Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending of the Common Agricultural Policy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

About 40 m from the house a couple planted 30 acres which would be better than the land I'm farming and built a house on it, they figured out after finishing the house they didn't want to live in it and it's left now. Other side of the farm another 30 acres was planted which was easily accessible for our cows. Both have devalued their assets by at least a half, while one has practically devalued completely their asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

When cattle drop it in the field it's not fresh?

It's stuff like this that does so much damage to Green movements, just even in those of us who are very conscientious about the environment and will take a big hit financially to do that.

Arguing over the minutiae of adding organic matter to the soil.

Meanwhile hop over to the next thread and talk up the vital need to lock carbon in the soil and the importance of organic matter in soil but never join the dots.

All manure needs to break down, fresh or old, they feed the same worms, Just because you see it in one, doesn't mean that the worms don't eat the other shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was just explaining to him what he likely read and misinterpreted. If you have a slurry tank full of slurry you might as well leave it for the few weeks. It's not really relevant to the discussion on earthworms. It would be in case there are pathogens that other cattle would pick up.

Similarly, for the FYM, the worms don't care that it is fresh. It will be better though for management of the land to have it already somewhat broken down before spreading. If it is fresh in a heap out of the shed then the worms just won't have "moved in" yet.

Look they left shi7 on the road and should have brushed it off, but the fact that they were spreading slurry on it shows they were putting back in.

I've seen enough mud and shi7 this year alone. No need, thanks though.

Did your friend grow up in an urban environment, the more aloof side of town at that.

Are they just more perturbed by the reality of nature, rural life, and organic matter, the proles with dirt on the hand.

Hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Rotting FYM interferes with nitrogen levels in the soil, Any recommendations you see regarding FYM is usually for well rotted FYM for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah, breaking down the straw can actually waste nitrogen. I wasn't going into too much details to explain because I just wanted to get across that it wasn't because for the worms benefit that it was being left. They wouldn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭green daries

Horse **** my good friend your full of it no ordinary horticulture course would spend time running down another enterprise without a dubious motive

Yes yes I'm an Algerian prince I am willing to invest huge sums into your garden send me your bank details 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Now that would be some pain in the nuts keV I would crack up

Planning permission is advertised on a paper up the country so that locals don't object. Secondly the two people that planted don't live anywhere near it. They were very ill advised, now are going mad as guys are letting horses into their land now as its known their not around. Eventually making their way into the land here, I've had a few run in s with the horsey guys who are if a special breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am curious to know why you think the property will be devalued... what type of trees are there...

We think this project will enhance the piece of ground and likely add value to the property as there is a really good house on it....

This idea of planting is not set in stone and if someone came along and said they wanted to farm it in a kindof traditional manner it would not happen...

This year for example there was silage taken 2 times... sheep now...

I know i am making points in favor of planting but we are really also looking at any alternative before planting takes place...

Post edited by maestroamado on

I expect you head in the same trough as the people who did the damage... i have enough friends but thanks for the offer...

The course did not run-down the industry as you say and stated that the solution going forward was less meat... there was no motive... just a different way of doing which i not have any opinion on as i eat the meat farmers produce...

I know from personal experience we are are unsustainable in this country as we produce alot more expensive meat that quite alot of our population can hardly afford so we export excess... Our veg production is pretty limited as i think most imported...

So someone here will likely know... but for me it seems like 90% of our meat is exported and 90% of our veg is imported...

My friend would rather not plant trees but the people her has been dealing with have an "attitude" just like your goodself...

It was suggested i lied but i have the pics if anyone wants to see... that's the trouble with you lot when you get caught you revert to silly stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Post the pics and stop trying to appear mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Forestry land is worth a lot less than agri land.

Once planted under a grant scheme, it is classed as forestry. It needs to be under trees forever thereafter, so one the current crop of trees is cut, it would need to be replanted again…

May not be an issue for your friends, but generally speaking forestry land would be 3-5k/acre whereas agri land could be 10-15k/acre (all depending on location of course)

If your friends want to plant, leave em off. But I would caution against planting land just out of spite against the people who rented it and there was perceived issues…

There is no spite here... doing the right thing for the land because the 3 separate people who was entrusted with its care did not fulfill their obligation to the land or the owner of same so this seems the best option available unless things changes...

The teagasc guy visited and i needed be there as because the owner not use pc some of the communication was through me... The teagasc guy said that quite of the land that is planted in his work area is as a result of people renting land to farmers not happy with how said land looked after...

It seems quite accepted norm rented land will be neglected...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭White Clover

I think it's quite clear now that you're making all this up. There are more holes in your story than a sieve.

You said there was dirt on the road after slurry spreading.

You have never said what damage was done to the land.

As for the idea we are unsustainable because we export so much beef. Ok.

As I said the idea of people eating seems to offend you. Especially I suspect poorer people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

There also has to be a sign displayed in a prominent position. If it's not the person that comes to inspect the site will insist that the planning be re-applied for.

Maybe we should diversify to more veg and fruit, what are peoples thoughts?

• Advertisement

I live beside them, only when the digger was in the signs were put up

The second silage cut was too late resulting in parts of the field getting ploughed up...

I said the dirt on road but it was the removal of these silage bales over the winter that caused the problem when it was agreed they be taken when harvested...

People can eat as they please.. my comment was that the thing we are best at producing some people cannot afford... i do not understand your comment about people...

One of the options being considered here is fruit trees closer to the house... The problem is that we think deer might like the odd apple after tea... It would not be a good idea to encourage deer by having ready-meals available...

Any advise on fruit trees welcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

At least you wouldn't have to milk them twice a day. Are people going to pay a fair price for it though....

There you go it's a horticulture course your nice aren't you. you wouldn't want to mention peat moss or anything god forbid mention anything about another industry without a underhanded motive it's been explained to you that slurry spreadin is not harmful when done properly If the farmers abused the land fair enough it's been repeated plenty on here we're all against such practices put up your pictures till we see sa for me I'm here for the craic to pass the time.....as you said yourself

If they cut the field to bits I'd run them too.

If there are deer, you'll need appropriate fencing.

What exactly am I caught for 😂😂 Your not really selling your point there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

From your posts I can tell you have limited farming experience. One mans “damage” is standard in another mans field. Weather windows can be tight.

I am sure if they stored bales then it did get cut up removing later. No big deal. A run of Harrow and you wouldn’t even know it next year.

There could have been any number of reasons the second cut was late, reasons making it unavoidable to do some damage. We missed a window this year ourself on 2.5 acres. Fert was a little late going out for second cut. Then when the weather was ok it wasn’t quite fit to cut, then when it was fit the weather window was gone. Could have got it there three weeks ago but didn’t as the quality of forage would have been poor.

I am assuming the land is a little heavy and that makes saving silage a little difficult.

so where are these pics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I would think you would have a good case to get planning overturned

Advertisement