Not because of anything to do with abortion, but because allowing it to stand would remove the Court of its teeth. To their credit, whoever came up with the SB8 concept was a legal genius, and his/her logic may actually be correct, but correct or not, I don't see how the legal structure can realistically survive such a shock to its system and it must be shot down. Only a judge who will take to extremes 'follow the law as written and damn the consequences' would write an opinion allowing such a private enforcement structure to survive.

Nothing to do with poverty ,most abortions are because the baby is an inconvenience to corporate advancement , a very small number because the child may have down syndrome , fuckin Swedes puff their chests out " we've eliminated down syndrome " , disgusting , the safest place for a child is theirs mothers womb !

• Advertisement

To coin a phrase " well leave it there so " it's an emotive issue , and I'm gonna settle down with steely Dan live in America 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this claim was previously debunked, hundreds of times.

its essentially one of the machine like scripted rants often spat out, but which are for the most part untrue as a whole.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

you can't be bothered because you can't think of a good response.

that post is absolutely ridiculous and you know it. easy for you to sit and say that especially considering it won't be yourself attending pre natal checks, dealing with morning sickness, pregnancy hormones, cravings, weight gain putting a strain on your back & to end this because it could go on for days the emotional and physical strain giving birth puts on a woman. there's also the potential she may die or require emergency cesarean which is major surgery.

but yeah the man should definitely have a say.

shocking as it might be we don't need a say in everything and those days are long gone. no man has any business in telling a woman or even being involved in the decision of having an abortion unless otherwise requested by the woman who may want it. I couldn't care less if it was their husband, dad or favourite uncle.

by your reasoning two people get married, wife gets pregnant she wants to terminate the husband won't consent she's stuck with a baby she doesn't want, I expect her to resent the husband for making her go through that torture (and despite not giving birth, what with being a man) I've been there for my partner on both occasions and she will describe it as hell.

it's all in all between conception and being fully healed after a good 11-12 months of absolute hell for most women and how dare you suggest that any man has a say - let alone the right to make the decision alongside them when they to experience none of the torment women need to endure for that 11 odd months.

I'm not even a woman and I am **** sick to death of hearing men talk about what's best for women or what they want. sorry, but **** what you want because you're just standing and watching. go push a human out of your dick hole and come talk to me about how you deserve a say then.

just get to **** with that bollocks.

Couldn't resist another look 😁, all I say is , old bowie "John I'm only dancing ", but IMHO , let's dance , produced by a man who gave us some of the best dance music , but nearly didn't make it , his heroin addicted mother thought about abortion, thankfully didn't , himself and Edwards, made tunes no one else could replicate, inspired by Roxy smarts , although a battler , when he first came to Dublin, a recovering alcoholic , fuckin clown bono sends him a basket with Guinness & Bailey's, it's Stevie Ray Vaughan that makes that album , good nite & god bless

Sorry , that was my point , the world's a better place because of Nile Rodgers, abortion would have deprived us , so there has to be an alternative !

is your argument pro life? and if so is the foundation of that argument honest to god David Bowie?

Lord have mercy.

No , Nile Rodgers mum , who considered an abortion, a heroin addict who didn't think she could raise a child , thankfully she didn't, the joy that man has brought us 🕺🕺🕺

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

"What does that say about us?"

Hmmm, well let me think about that old chestnut for a brief moment.

Could it say, that perhaps we are already living on an overpopulated planet, with global resources currently stretched to breaking point? That we are destroying the environment with our grand attempts to help everyone "flourish"?

Or maybe that it's not the sole responsibility of society, to make sure every unplanned childbirth results in a "flourishing" human being. That perhaps there is some inherent personal responsibility in whether that grand project has a realistic chance of success. If not, then perhaps abortion is the logical and responsible action.

Maybe it says that some of us would like the individual to have some control over the picture they choose to paint in life. Rather than this archaic paint-by-numbers outdated world view, that individuals such as yourself like to propagate? Maybe, just maybe, it's that?

People seem very ignorant to the fact that even this current pandemic is quite likely one of the major end results of global population explosion. Disease is a natural byproduct of human overpopulation. (or any creature for that matter)

And one of the next most likely consequences is war. It is very likely we will see global wars over diminishing resources. This is pretty much inevitable according to many experts the way we are currently going as a species.

But then, all these people who you think should always be given a chance at life - regardless of the environment they are being brought into - will have a grand purpose. Just like many of our ancestors in history, we can hand them a rifle and send them off to another great important war!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

You do realise that your post Is just as strong an argument against helping heroin addicts get off heroin as it is for making abortion illegal again.

Nail Rogers wouldn't have been born if his mother Wasn't heroin addict. Her life would have been different and she would not have conceived him in the first place, but even if he was born, his life would have been so different he could have ended up being an accountant or bicycle repair man...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can say the exact thing about rape.

"XYZ was conceived as a result of rape and wouldn't have been born if their mother had had an abortion." But they wouldn't have been born if not for the rape, either, so these people are really just cheerleading rapists.

None of us had a right to be conceived or to be born. All of us are only here because of the merest chance, if any of the other millions of sperm had made it instead we wouldn't be here. Oh and a huge proportion of pregnancies naturally never make it past the legal time limit for abortion here... and worldwide the vast vast majority of abortions happen during that period, too.

Then you have the hyperventilating morons going on about "murder", do we have funerals and death certs for the natural miscarriages? It's nonsense, even the 1861 legislation we had until a few years ago did not regard abortion as murder.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Actually I said why I couldn't be bothered.. but then, that's the norm with responses like yours, you're in such a rush to burn the heretics that you fail to consider what they've said, as opposed to what you wanted them to say.

You make it sound like marriage is some kind of prison, with women being unable to negotiate, or even leave if they want to. If a woman wants an abortion and the man doesn't, then, it's no different from a dozen other serious arguments/negotiations that a couple might have.

This isn't about telling women what to do with their bodies. This is about representation for men, because they will be required to be involved once the choice to have the child is made. In many western countries there is the legal requirement for them to be involved, financially or otherwise... and it makes sense, to me at least, that they should have other involvement considering how much a birth or abortion would affect them.

As for all your **** this and **** that... It's a pretty good reason why I left the thread on page 2, because people on abortion threads often turn into little ****, with no respect for others opinions, assuming some kind of misplaced moral superiority, and with the belief that woman's biological rights trump everyone else's. I don't think it should. A difference of opinion.. Shocking as that sounds.

And no... I'm not back posting in the thread... I did find it interesting that you decided to quote a post of mine from a thread I hadn't contributed since early September, and chose something from page 2 out of a 7 page thread. Says a lot about your reasons for posting this piece of supposed outrage.

Ah it didn’t take long for someone to start screaming ‘MURDER!’

You’d call a woman who became pregnant after being raped a murderer for deciding to terminate that pregnancy.

What's worrying for America now is that one of the states (Mississippi?) Is going to directly challenge Roe v Wade in the coming weeks.

So you highlighted what some anti-choice person would say when you claim to be pro-choice?

That’s not quite adding up, the fact you would take issue with my post instead of the post I was replying to.

You said you are in favour of abortion up to 12 weeks.

That makes you pro-choice. Get off the fence.

There is nothing wrong with either of those terms.

Anti-choice and pro-abortion are the antagonistic remarks.

Either way, your declaration of you being in favour of abortion up to a certain point makes you pro-choice, because you claim to be in favour of a woman making that choice in the first 12 weeks. There’s nothing tribalistic about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Nile Rodgers mother was 14 when he was born. Don't feed the troll.

would he? that is interesting given he hasn't done this at all.

it's amazing how you can tell that people said things they never said, and tell people that they said things they never said.

it's like as if you are actually making things up and wanting to believe certain things were said or happened.

the poster didn't do what you claim.

he took issue with your post because it's mostly baseless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is about representation for men, because they will be required to be involved once the choice to have the child is made. In many western countries there is the legal requirement for them to be involved, financially or otherwise... and it makes sense, to me at least, that they should have other involvement considering how much a birth or abortion would affect them.

Should've thought of that before blowing their load, tbh.

To either try to coerce a woman into an abortion to evade child support or force her to go through a pregnancy and birth against her will are both extremely abhorrent.

It's her decision, and hers alone, get over it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement